Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Norwich and Watford

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Yes, but that is an entirely different topic.

Not really, the post you quoted said fewer relegated sides are struggling now than they were 5 to 10 years ago. The facts show that over the last 10 years clubs are much more likely to be in contention for promotion straight after being relegated than not. So they are much more likely to be "sometimes maybe good" than "sometimes maybe shiet"

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
A lot of NSC noise is only based on last match, let alone last season. We beat Liverpool away. Yay, Potter is a genius. Can't wait till next season. We lose to Sheff Utd away. Fvck me, we're shite. Potter has no Plan B, they've taken 4 pts off us and they're virtually the worst Prem team ever. Potter is useless, Potter Out! Fortunately, some fans take a more measured view.

You make a good point. I sometimes fall into the trap of judging the manager and team on the latest result. But you can also have a more measured view which can lead you to the 2 alternatives as well.

I'm sticking to - we get relegated Potter should go - we stay up he stays.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not really, the post you quoted said fewer relegated sides are struggling now than they were 5 to 10 years ago. The facts show that over the last 10 years clubs are much more likely to be in contention for promotion straight after being relegated than not. So they are much more likely to be "sometimes maybe good" than "sometimes maybe shiet"

Sure, but there is really very little difference in recent seasons compared to ten years ago, which is what I replied to. There is very little indicating that it will only be six teams swapping places with eachother with three of them playing the Championship and three of them in the Premier League every other season, like blue-shifted thought. Nothing (except for this last season) is pointing in that direction.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It really pisses me off .. all Prem clubs get +4-5M windfall to piss away on another no name transfer or give ano another £30,000 a week when the need for financial help in L1 and beneath is so acute.

Caught the end of the same debate on Talksport earlier, so let's hope there is a move to try to correct some of the excesses of the PL

I heard part of the Talksport chat this morning and Simon Jordan made a lot of sense as he does from time to time. This time he made the point that if Bournemouth return with Norwich and Watford, that's £100m of parachute payments that the Premier League budgeted for and signed off to pay out to EFL clubs. Rather than just rub their hands and keep it, it could just as easily go to the EFL where it was going in the first place and feed the other 72 clubs who have struggled on throughout the pandemic without the mighty TV rewards extended to the Premier League. Jordan went as far as to include the non league clubs and grass roots football. He didn't have a formula, but the idea should have legs. As he said, a few million back to each of the Premier League clubs as just a bit more on top of the massive wedge of TV money coming their way next year. To any club below the Premier League, it could mean surviving the summer and playing a full part next season. I hate the idea that Bury have gone with a whimper. I know two things about Bury. They had a Football League club and they played at Gigg Lane. That's it and that was enough for me, but it gave the town an identity in my little world. Releasing a million to each club in the EFL would surely be a good thing, especially not structured to give more to the billionaire owners in the Championship. A windfall to all with the only strings being nothing to the owners and everything towards maintaining the clubs financial viability even if it goes to paying off back tax and VAT. whatever it takes.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I heard part of the Talksport chat this morning and Simon Jordan made a lot of sense as he does from time to time. This time he made the point that if Bournemouth return with Norwich and Watford, that's £100m of parachute payments that the Premier League budgeted for and signed off to pay out to EFL clubs. Rather than just rub their hands and keep it, it could just as easily go to the EFL where it was going in the first place and feed the other 72 clubs who have struggled on throughout the pandemic without the mighty TV rewards extended to the Premier League. Jordan went as far as to include the non league clubs and grass roots football. He didn't have a formula, but the idea should have legs. As he said, a few million back to each of the Premier League clubs as just a bit more on top of the massive wedge of TV money coming their way next year. To any club below the Premier League, it could mean surviving the summer and playing a full part next season. I hate the idea that Bury have gone with a whimper. I know two things about Bury. They had a Football League club and they played at Gigg Lane. That's it and that was enough for me, but it gave the town an identity in my little world. Releasing a million to each club in the EFL would surely be a good thing, especially not structured to give more to the billionaire owners in the Championship. A windfall to all with the only strings being nothing to the owners and everything towards maintaining the clubs financial viability even if it goes to paying off back tax and VAT. whatever it takes.

Super idea.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Kindly donated their parachute payments to help us buy a striker for next season .

Ta very much .

Are we getting all of it from both clubs, or just a part of it shared out amongst other clubs? how much are we talking about?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Are we getting all of it from both clubs, or just a part of it shared out amongst other clubs? how much are we talking about?

Roughly £50M per club re-promoted, put back into the pot to be distributed between the 20 PL clubs (including those clubs).

Currently that's about £5M for us, unless something else is done with it as stated above.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think a lot of folk have had the same thoughts as him.

I'd be surprised if it happens. All this talk in the last week about the sanctity and togetherness of the English game will fall at this first opportunity to show it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think a lot of folk have had the same thoughts as him.

I'd be surprised if it happens. All this talk in the last week about the sanctity and togetherness of the English game will fall at this first opportunity to show it.

I'm pretty sure there are six teams in the Premier League who'd vote against giving any of it away.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only 14 would have to vote for it.

... not that I think most would.

Agree.

This is not the first time it's happened, every time a relegated club bounces back it happens of course. This time hopefully there might be enough media/social pressure to get them to reconsider. They will spin a story out of it but they will only do it if forced. The 'greed' isn't exclusive to the 6

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Morally, to give £100 million back to the EFL to distribute among its member is the right thing to do.

However, from an Albion perspective living in the real world of the Premier League, losing £68 million last year so having to sell Bissouma to remain competitive, that £5 million is a significant amount of money - it buys you a player like Caicedo who has the attributes to turn into the next Bissouma.

The gap between us and the Championship is wide, but the gap between us and the Top 6 is just as wide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here