Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Northern Lights Restaurant

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Thinking of going to this restaurant - its in East St and serves Scandinavian food. Has anyone else been and can they recommend anything off the menu?

Jul 20, 2003
Went last year and shared meatballs, rye bread, fishy stuff and reindeer i.e. Scandinavian food. It was all pretty good, makes a change and the atmosphere is conducive to having a few too many vodkas

Word of warning, I've since been told that one of the staff has changed his name to Manu to reflect the football team he supports, he's from Scandinavia - naturally.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's not really a restaurant, it's a Scandinavian bar that does food.

I had a party here once where they did a pretty sizeable spread of cold and cooked treats. It's all a bit different (unless you actually are Scandinavian) and very tasty.

Expect meatballs, herring, salmon, reindeer and the like. However, don't expect a quiet and romantic full service meal because the place can get quite busy and rowdy. Try the cans of GIN and Fisherman's Friend shooters.

I love this bar

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
What the f*** is a Fishermans Friend shooter. The last I heard of them was the old Kemp Town joke
.I had a sore throat so I sucked a fishermans friend and dropped him off on the way here

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I bought a bottle of some fisherman's friend tasting liqueur on my way back from Denmark last year. Its bloody weird.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had bear pizza (which also had some reindeer on it) and reindeer kebab when I went to lapland last year. It was quite nice.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
The shot you refer to is probably a version of Salmiaki Kossu, which is finnish liquorice dissolved in Koskenkorva vodka. An alternative used in the bars around here is to use Turkkish Pepper sweets crushed up and dissolved in vodka. Personally, I quite like the stuff. Another thing I've done with the vodka is to pickle peeled garlick cloves in it. It's fantastic.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I took the other half there a couple of months ago.

Really nice food, though try to avoid the salmon and caper pancakes! :sick:

And Lapin Kulta beer is bloody fantastic :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not a restaurant, but a rather narrow and often unhinged bar.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I once went to a 'Northern Lights' cafe in Amsterdam, but it didn't sell food....just coffee and funny smelling tobacco!

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I once went to a 'Northern Lights' cafe in Amsterdam, but it didn't sell food....just coffee and funny smelling tobacco!

Went to the same Cafe ,woke up after unknown length of time with cold coffee and half of a cigarrette in the ash tray.Couldn`t see a f***ing thing had to show a taxi driver my Hotel key fob so he could drive me there.Strange

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Went to the same Cafe ,woke up after unknown length of time with cold coffee and half of a cigarrette in the ash tray.Couldn`t see a f***ing thing had to show a taxi driver my Hotel key fob so he could drive me there.Strange

this......its uprising what the coffee will do you, must have been all the caffeine!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What about the larger bit upstairs with crockery, cutlery, tables, chairs, food and waitresses? Is that not a restaurant?

Really? I've never seen the upstairs bit set up as a restaurant. It's always been set up as a bar, just like downstairs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in there a few weeks ago, and in the upstairs bit, and there was a girl on the next door table dressed as a Henry vacuum cleaner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here