Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Stand Treatment of Villareal Last Night?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My god 6 pages about a complete non story how long before the Amex is silent which seems the majority of posters on this thread seem to wish for. I thought the NS was in good voice at times last night, considering it was only about a fifth full, if that, it certainly would have been quiet without them.

And as for "what must Oscar think" well from what I saw about 20 metres away he was made up with the NS singing his name.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

I didn't go to the Villarreal match (all pre-season friendlies are a waste of money in my opinion and I haven't been to one for years).

Judging by the tone of this thread and elsewhere I thought that there hadn't been a minute's silence yesterday. Apologies for the misunderstanding. :thumbsup:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Exactly it is FOOTBALL.

It's to enjoy, which fortunately most do. It's just a pity that the majority have to endure the ranting of a few.

Banter is fine, especially when it's funny. I especially liked the "who's that w***er in the white" at the Wolves match. But this appeared to be against a group of fans, many of them youngsters, who had travelled 1,100 miles to support their team in a friendly match against what they had been led to believe were a class club.

Last season the palace chant had all but died out, at non palace games. Now palace have gone, to get thrashed by the likes of MU, lets forget about them and enjoy our club.

I seriously doubt that those chanting "stand up", remember, or were even born, when Venables and Mullery were the managers and the confrontational events which followed the first round of the 1977 FA Cup. The second replay at Stamford Bridge was the final straw for Brighton supporters when the ref made a horrendous decision in the 78th minute giving palace the match.

Banter yes, but aggressive behaviour? These events were 37 years ago, perhaps this year is a good time to move on.

Well said young man,funny banter is great...but swearing and aggressive behaviour belongs to the 70s...move on....

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Was it really necessary for the North Stand to treat last night's opponents as if they were just another mob from Barnsley or Burnley? The tedious chants of "f***ing useless" for every miss; the jeering and gesticulating at the Villareal fans in the north-east corner..." "Shall we sing a song for you", etc... It must have made Oscar wonder quite what kind of a place he'd come to.

When the impressive contingent of Spanish fans – most of whom were kids – left the North Stand early, at least the Cheerio chant morphed into Adios. And no doubt both sets of fans enjoyed post-matchpints of Harveys and sangria in the North Stand concourse afterwards.

But overall, it was embarrassing, and totally lacking in class. And it's hard to imagine our own fans got that kind of treatment on Albion's own Spanish tour. Anyone see it differently?

Are you off your sodding rocker?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Why choose to sit in the North and then moan?
The North Stand is the singing section and Yes, we do hate Palace.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Why choose to sit in the North and then moan?
The North Stand is the singing section and Yes, we do hate Palace.

No one is disputing that the North is the place to go for a sing and yes some people do hate place. But the abuse that was levelled towards young foreign students, who had given our club money for tickets, food and drink was over the line.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, I am clearly off my rocker. How else would you explain ludicrous concepts like sportsmanship, and being welcoming to foreign visitors to the Amex? The very idea!

And at a friendly football match, of all places?

I don't think you're off your rocker, but I do think you are probably a bit of an old fuddy-duddy bobble hat off the costa express supporters coach. That is absolutely fine, we all support the club in our own way.

Just accept that people are different, you get all sorts at an Albion match. Perhaps a handful of people in the crowd got over excited and took things a bit far, that is what it sounds like happened. That is no reason to have a pop at an entire stand. Live and let live man.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Banter fine but wanker signs at a group of Spanish teenagers is pathetic but not as cringeworthy as that **** lead away by the stewards giving it the bigun to the 16 year old :facepalm:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's probably best to just accept that their are those out there who firmly believe that paying to get in instantly allows them to act like tossers to anyone they feel like.

Of course, it will be referred to as 'banter', making everything ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here