Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not every footy fan's in support - a Reading fan response

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Please respect other's opinions but had this emailed back from a Reading friend who'd asked fellow fans to support us. He himself has been marvellous and responsible for getting a number of Berkshire's small town to support us.....! but this was a response he got from one fan at the Mad Stad......so those who drag our club's name into shame like a few at Luton please remember to curb that unnecessary agression (not passion):

(Have included my reply to the Reading fan c/o my friend), read from the bottom up and remember most of them are on our side

> ........talk about sweeping statements and tarring 'everyone' with the same brush! Sounds a very bitter and twisted individual seeing the bad side of the game rather than the positive. Have to say a couple of his "points" are laughable because he's essentially moaning about the crap "temporary" ground
we've got!! He'll get no argument from any Brighton fans on that score!! That's what the campaigns all about!! As for Meridian TV, ditto. Either you're Portsmouth or S'ton or you ain't on. Our message boards are littered with people saying the same about the coverage of BHA. And when they do have something to
say they usually screw it up because of poor research!!
> I'm just glad he's in a minority and not all Reading fans have bourne such ill feeling to a fellow football club in its true hour of need. There isn't a club out there with whiter than white supporters who frequently make the atmosphere that less vocal supporters are so quick to claim a part of! Irony indeed. I'm
sure your friends chanted or shouted something down the years at opposition players that would surprise hims family?! Does he think that the typical Brighton fan like me, presently doing this sort of thing for our club also turns up and twats other clubs fans on a saturday and chucks balls at ball boys (think
you'll find it was Zamora who did that and he probably got no coverage of the flowers, written apology and signed shirt that he gave the young lad afterwards)? As for bad blood, sorry but we'll always hate Palace more than you but weren't you after a rival anyway?! That's what makes football fun for gods sake! And bloody hell, if any one team came along and took your successful
manager and "poached" key players you'd give them the same reception! Reading "ain't" popular on Saturday's in Sussex between 3 and 4.45pm but we're mates at work etc. Can't remember you cheering when we took the championship from under your noses (sorry couldn't resisit!). But you were very sporting about it as I am when the occassion merits it, ie when you got 2nd PLACE. SORRY THAT WAS SECOND PLACE in the championship race!

> You yourself though have been a star mate and we really appreciate the stuff you've done at Reading - I mentioned it in a campaign up date along with other fans of others clubs (Charlton etc) At the end of the day your friend has his reasons and I guess we have to respect them. But it's such a shame because our problem is unique and really not of our (the fans
or current board) making - it's not overspending on player wages or poor support. Far from it. It's about the legacy of a corrupt businessman, central govt being casually dismissive of an overwhelming supported local amenity and a massive community of passionate people fighting for a cause they believe in. The
latter is utterly commendable and I'm proud to be a part of that what ever happens. Today people have become divorced from the communities they live in more than ever before, football is one of a dwindling number that actually bucks this trend and binds people together. Maybe you'll want to forward my opinion to
your friend?

> Cheers
> Steve
>
> PS Real Madrid, who are they?!!
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> Sent: 10 February 2004 10:36
> To: Subject: BHA
>
> I asked some of my fellow Reading supporters to sign up to your
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Falmer/
> and this is response I had, I have make this person nameless, and have not
printed his first response which went something like.....off
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Reasons why I don't like Brighton & Hove Albion:
> - My mate's dad, attending his first ever Reading game, was punched without provocation by one of their supporters on the day that Reading won the Div 2 title in 1994.
> - The fact that they bleated to RFC, even making an official complaint, that we only gave them 2,000 tickets instead of the 4,000 they wanted for the crucial promotion game at the MadStad in March 2002. We had only been given 700 poxy
seats for the Stadium of Shite the Withdean.
> - The fact that Brighton fans came onto 'Hob Nob Anyone?' in their droves to complain about the above. Their self-important supporters seem to think that their club (a) is the only club ever to have had problems (b) has a fanbase equivalent to that of Real Madrid.
> - The bad blood between Reading & BHA over Junior Lewis/Steve Sidwell/SteveCoppell. Reading winning 2 out of the 3 'tug of war' battles over players and personnel.
> - The fact that BBC South love all the south coast teams and don't give Reading FC equivalent coverage. If they're not covering Cowes Week (which seems to last 52 weeks of the year) then they're going on about Brighton, Portsmouth,
Southampton etc.
> - The Brighton fan whose laughable attempt at having a go at me after we won 1-0 at the Withdean last season was by shouting: "f*** off you f***ing shit team".
> - Brighton fans throwing a ball into the face of a young RFC ball boy at theMadStad last season.
> - The fact that they are even allowed to play at the Withdean, when the likes of Stevenage Borough have been denied entry into the league due to their stadiums not being up to requirements

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
> - The fact that BBC South love all the south coast teams and don't give Reading FC equivalent coverage. If they're not covering Cowes Week (which seems to last 52 weeks of the year) then they're going on about Brighton, Portsmouth,
Southampton etc.

what! :shootself theyre one of the clubs that get the most coverage in that lame attempt of a news show

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Those "reasons I don't like BHA" just look so unbelievably petty.
So some football fans are a bit annoying - well, well, who'd have thought it. Wonder if he's ever come across any people who happen to be irritating AND Reading fans.
And in those tug-of-player/manager struggles, Reading seem to be the ones who have come out better off each time, so where's the problem?

Isolated examples - the real story is just how much fulsome support there's been from so many clubs and supporters, will always be a few mouthy, petty pricks.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Agree, hence my reply. That blinkered grudge bearing (10 years+!) is exactly the sort that NIMBYs at Withdean used, akin to us coming to violate their daughters, burn their homes and eat their babies. All atrocities that I've, funnily enough, not seen reported by the evening argus since we moved into the mock-tudor estate....bound to happen one day before we leave though eh?!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
STAR, who are a Reading supporters' organisation have been in touch and have been ultra-supportive of our cause.

In fact, it is probably remiss of me to have not mentioned it before now. Many thanks lads and lasses.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Well, I don't like Reading because they've got their stripes the wrong way round. So there.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Everest said:
Well, I don't like Reading because they've got their stripes the wrong way round. So there.

:lolol: :lolol:

I posted on the Royals.org website (along with Inkerman) and the responses there have been good and supportive

All clubs have their ignorant people.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Plenty of ignorant people around. Over the last couple of years many of our fans have spent away matches abusing and insulting the home fans. Banter? bollo!
This along with the arrogant belief that Falmer was a certainty has not helped our cause. The one good thing about the last week has been that it brought Albion fans together again.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mona said:
Plenty of ignorant people around. Over the last couple of years many of our fans have spent away matches abusing and insulting the home fans. Banter? bollo!
This along with the arrogant belief that Falmer was a certainty has not helped our cause. The one good thing about the last week has been that it brought Albion fans together again.

And maybe it'll quieten down some of our fans who use every game to insult the opposition? I doubt it-as has already been said, every club has its bunch of idiots and we're no different. Sadly, our idiots are not helping our cause-either at games or on other clubs' websites.

Even in that diatribe of poisonous vitriol, the Reading muppet manages to identify two good reasons why Prescott should say YES:-

We had only been given 700 poxy seats for the Stadium of Shite the Withdean.

The fact that they are even allowed to play at the Withdean, when the likes of Stevenage Borough have been denied entry into the league due to their stadiums not being up to requirements

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thats the fact of the matter....

I've had some disgraceful experiences at Chelsea - I know there are quite a few Chelsea fans around Shoreham, but I have never sat with such a disgusting bunch of stinking, foul mouthed, racist, peeing in cola bottles and throwing them at people, as I witnessed at Chelsea.... and that for me is enough to hate their fans, BUT - not the club and team in general....

Everyone doesn't see the same things at every game - although my decision is that even if Chelsea were in the same situation as us - I'd still help out to keep football alive and well....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Brighton fan whose laughable attempt at having a go at me after we won 1-0 at the Withdean last season was by shouting: "f*** off you f***ing shit team".

That's brilliant:jester:

I am not suprised to be honest, as I generally find that the Reading fans I have met are to be ignorant. They laughed when they got Coppell, think they are some kind of BIG club, and deserve to be in the premiership, and I do not like the way their chairman conducts his business.

However, that is not Reading fans in general, just the majority I have met. The fans who come on here (Reading Ali, Wilts) seem very nice.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lord Bracknell said:
If we were in the same situation as Chelsea ...

Well. Dream on!

:lolol:

c'mon Lord B - optimism please - you know I'm going to be financial Director of the Club one day and then the skys the limit!!

:lol: :blush:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Do we really expect some kind of 100% unity amonst RIVAL fans ??

If you do, you are sadly deluded, Im getting a bit bored with postings of one or two spiteful fans from rival clubs opinions on us whether it be Orient, Reading, Crawley or whatever.

What the f*** did we REALLY expect.

In truth the majority of support has been very good from my perspective, as the majority of football fans are fairly reasonable, if for one minute you think that everyone is going to have the same opinion then there would be no need to campaign !!

If we all held the same views life would be a very sad place, and as I am constantly saying, these people just give me the resolve to fight harder so that our eventual victory will taste that little bit sweeter.

See you in Hull !

Last edited:

Well, he did display the single most idiotic thing that opposing fans might say against us when we ask for their support (and he isn't the only person to say it) - the complaint that we have a shit ground for them to come and visit, they can't get enough tickets, etc etc. Dumb fucks. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, support Falmer, then!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
That geezer has his points and fairplay as to be honest i couldn't in my wildest dreams ask reading or palarse for any help.:drink:
Its importantant that rivalry in anyway is kept as all getting on will just be boring.

It is our fight and a fight we will win and to exspect everyone to like us and help us will not happen thats a fact,well in my eyes we are not well liked by many clubs and that will never change.:lolol:
If reading or palarse was in our position i can honestly say that not in my life time would i help full stop.:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here