Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich City if you were the owner.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Delia & the Board just accept that they’ll forever be a yo-yo club and never in debt. Occasionally unearthing a gem in their scouting and youth system to sell on.

Not a bad business model.

I'd hate that as a fan. It's a 2 year long Groundhog Day.

I think if I was these owners I'd sell up to a buyer who were willing to investment in an academy and recruitment team and take a few calculated risks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think if I was these owners I'd sell up to a buyer who were willing to investment in an academy and recruitment team and take a few calculated risks.

The EPL seasons would be hell for me, I’m a bad loser and impatient, not your ‘enjoy the journey’ losses and all fan.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

They have just started to invest 30m in their training ground and academy. Using cash in the bank

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Delia & the Board just accept that they’ll forever be a yo-yo club and never in debt. Occasionally unearthing a gem in their scouting and youth system to sell on.

Doesn't do their fans a lot of good though!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They have just started to invest 30m in their training ground and academy. Using cash in the bank

They're doing the right thing then. It's just a shame the last two Prem seasons have been utter write-offs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Doesn't do their fans a lot of good though!

There’s a high chance of a ‘club like Norwich’ going down any EPL season anyway. Especially with the ever-growing list of multi billionaires owning the other clubs. Three out of a small number will.

If the board ain’t got the money, so be it.

There’s far worse run clubs or scenarios in English football, the Championship and League One is a who’s who of fanbases dreaming of EPL football, who never make it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Board Members are too old. I don't say that their business model is wrong but if I was forking out for a season ticket in the PL I would be hoping for a bit more of an effort to try and stay up. Half the people on the Board are in their 70s and 80s I think and at that age they are more likely to be " risk adverse ".

If I was a fan I would be looking for some " fresh blood " at Board Level. Or maybe they are happy being battered every two years and winning in the alternative year.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Given the excitement of our promotion season, I can see the attraction of being a yo yo club, especially if it means you are also able to make a profit. However the question is if after a few years of that it becomes more of an anti-climax. Hard to say as I became Brighton when we were at the bottom of league one celebrating a great escape, so I have not experienced a repeat promotion. That being said our promotion year from the championship was one of my favourites ever, hopefully eclipsed when we finally win the PL :).

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Joking aside Norwich have a fair superior "history" than us with a smaller city population. 5 championship titles and 4 League Cup final appearances.

I think they do well.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yes quite so. As a club they remind me of us , isolated from any other Clubs , and have a solid fan base. Pity we don't have their trophy cabinet.

Norwich really are cut off (relatively speaking in this small country of ours) from other clubs though compared to the vast majority of professional clubs, while we are a mere stones throw from London and a whole host of big and middle sized clubs. Also factor in the number of Londoners who move here and bring their London allegiance with them.

That said, they do have an impressive history considering their size. Their model now is to be admired for sure, but I'd be bored of going up and down by now if I were a fan. Their promotion seasons can't be that exhilarating anymore, surely.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Early days but not looking good yet if were the owner/majority shareholder what would you do ? Sack the management and change the set up or stick with the current arrangement and bank parachute payand possibly secure NCFC long term, after all and new management team would like a bag of cash to spend.

Can we give a thumbs down to this? Like who actually gives a f@@k?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

……… until one of the alternate years they miss out on promotion…..

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just watched the Norwich vs Leeds game. That had to be down as a must win or must not lose game. At home vs a struggling Leeds.

Lost 2-1. They were pants. No fight after going 2-1 down even with 30 mins to go.

From memory, they almost went bankrupt a few years ago and I'm sure Delias philosophy priority is to primarily not go down the pan as a club. And then a far second, try and stay in the PL.

As an aside, I assume as they bounced back up, they didn't get a second parachute payment?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Early days but not looking good yet if were the owner/majority shareholder what would you do ? Sack the management and change the set up or stick with the current arrangement and bank parachute payand possibly secure NCFC long term, after all and new management team would like a bag of cash to spend.

Frankly, I would sell up, on the grounds that I'd done a pretty good job down quite a few years now, and it's time for someone else to take the reins - and the stress. Enjoy my millions in a more relaxed way. Maybe buy a lifetime season ticket in the posh seats, and just enjoy watching the football when I felt like it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here