Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia Thread - TV during the School Hols

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Once Upon a Time ...Man
Cartoon about life through the ages with the same core of characters throughout, including a druidal dude (drude!) with a long white beard and a calendar type character with arms and eyesin the top right corner reminding you of the year. The opening sequence was excellent- starting from caveman progressing through time and beyond finishing with life on a space station. Didn't get past Elizabethan times either because a) I grew up b)pulled because it was crap or (more likely) c)meridian took over, and replaced it with some debate type show.

Usually followed by Wattoo Wattoo Superbird :clap2: :clap2:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Double Deckers (apparently the token black kid is now in Aswad)
Banana Splits... name them? (Snork was the elephant one)
Tarzan: feat. "Ji"
Arabian Knights

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
medicine man said:
Once Upon a Time ...Man
Cartoon about life through the ages
That was excellent, it was Spanish I think.

Having grown up abroad for a while, I can't really play this game - :( as I always genuinely get confused as to what was on in the UK and what in Germany.

A cartoon about a friendly bee (Maja) with a catchy theme tune and friends in the form of grasshoppers, mice etc wasn't on, for example, in the UK, I believe (I may be wrong), but was unmissable telly in me teutonic youth. I've never seen, say, White Horses or Chorlton and the Wheelies - I've only heard of them from "whatever happened to white dog poo" nostalgia TV shows.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Re: once upon a time

I've just found this!!
www.procidis.com (tried doing a link that didn't work)
follow the links to the title sequence.

and you can get the dvds! 11 hours worth!!!

Last edited:

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Why Don't You... Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?

Something I did every time it came on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think Why Don't You is getting a fairly rough ride here - I for one liked those clips of kids with unusual hobbies/obsessions. I dimly remember seeing a wee anorak-clad 8-9 Scottish boy with a fervent obsession with 1920s and 30s jazz pianist Fats Waller - he sang like him and everything.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Man of Harveys said:
I think Why Don't You is getting a fairly rough ride here - I for one liked those clips of kids with unusual hobbies/obsessions. I dimly remember seeing a wee anorak-clad 8-9 Scottish boy with a fervent obsession with 1920s and 30s jazz pianist Fats Waller - he sang like him and everything.

I was watching Robinson Crusoe on the other side.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
The Double Deckers (apparently the token black kid is now in Aswad)
Banana Splits... name them? (Snork was the elephant one)
Tarzan: feat. "Ji"
Arabian Knights

Brinsley Forde has been in Aswad for over 30 years.

re Banana Splits - Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork

Arabian Knights - Size of an elephant!

also from Banana spilts - The Four Musketeers. And anyone remember the Sour Grapes Bunch?

Lush

Mods' Pet
re Why Don't You. I remember watching one of those TV nostalgia programmes where they admitted that they made up all the "things you should be doing that are less boring" as the ONLY think that kids ever wrote in with was the recipe for chocolate crispie cakes!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
casey Jones

Flash Gordon

Tintin

The Flashing Blade's dubbing was just hilarious

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lush said:
Brinsley Forde has been in Aswad for over 30 years.

re Banana Splits - Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork

Arabian Knights - Size of an elephant!

also from Banana spilts - The Four Musketeers. And anyone remember the Sour Grapes Bunch?

Anyone remember The Double Dekkers?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dies Irae said:
Flash Gordon

Special Effects were top notch

:jester:

The story so far...

Flash having rescued Dale Arden from the Arborians now finds that Ming has hypnotised Dr Zarkov and turned him against Flash. Meanwhile Prince Barin has escaped from the clutches of the Lizardmen and is on his way to join forces with Flash as they attempt to thwart (great word) Mings attempt to reduce the earth to radioactive rubble...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here