Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Stand Unreserved Seating

That's nothing to do with it, you will not change the singing groups within the north, the police box crew have not succeeded in getting their songs spread because some of the north will not sing their songs and vice versa

This is an issue which passes us by in the east and central areas of the North Stand - for the simple reason that "the police box crew" (whoever they are) cannot be heard where we sit.

If there is a body of singers in the North Stand who want to be heard, it would be good if they could cluster somewhere near the centre, where the sound would have a chance of spreading. What's the point of singing, if the noise is trapped under the police box?

I would hope the club would consult with the north stand STHs before any changes and I would be very surprised if they had a majority agreement, as has been said on here, family and friends sit in groups and would not want a free for all. Would not make a difference to the atmosphere or the sale of food and drink as people will not want to leave their seat.
Did you not get an invitation to the meeting?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Yes, there was SOME officious stewarding in the first season, but our group is still in the same place (behind the goal, slightly to left), and we still sing. We'd all love to be in a stand that's rocking and together, and unreserved sounds like one way to try getting it, but yes plenty of us have got to know our fellow fans in seats nearby and not everyone will be prepared to sacrifice that friendly part of the Amex experience for the sake of a better atmosphere. Could end up with a lot of disgruntled people.

Why do you not join in with the police box crew? I am not far from you, yet your side and the police box side just do not sing the same songs at the same time? Again how will unreserved seating allow all the singers to sit together? If half the North does not sing and stll choose to sit in the North, how is unreserved seating going to ensure all the singers sit together. The middle of the North will be hit and miss as people will want to seat/stand and will get there earlier. Unreserved seating will not automatically mean all the singers will be next to each other.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely the best place to do this would be in the South/ South West?

Less STH in that area, therefore less people that need to move seats to accommodate the singers, near the away fans to get an atmosphere going.

This makes perfect sense. Singing section doesn't HAVE to be the North just 'cos it was at The Goldstone. Might also help "pass on" songs to the WSU where there again appear to be lots of singers but split up in little pockets.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
This is an issue which passes us by in the east and central areas of the North Stand - for the simple reason that "the police box crew" (whoever they are) cannot be heard where we sit.

If there is a body of singers in the North Stand who want to be heard, it would be good if they could cluster somewhere near the centre, where the sound would have a chance of spreading. What's the point of singing, if the noise is trapped under the police box?

I stand just behind the goal I E zone and can hear the police box crew as can everyone to the left of me and they are not interested in joining in with the police box crew. It's rubbish to say people can not hear them and there is only one reason why their songs do not ripple out and that is because not everyone wants to sing them. They turn up just before kick off, so how will that help as those who want central seats, will take them early. There are also occasions when the east side of the North get going and as it moves to the west,the police box crew will not join in. It's pie in the sky to think unreserved seating will equal a better atmosphere, it will be hit and miss as groups of friends find it difficult to sit together. I was invited to the meeting, I could not attend as I was working.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
It's almost as if the meeting between the club and the North and South-west stand season ticket holders never took place.

Maybe those of you who are in these areas and are interested might like to contribute next time even if you can't attend.

My offer to take PMs with ideas/suggestions/submissions still stands and I'm hopeful that some dialogue following on from the first meeting will take place soon, between the affected areas and the club. It's time to move forward and it's time for everyone to be flexible for the sake of the atmosphere and the team's performance that (so we are regularly informed) is affected by it.

With all due respect to all other areas of the ground, there's only one thing you can do to positively help us all... open your gob and start singing, or at least clap along for a while. :clap:

it does seem like it never took place and it is ashame as i was rather surprised to see the club taking action on it(in a good way).
i was at the meeting and was pleased to see that a lot of us want to make something happen. but we need the club to take some sort of action but obviously without causing problems should people be moved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn't matter where people/gang/crewz/ultras :shrug: stand (sorry I mean sit)

We are, we always have been, and it's fairly safe to assume, with the gentrification of modern expensive football, always will be a reactive crowd.
At no point have we ever been proactive, when it comes to on pitch action.

Yesterday was absolutely text book Albion support.

An incredible poor first half, with appalling away support, and fans are wondering if they borrow the latest Mills & Boon or perhaps a racier novel by Barbara Cartland.
Come the second half, as the players turned the screw, we produced an almighty wall of noise, that was seriously impressive.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
F*ck a few miserabilists who like there seats need to take decisive actions to improve the atmosphere for the majority. Unreserved seating would be something that would work and should be pursued.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Why do you not join in with the police box crew? I am not far from you, yet your side and the police box side just do not sing the same songs at the same time? Again how will unreserved seating allow all the singers to sit together? If half the North does not sing and stll choose to sit in the North, how is unreserved seating going to ensure all the singers sit together. The middle of the North will be hit and miss as people will want to seat/stand and will get there earlier. Unreserved seating will not automatically mean all the singers will be next to each other.

I suppose the simple answer is we like it where we are - we have a good view, we like the people we stand with, and we enjoy a sing with those who join in where we are. So nothing against those who are there, but no desire to move to the police box.

Regarding the songs, it's certainly not true that our area doesn't join in with songs the police box crew start. The dynamics of it is largely down to the volume: if we start a song, we get on and sing it and sometimes it catches on and drifts east or west. But if we've started something and a much louder song is being picked up, we'll join in with that. You genuinely can't always hear what the police box crew are singing because other songs are happening around you. If we could all largely congregate in the central section behind the goal, this will be less of an issue.

I do agree that unreserved seating may not ensure all the singers sit together. But if there is an understanding that if you're central behind the north goal it's going to be noisy and most people going there will want to join in, then there's more chance of it. Not sure how it can be achieved though and I agree it might be hit and miss. But it might still be an improvement.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Make the south unreserved seating. I would happy to move there

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I sit further to the east side than you and can hear them.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I suppose the simple answer is we like it where we are - we have a good view, we like the people we stand with, and we enjoy a sing with those who join in where we are. So nothing against those who are there, but no desire to move to the police box.

Regarding the songs, it's certainly not true that our area doesn't join in with songs the police box crew start. The dynamics of it is largely down to the volume: if we start a song, we get on and sing it and sometimes it catches on and drifts east or west. But if we've started something and a much louder song is being picked up, we'll join in with that. You genuinely can't always hear what the police box crew are singing because other songs are happening around you. If we could all largely congregate in the central section behind the goal, this will be less of an issue.

I do agree that unreserved seating may not ensure all the singers sit together. But if there is an understanding that if you're central behind the north goal it's going to be noisy and most people going there will want to join in, then there's more chance of it. Not sure how it can be achieved though and I agree it might be hit and miss. But it might still be an improvement.

You answered your own question, you like it where you are. Does that not apply for all the others who sit in the North. This club have already said that unreserved seating is unlikely as it would mean decreasing the capacity and be harder to police for varying reasons. So the only option would be to survey the fans in the north and try and encourage people to move else where if they do not want to sing. I am not sure that people not wanting to sing is the problem, it's about better coordination of the singing. A lot of us in the middle are caught between two songs. There is no easy fix, apart from the from on the pitch.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The South Stand is completely the answer to this problem. Hundreds of unallocated seats and right next to be away fans to bounce off of. The North is almost un audible to the away support even when half of it is singing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here