Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

not poyets fault losing murray!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
There is no way Murray would have scored 30 goals if he was here this season. Palace play two wingers, who give him great service whereas we only play one at most. Also, he missed so many penalties when he played for us that he wouldn't be on penalty taking duties.

The point about penalties is a good one , Glenn doesn't take a good penalty IMO and has missed a few this season . If we got one tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take it .

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Nobody was bitching about this the day Gus signed CMS, nobody anywhere thought it was such a massive disaster then. It's only now that people are saying it was a massive mistake, did anyone seriously think Murray was a 30+ championship goal scorer the day he left us?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody was bitching about this the day Gus signed CMS, nobody anywhere thought it was such a massive disaster then. It's only now that people are saying it was a massive mistake, did anyone seriously think Murray was a 30+ championship goal scorer the day he left us?

He got just 6 goals under Freedman at Palace, which was less than CMS or Barnes last season. It's Holloway who has turned Murray into a top Championship striker. I doubt that he would have got as many goals if he had stayed with us regardless of money.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Your right, nobody was moaning at the time, because we had faith in the manager that had just won a championship. Almost two years on, that faith is somewhat diminished.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
He got just 6 goals under Freedman at Palace, which was less than CMS or Barnes last season. It's Holloway who has turned Murray into a top Championship striker. I doubt that he would have got as many goals if he had stayed with us regardless of money.

I agree, he wouldn't have scored as many for us.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Nope and I reckon just total bullshit to cover up the major cock up by the club

Tony Bloom said at the Seagulls Over Burwash meeting last week that the board and Poyet made Murray an offer (in their view) on his ability as a player but Palace offered him more, it was as simple as that. Still the biggest cock up since letting Dean Saunders go for a song back in the 80's, just wish they'd admit it, but people in football rarely do, ego's get in the way.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Tony Bloom said at the Seagulls Over Burwash meeting last week that the board and Poyet made Murray an offer (in their view) on his ability as a player but Palace offered him more, it was as simple as that. Still the biggest cock up since letting Dean Saunders go for a song back in the 80's, just wish they'd admit it, but people in football rarely do, ego's get in the way.

A player and his agent shouldn't be allowed to hold the club to ransom. No player is bigger than the club.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove

Well i think some were but it was drowned out by the we want poyets babies brigade:facepalm:
FLAIRTASTICO and all that rubbish:blush:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A player and his agent shouldn't be allowed to hold the club to ransom. No player is bigger than the club.

To a certain extent however we could have saved £2.75M and kept what we had which in a lot of peoples view was a far better option.

I think the other issue ignored here is Poyet did not like Murray as hardly his profile type player as Murray was a bit aloof and a loner. A telling sign was the video post Dagenham at home where all the players were celebrating and Poyet as good as blanked him. Also I cannot see any way Murray would have joined in this happy clappy stuff post pre-match warm up. He is very much a player that just lets his football do the talking.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

What difference will admitting it make? It was a management (board and manager according to the chairman) decision made in good faith, that has turned out, with hindsight, to be the wrong decision. It happens.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How many people were crying when he went, Palace even tried to off load him prior to his run of goals. If it was this easy to know what players will become goal machines, football would be a different game.

I'm still peed off we let Dean Saunders go :nono:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Are you sure? I'm sure He was scoring freely this season before Holloway arrived. He has just continued to do so.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
To a certain extent however we could have saved £2.75M and kept what we had which in a lot of peoples view was a far better option.

We will get some of that 2.75M back ( either in cash or towards a player exchange ) when CMS moves on, so it's not all bad.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

If he then stayed and only scored 6 goals and appeared disinterested then the same out come. At the time, as others have said, we appeared to have landed a much more exciting player and better goal scorer in cms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing..... Can we all let it go now please.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We will get some of that 2.75M back ( either in cash or towards a player exchange ), so it's not all bad.

Personally I do not think that much, this is up there with Dick Knight rejecting a £3M offer for Zamora from Everton

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

At the time though given a choice between Murray and CMS all the indications were that CMS was an improvement to the quality of the squad. Some you win and some you lose.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If he then stayed and only scored 6 goals and appeared disinterested then the same out come. At the time, as others have said, we appeared to have landed a much more exciting player and better goal scorer in cms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing..... Can we all let it go now please.

I let it go ages ago, doesn't bother me at all but just debating the point.

We are where we are now which is pretty good in all honesty as effortlessly become a pretty good Championship team in with a shout of the play-offs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Murray had scored 10 in 11 games this season before Holloway took over. He was already in form when Freedman left and Holloway has continued that fine form. I don't think he would have scored as many for us at this level but we played to his strengths in League 1 and he scored for fun so who knows. All of this is being said with hindsight though as none of us could see him having the season of his life after a relatively poor first season at Palace.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At the time though given a choice between Murray and CMS all the indications were that CMS was an improvement to the quality of the squad. Some you win and some you lose.

Would not disagree with that either but CMS had a poor track record in the Championship whereas GM was unproven.

The bleeding obvious is if you play to either strengths they score goals so probably GM would not have scored many either as our style is different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here