Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC EXCLUSIVE – Robin Cook MP Message Of Support For Falmer!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tonight, I’m proud to say I shook the hand that gave the finger to Tony Blair over Iraq.

In the Women’s Guildy setting of the Old Market in Upper Market Street, Hove – five pounds admission including free glass of wine - you wanted Robin Cook to field questions all night. The man is witty, hyper-intelligent, gentle, morally straight as a rod and had the 200 or so of us present feeling privileged to hear first hand of the former Foreign Secretary’s dealings with world-class monsters such as Slobodan Milosevic and Dick Cheney, and his crucial views on ‘Tony’ (‘He didn’t flat out lie, but he was certainly less than candid’. That’ll be lying then…

Robin Cook bemoans the alienation of the electorate and the loss of trust in politicians arising from the Iraq ‘episode’. In the same way that those of us in the anti-war camp can fully appreciate the humanity in Colonel Tim Collins speech to his men on the eve of the Iraq war, I would defy anybody in the pro-war camp not to do a serious double-take on their views after an evening with the only member of the cabinet with the balls, insight and honesty to resign over a Bush administration-led adventure which has at a stroke managed to wipe out the post-11/9 feeling of nations of the world that ‘We Are All Americans Now’ and ultimately made the world an infinitely more dangerous place than it was before. Robin Cook's resignation speech from the government earnt an unheard-of round of applause which up til then was frankly just not done old bean. To read that speech is to understand the core of the war.

Robin Cook's Resignation Speech In Full

I heartily recommend the book. Not that I’ve had a chance to read it yet. Will stay up all night tonight and do just that. But I just know from listening to the guy talk for a couple of hours that it is a must-read for anybody with a take on the war. Which is most people with an IQ higher than their shoe size, I’d guess. Like Will Hutton of The Observer says: this is ‘The political book of the year; a lucid and compelling insider’s account of the two years that define the Blair Prime Ministership’. £7.99 paperback – check www.simonsays.co.uk to order, or get along to City Books at 23 Western Road, Hove (01273 725306) for a signed copy. Be rude not to, aye?

Back in the bar I showed Robin Cook a copy of the Falmer March flyer and explained that Albion Fans would be taking part in a peaceful march on the Monday of Conference and explained that our immediate future lay in the hands of his colleague, one Mr. J.Prescott Esq. He was only to happy to add a message of support to my nicked poster.

What a top bloke is all I can say. :bowdown:

(photos to follow in a couple of mins when I get 'em hosted)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here's the cover of 'The Point Of departure'

(image edited to save bandwidth)

rcbookd.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bugger! Didn't realise it would come out quite so bloody BIG!

(image edited to save bandwidth)

And here it is...

rcsignd.jpg

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've read the book and is very scathing on the USA in particular.

Rather than hating Blair and New Labour, he sees it as being a bit of a missed opportunity. Rubs up to Gordon Brown alot (and I think is part of a strategy for a return to cabinet in Gordon Browns Britain)

One problem with it is that it is advertised as being predominantly about the Irag war. It isn't, has loads on House of Lords reform. Which is fair enough, but a bit "dry" in places.

Anyway, came away thinking what a genuinely top bloke the guy is. Wish I could have been there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a book I've been meaning to read, Tom, I'll pop into City Books today and get it.

Never mind Iraq. Did you ask him to become NSC's resident tipster? He's a man who knows his horses and there are a few struggling in poverty following Gareth's selections.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
Never mind Iraq. Did you ask him to become NSC's resident tipster? He's a man who knows his horses and there are a few struggling in poverty following Gareth's selections.

Let's just say that GG's 'Pinsticker' column has been given the dreaded vote of confidence by the NSC chairman... :wave:

Robin Cook is the voice and concience of REAL Labour. Rather than obediently following the offical Blair line, he stood by his principles. "One day," lets hope he returns as leader.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Principles?

The man who left his wife for his secretary?

Oh and sorry Tom but all that says is Good luck for the stadium.

Norman Baker said the same to me when I spoke to him

Not support for Falmer really. ???

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
Principles?

Blimey Yorkie - somebody got out of bed the wrong side this morning! :ohmy:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can you email it to me?

richardmorris1981@hotmail.com

cheers

I am pro war but respect Cook for his views etc and his sticking to them.
His personal life bears no reflection on this. Maybe he left his wife for a reason Yorkie? The marriage may not have been working, she may have been making his life a misery or he simply may not have been happy.

People leave their partners every day.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
and some people go out with people half their age....but its peoples own personal preference isnt it, its his life. his actions didnt kill anyone as a result

Yorkie said:
Principles?

I was comenting on his politics not his private life! He left his wife for somebody else. So? It happens every day of the week. It's life. Anyway, surely you don't expect politicians to set a moral example do you? ;)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Will he join us on the march though?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie and bigc, any man who lies to his wife about an affair that went on for years and then finally walks out on them, has shown a great deal of untrustworthiness.
If a man can do that to his own family then how can he be trustworthy in public office?

As for going out with someone a lot younger does marrying them and staying married for 11 years count as immoral too? ???

As I stated before, the message says nothing about Falmer at all (unfortunately)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Take the time to read the book, he's obviously mucked up his private life but in terms of his political views and public morals he is a very "humane" human being.

He also is still very close with his children from his previous marriage, so give the guy a break.

Old Labour? Not a bit of it. Very intelligent and misunderstood bloke.

We will see him back in the cabinet under Brown.

Of course the Tories never had affairs......

Archer, Norris, Parkinson, Major, Redwood

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Richie Morris said:
Oh and how Yorkie, how can you comment on his wife etc? You dont know the situation there may have been good reason for it.

The reason Cook left his wife was because he was having an affair with his secretary.

Blair demanded he make a decision so he did in an airport departure lounge and told his wife he was divorcing her.

Very honourable my arse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here