Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Stand Standing - message from removed fan

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
What happens if 3/4 of the North Stand want to stand? They all then move over into this section, which is far smaller than the North Stand, how is that not unsafe? You then end up with a a half empty North Stand.

Stand each others shoulders & lots of piggy backs

What are the suggestions of those that are claiming the club are picking on individuals to how the club should eject all people standing ? Stating "standing should be allowed" isn't currently an option either.
I'll restate that question with reference to the ban on using video equipment at football matches and publishing the output on social media sites and youtube.

Should individuals be picked out and banned? Or should the Club just allow people to carry on as they have for years?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'll restate that question with reference to the ban on using video equipment at football matches and publishing the output on social media sites and youtube.

Should individuals be picked out and banned? Or should the Club just allow people to carry on as they have for years?

Sorry, thought you were referring to standing !

I guess the videoing is an difficult one to deal with given the power of modern mobile phones. Close to impossible to enforce a ban ( unless like the one in this thread the film maker is stupid enough to effectively identify themselves ! ). Personally I don't see any harm in it just as long as the quality isn't professional - that said I really don't get why someone would pay to go to the football, spend half their time filming rather than properly watching the match and then give away that filming to people that hadn't paid to see the match. Bizarre !

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

Up to them, rules have been broken so they can punish people if they want.

As per my previous example, a bit like getting nicked for speeding. Individual speeders are picked on, 99.9% of speeders go unpunished.

Shouldn't we all just grow up a bit here? It's a rule, if you know it and you break it, don't be surprised if you are punished.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No.

The point is that HUNDREDS of fans stand up in the North Stand - and not just in the back four rows. Why has THIS fan been singled out for a ban?

Possibilities :

1. Mistaken identity.
2. More to story than previously indicated.
3. Random fan chosen to set example.
4. Apparantly Random fan chosen to set example ( picked out from surveillance of behaviour at previous matches ),

Any other ideas?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I think the club have a duty to pursue this from the point of view that they have a joint venture with shared revenues based on this copyright material. I don't want to be holier than thou about it though and clearly a warning in the first instance is sufficient rather than a ban. I watched and enjoyed the video and there were certain aspects where this unauthorised video was superior to the official version.

I have cancelled my subscription to Seagulls Player, even though there are certain things that are useful on there. I just think over all the service is poorly implemented, tired and dated and the only way this will change is if there is a significant drop in revenue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can understand why people want to stand in the North to improve enjoyment/atmosphere/singing

However, if you are asked to sit down by a steward and either ignore them/argue with them/encourage other people to stand, the one thing i can say with certainty is that you won't achieve the ends of improving enjoyment/atmosphere/singing. There are really only two ways to achieve what you want.

1. Sit down when asked and stand up again when something exciting happens (you may end up standing for a large proportion of the match).
2. Bring pressure on to the football authorities to introduce safe standing.

Any other options will end in tears.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I seem to remember reading a thread on here a while back where someone said that stewards pick on people who turn round to people behind them, something to do with inciting trouble. The man who was banned has a habit of turning around to talk to all his friends and neighbours in the stand, so maybe that was the reason he was targeted.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Up to them, rules have been broken so they can punish people if they want.

As per my previous example, a bit like getting nicked for speeding. Individual speeders are picked on, 99.9% of speeders go unpunished.

Shouldn't we all just grow up a bit here? It's a rule, if you know it and you break it, don't be surprised if you are punished.

this
but I will say this whole standing thing and the punishments dished out is becoming a bit silly , it surprises me that the club are so insistent that any fl rules are upheld
I have just watched the extended highlights on player and during the time that CMS was in the floor injured there were loads of Drizzle fans standing in the front of the stand, and if I remember rightly during the Leeds game at the Amex the Leeds fans were standing and waving their shirts around , why was nothing done about this.
IMHO its not the fans of the Albion who are plastics but the club.......................my club is very slowly becoming MU

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I am genuinely curious to know whether their "policy" is going to be enforced to the letter on the 17th?? Best of luck with that if they do!!!!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Overheard a conversation at Bristol City between 3 ladies and a steward....the ladies in the Brighton fans wanted to remain seated, people around them wanted to stand..
They called a steward and asked him to make the others around them sit down...Stewards reply " we cant make them sit" ladies then tried to tell the steward that its contary to ground regs as its a seated stadium......Steward again said we cant make people sit and moved on....Ladies carried on moaning about people standing.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It is known that standing isn't allowed in the stadium at all.

That's not true though is it? It is either a rule/law or it isn't but the club seem to have decided that they can partially ignore the ground rules so your statement above is incorrect.

For those who say they have never been told they were able to stand, even in the back four rows, this was in the newsletter sent out by the club on 22 February that doesn't specifically mention the standing but IMO implies it.

'Additionally, we wanted to advise North Stand season ticket holders that the back four rows, in the new sections, will be viewed in a similar way to the back four rows of the current north stand.'

Camicus

This is what happens when the club gives an inch. They either need to make the whole stand sit or allow the whole stand to stand. However a lot of people are comming across as whiney bitches. If you not in the back 4 rows sit down if its that important to you get a ST in the back 4 rows and stop giving the stewards and excuse to evict by getting arsey when they do there job and follow the clubs guidelines

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My interpretation of the video is that Beige Coat is trying to incite as many people as possible to stand, for no clearly obvious reason other than to make the stewrds attempts at enforcement impossible.

If he was the one ejected then he got what was coming.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't see what's so hard about the rule. Sit down. Stand up when something happens, then sit down again.

What I absolutely can't understand is why ONE person can get a ban for it. I'd ask the club why nobody in the away end was ejected. Ask them to detail just why nothing was done about the other 1000 people on their feet. Use the word DISCRIMINATION. That should warrant a response.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I believe that the club would be well served by asking BCFC if they could lay on a training course for our stewards. Theirs were superb on Tuesday night. Starting with those on the turnstiles, they were happy, friendly, smiley and approachable. They didn't attempt, at any stage, to get us to sit - and they didn't try to bully their own fans (who I thought gave magnificent support given their team's current position) into sitting either. It's an all-seater stadium but with club officials and stewards that appeared to be fans understanding the passion of the game, and of football fans.

What a refreshing change it made to the arrogant, aggressive, over-bearing bullies who pick on one individual amongst dozens, if not hundreds, who are standing.
Our stewards must arm themselves with a dictionary and learn the word CONSISTENCY. You enforce sitting in ALL areas of the ground (especially the away fans who the stewards seem to spend more time running away from than controlling) or you adopt the laissez faire approach as most other clubs have. ALL areas of the ground - at ALL times....or don't do it at all.

To the OP's mate who got ejected & banned, keep fighting it mate. Pay no heed to those on here saying it was deserved or trawling up the ignorant nonsense that it is ILLEGAL to stand at a football match! An issue such as this soon sorts the fans from the "customers"!! Good luck.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Without watching the video was this in the vacinity of an aisle, if so it seems that those fans are being picked on as easy targets.

I wholeheartly agree that if fans show stewards a bit of respect they "should" receive the same back again - HOWEVER it should also be remembered that football supporting is a passionate thing from the very top (look at Alex Ferguson) to the very bottom - the NS holds many many fans who are much more passionate that those sitting in other parts of the stadium. This is not a dig at those other fans who are still passionate but show their passion in other ways and chose their seats because they wanted to view a different aspect of the game. When the stewards pile in and target a certain fan it is no surprise that others around him/her can get upset.

There is currently no consistancy, we all know full well that everybody will stand week Sunday and no stewards will be concerned, then the next catergory "c" game they will be back. In addition you can look around the ground and see numerous fans standing in other part of the ground as well as those in the NS in the middle of rows who are largely ignored by the stewards.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
The WHOLE north stand will be standing against palace. will be interesting what the stewards do then. The last thing the club want is extra aggro on that game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here