Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC dodged a Tory lawsuit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to The Sunday Times innocent Lord McAlpine is going after at least 10,000 t'internet libellers.

He's after £5 and an apology, for charity.

I'm pretty sure we didn't get involved, did we?

I saw it very very early on, on a cycling forum and very nearly copied it over to here.
But figured if cyclists know everybody does, so it's not worth it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dunno

If you type "his name" into the search function, it comes up with 6 pages of stuff, although most seem to be about Huddersfield I think (but not all).

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I plead insanity

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me thinks he doth protest too much.

He certainly likes being in the spot light. Everyone knows you're innocent, let it go.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
He has a point though. Being wrongly labelled a paedophile has very grave consequences. People have been killed (the paediatrician in Portsmouth), peoples careers ruined. A stand needs to be taken so that hopefully there will be a ban on any suspect of any offence being named until at least charge. People need to learn they cannot gossip on global media like Twitter with impunity. I'm sure if I was wrongly accused of something and thousands of people were repeating these untrue allegations, I'd be mightily f***ed off too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Be interesting to see if anything surfaces about an even more prominent Tory, now dead, in the coming months. Heard that one twenty years ago from somebody who had no reason to randomly make it up.

Dandyman

In London village.
Be interesting to see if anything surfaces about an even more prominent Tory, now dead, in the coming months. Heard that one twenty years ago from somebody who had no reason to randomly make it up.

A once rather large and now dead Liberal MP has been mentioned a number of times as well.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
Fair play to him though (never thought id say that about a Tory) Reckon he could kick up more of a fuss and ask for a lot more compensation, i wouldve in his position. AND it goes to charity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair play to him though (never thought id say that about a Tory) Reckon he could kick up more of a fuss and ask for a lot more compensation, i wouldve in his position. AND it goes to charity.
It's not about the money.
He's got them by the dangles, now needs a quick resolution which will high light his innocence throughout.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's got them by the dangles, now needs a quick resolution which will high light his innocence throughout.

He hasn't though, has he. To get a fiver off each of them will presumably mean taking each of them individually through the courts. Which will cost considerably more than a fiver a head.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He hasn't though, has he. To get a fiver off each of them will presumably mean taking each of them individually through the courts. Which will cost considerably more than a fiver a head.
The story says many people (pooping themselves) have got in touch with the lawyers written an apology and paid up some cash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Richard Herrings take on the story:-

[tweet]270132586234392576[/tweet]

[tweet]270133059339300864[/tweet]

[tweet]270133117426212864[/tweet]

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

As you can't libel the dead, I am assuming you mean former Prime Minister Edward Heath??

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He has a point though. Being wrongly labelled a paedophile has very grave consequences. People have been killed (the paediatrician in Portsmouth), peoples careers ruined. A stand needs to be taken so that hopefully there will be a ban on any suspect of any offence being named until at least charge. People need to learn they cannot gossip on global media like Twitter with impunity. I'm sure if I was wrongly accused of something and thousands of people were repeating these untrue allegations, I'd be mightily f***ed off too.

The paediatrician in Portsmouth was not killed, she was driven out of her home by semi-literate neanderthals who scrawled Paedo across her front door. This was the Paulsgrove estate, and a mob mentality was prevalent. Who knows how 'ugly' it could have got?

But McAlpine...everyone who matters has squirmed and apologised. To go after individuals on the internet is a bit sad really, what point is he trying to make exactly? Just let it go...

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes

Fair enough, i must confess i dont know much about the case. Assuming his innocence, it would only be fair that he had the people who accused him by the danglies*, you cant just post rumours about someone that turn out to be untrue and not expect to be punished was the point i was trying to make (not very well)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Richard Herrings take on it

He makes a good point. Given Thatcher has never sued me I can only presume I am correct in my assessment of her evilness.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
According to The Sunday Times innocent Lord McAlpine is going after at least 10,000 t'internet libellers.

He's after £5 and an apology, for charity.

I'm pretty sure we didn't get involved, did we?

I saw it very very early on, on a cycling forum and very nearly copied it over to here.
But figured if cyclists know everybody does, so it's not worth it.
If he was falsely accused of being a Palace fan , it would have been £20 a pop for charity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here