Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
They're gonna completely kill the atmosphere off in the NS before much longer.

Does anyone know the "Christmas Pudding"'s name or number etc? Sounds like an official complaint is in order

D

Deleted member 18477

If this was the case there would be mass ejections from all the Premier League and Championship matches.

exactly, and then the stadiums would be half empty as the clubs fanbase would shrink from all the bans. and then the prem wouldnt be one of the most attractive leagues so the TV money would be less and everyone would lose out.

The FA are a complete joke :lolol: and so is anyone that believes them!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you can't follow rules that apply to everyone in the stadium maybe you shouldn't be there. Don't ruin it for everyone else.

Ridiculous statement. If everyone followed the rules then nobody would swear, nobody would have more than two beers, and the whole stadium would be sitting down for 90 minutes, even when we score. It isn't as simple as that. If it was, football would be completely ruined. If the row in front of you is standing, then what are you supposed to do? Stay sitting down and not watch the game? The stewards seem to pick on random groups or individuals, rather than do the obvious thing of asking the people who are standing furthest forward to sit down first. Some of the stewards are OK and actually have some people skills, and some of them (the fat slob with no neck) are complete idiots on a power trip.

There was a guy drinking a bottle of Fosters behind me last night, a steward came into the row. smiling, and said "come on mate, you know you cant get away with that, give me the bottle now and we'll let it go", and of course the guy did. He then told him to make sure it didn't happen again or they'd have to eject him. Fair enough. Sensible stewarding, avoiding confrontation and solving the problem. Certain other stewards would have waded in and thrown the guy out, causing confrontation between them and other fans, and creating bad feeling.

I suppose the main problem is that to have to work as a steward in a football ground you aren't exactly going to be the sharpest tool in the box, either that or you are a twat on a power trip. You're never going to get intelligent people with good people skills doing it. But they should be trained to avoid confrontations with the crowd, while enforcing the ground regulations, wherever possible. At the moment, they don't do that.

We always hear this stuff about "the club have been warned by the FA about standing and that's why the stewards are clamping down on it", but if that is the case then why doesn't the club communicate this? It's not like they have difficulty in contacting everyone when they have some stock that they want to sell or to tell us that there is a new pie on sale. And if it is really the case that they have been warned by the FA, then why let everyone stand for some games, but not for others? Surely the club cant say to the FA "We were playing Leeds so we thought we'd let everyone stand at this one, but we're only playing Peterborough next time so we'll make everyone sit down at that one". There needs to be consistency, which there isn't at the moment, and that is why there is bad feeling amongst the fans to the stewards. Either enforce the ground regulations EVERY game, or don't. They cant have it both ways.

I really hope the North doesn't end up like H Block did with the stewards, or I'll be out of there at the first opportunity. The team needs the North Stand. Sanitising it and making it about confrontations with the stewards rather than being the main source of atmosphere will effect the team on the pitch. I'm sure Gus would agree.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Simple solution to all this. Buy tickets for the away end. No over zealous stewards, away support seemingly never told to sit down. Just remember to stiffle any cheers and singing for the Albion. Sorted.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Excellent post Commander.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I reckon the first thing to do is make all Stewards wear some sort of number on there coats, and then if one does go on a power trip people can quote numbers etc and if a fan is thrown out the steward also have there chance to defend themselves, so it works both ways !

D

Deleted member 18477

I reckon the first thing to do is make all Stewards wear some sort of number on there coats, and then if one does go on a power trip people can quote numbers etc and if a fan is thrown out the steward also have there chance to defend themselves, so it works both ways !

i prefer nicknames like - 'christmas pudding' or 'fat f*** with no neck' :lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looking at the North from the West Stand it seemed particularly crazy that there loads standing much lower than said "trouble maker". If they are so insistant on getting people to sit down why not start at the bottom and work their way up.

From what I have seen there is just no need to steward the way they are. We all knew the North was going to me predominantly standing in the back half so I really can't see what the issue is.

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
I was in N1A last night and i thought it was a complete over-reaction by the stewards (christmas pudding & his mates) and what was with copper wandering about waving a camcorder at everyone :wanker:, i was close to both incidents and it was obvious from the start the stewards were looking for a confrontation with the fans not the other way around.

I thought the idea of stewarding was to make sure everybody had a safe & enjoyable experience, not to bully people and through there weight (considerable) about.

I have sat or stood there for a season and half and the only trouble i have seen was caused by over the top stewarding.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
After the game finished two blokes (a huge great guy with specs about 55-60) and a chap in his mid thirties were pushing and shoving each other and it almost turned into a punch up
until 3/4 of us intervened and calmed it down.
The younger fella was shouting at the old older one "you've been a c**t the whole game like you are every game etc etc among other things.
So i'm assuming the older one has upset the younger fella and others on a regular basis !!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They seem to be worse over the West end of the North stand

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
One of the guys ejected last night was my mate, I spoke to him briefly last night on the phone and he pretty much said he got lobbed out for singing stand up if you hate palace. Stewards took his season ticket number and old bill took his name and address. I THINK he's been threatened with a ban. I'm gonna ring him after work to clarify but seems stewards were on a mission last night!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The younger fella was shouting at the old older one "you've been a c**t the whole game like you are every game etc etc among other things.
So i'm assuming the older one has upset the younger fella and others on a regular basis !!

If only the elections for Police Commissioner hadnt already happened!

With investigative skills like that you would have been in shoe in!

GullysGirlsPimp

Aug 24, 2011
Sussex- By-The-Sea
"I suppose the main problem is that to have to work as a steward in a football ground you aren't exactly going to be the sharpest tool in the box, either that or you are a twat on a power trip. You're never going to get intelligent people with good people skills doing it. But they should be trained to avoid confrontations with the crowd, while enforcing the ground regulations, wherever possible. At the moment, they don't do that"

Right, let me start by saying, I am a Steward. I don't work in the North Stand, so I an unable to comment on last nights event's and it wouldn't be fair to comment on what might/ might not of happened. However based on my own experience, a fan would not of been removed for the pure fact that he was "singing a song", there would of been several other factors involved in his removal, however like I said before I couldn't possibly comment.

However what I am slightly offended by is the comment "I suppose the main problem is that to have to work as a steward in a football ground you aren't exactly going to be the sharpest tool in the box, either that or you are a twat on a power trip"

I decided to become a steward for my love of football, and to be involved in something as exciting as the Amex. I have a full time job during the week ( which I have to have some intelligence to do) I am not thick or a " twat" on a power trip. You should not tarnish all stewards with the same brush as its highly unfair, just as i don't with every single fan. The majority of supporters i come across are really nice friendly people who I enjoy having banter with, you get the odd exception who think the rules don't apply to them and cause a scene, but with a capacity of over 25,000 people thats bound to happen. I like to think i have good common sense and a good sense of humour, both of which i feel help me have a good rapport with the fans in my block. In fact i am lucky enough not to get much trouble, but when i do, i try and deal with it in the best way possible where everybody can be happy with the outcome.

We are trained to deal with confrontation and other such issues, in fact the club run an NVQ course for us, so we can officially have a qualification. I feel i have exceptionallly good people skills and anybody who works with me at the Amex and my dayjob can verify this. I'd also like to think that supporters who sit near where i work can back this up.

Please don't suggest we don't have any common sense or people skills, because we do. I apologise if you feel you haven't come across one as yet, but I can assure you that we do exist, and i would love to give the opportunity to prove everybody wrong. We aren't here to make your lifes a nightmare, in fact the opposite and if you do have issues with the stewarding i can only apologise but we aren't as bad as you all make out.

Lastly, we do read the posts on her and the guy who got punched is a massive Albion fan, im sure he isn't as egotiscal as you make him out to be, remember he is only doing his job and only doing what he is told. Some of the comments can be quite hurtful and you have no idea if he, his friends or his family read these posts and it would be a shame to cause any unneccesary offense. Please just bear that in mind.

I hope you are one day, happy with us! As I for one always try my best to look after you guys as best as i can!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Police with video camera's , over zealous security guards with no necks , can't sing , can't stand , can't swear , have we been taken over by the KGB ? Next thing will be interegation by floodlight .

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
"I suppose the main problem is that to have to work as a steward in a football ground you aren't exactly going to be the sharpest tool in the box, either that or you are a twat on a power trip. You're never going to get intelligent people with good people skills doing it. But they should be trained to avoid confrontations with the crowd, while enforcing the ground regulations, wherever possible. At the moment, they don't do that"

Right, let me start by saying, I am a Steward. I don't work in the North Stand, so I an unable to comment on last nights event's and it wouldn't be fair to comment on what might/ might not of happened. However based on my own experience, a fan would not of been removed for the pure fact that he was "singing a song", there would of been several other factors involved in his removal, however like I said before I couldn't possibly comment.

However what I am slightly offended by is the comment "I suppose the main problem is that to have to work as a steward in a football ground you aren't exactly going to be the sharpest tool in the box, either that or you are a twat on a power trip"

I decided to become a steward for my love of football, and to be involved in something as exciting as the Amex. I have a full time job during the week ( which I have to have some intelligence to do) I am not thick or a " twat" on a power trip. You should not tarnish all stewards with the same brush as its highly unfair, just as i don't with every single fan. The majority of supporters i come across are really nice friendly people who I enjoy having banter with, you get the odd exception who think the rules don't apply to them and cause a scene, but with a capacity of over 25,000 people thats bound to happen. I like to think i have good common sense and a good sense of humour, both of which i feel help me have a good rapport with the fans in my block. In fact i am lucky enough not to get much trouble, but when i do, i try and deal with it in the best way possible where everybody can be happy with the outcome.

We are trained to deal with confrontation and other such issues, in fact the club run an NVQ course for us, so we can officially have a qualification. I feel i have exceptionallly good people skills and anybody who works with me at the Amex and my dayjob can verify this. I'd also like to think that supporters who sit near where i work can back this up.

Please don't suggest we don't have any common sense or people skills, because we do. I apologise if you feel you haven't come across one as yet, but I can assure you that we do exist, and i would love to give the opportunity to prove everybody wrong. We aren't here to make your lifes a nightmare, in fact the opposite and if you do have issues with the stewarding i can only apologise but we aren't as bad as you all make out.

Lastly, we do read the posts on her and the guy who got punched is a massive Albion fan, im sure he isn't as egotiscal as you make him out to be, remember he is only doing his job and only doing what he is told. Some of the comments can be quite hurtful and you have no idea if he, his friends or his family read these posts and it would be a shame to cause any unneccesary offense. Please just bear that in mind.

I hope you are one day, happy with us! As I for one always try my best to look after you guys as best as i can!

A bit of common sense and all this stuff can be avoided. Unfortunately some stewards are incapable of using common sense and decide to act like bouncers outside a shity nightclub. The worst thing about this is that the Atmosphere will reduce if the fans in the north are handled as they currently are.
Just wake up, stewards are stewards, it is not a stewards job to act like a bouncer. Just stewards, start acting like stewards and do your job. If you do that, all this stuff wouldn't even happen.
The fact that now there is an issue with stewards where the was no issue before, shows that the stewards are failing in doing their job correctly.

GullysGirlsPimp

Aug 24, 2011
Sussex- By-The-Sea
A bit of common sense and all this stuff can be avoided. Unfortunately some stewards are incapable of using common sense and decide to act like bouncers outside a shity nightclub. The worst thing about this is that the Atmosphere will reduce if the fans in the north are handled as they currently are.
Just wake up, stewards are stewards, it is not a stewards job to act like, bouncers. Just stewards, start acting like stewards and do your job.

I agree, and that why I try to do the best I can, and hope that im seen in that way too! Its a shame that you feel its not like that, and i can only hope in future matches, that this gets better for you.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Sounds like you should be re-assigned forthwith to lead the stewarding effort at the West end of the North Stand.

The biggest problem you have is the obvious ambiguity about what is and is not allowable/tolerable.

Lesson One in behaviour management is surely the need for clear rules that are consistently applied.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I agree, and that why I try to do the best I can, and hope that im seen in that way too! Its a shame that you feel its not like that, and i can only hope in future matches, that this gets better for you.

I did say some stewards. Perhaps those that are persistently involved in altercations with supporters need to be looked at as adding to the problem. You sit seem to have the ability to see common sense, apply it to solving a problem or defusing a situation. Sadly some of your colleagues (and you know who as the same stewards have been commented on in this thread), are incapable of using any diplomacy or common sense and are doing their jobs badly. Something needs to be done about these stewards, retraining or whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here