Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Stand Standing - message from removed fan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's clear that if you don't comply instantly with a steward's request to sit down in North Stand, you are out and banned, particularly if you give any backchat.

Seems very draconian, and I feel immensely sorry for anyone banned as the extreme sanction really does not seem to fit the offense.
But you're right, it is clear so why force the issue and make it 'easy' for the stewards, to your own detriment.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
But you're right, it is clear so why force the issue and make it 'easy' for the stewards, to your own detriment.

I think that's why they're trying to ban him from the stand, to make an example and make people sit, which we all know won't happen, especially next sunday. What I don't get is they said early this season they didn't mind people standing during the Peterborough game I think it was, when it was pissing it down. So if its a law and about health and safety about standing surely its safer for people to be standing on the dry than when the floor is almost flooded and people can slip over easily

if they want people to sit down they will have to remove the rule about the last 4 rows for next season, and I expect they will

Feb 14, 2010
Just had a read of this, from the sounds of it the club can turn a blind eye if they wanted to

http://fsf.org.uk/assets/Uploads/Legalities-of-standing.pdf

Everyone knows that this is Brighton's latest attempt to shoot itself in the foot. Clubs like Spurs actively encourage fans to stand up in certain areas of the ground, sing and get behind the team because they see the benefit to experience of a game and makes people want to come back. It also helps the team, but sadly we seem to have have lower league, small club type amateurs calling the shots down at the Albion. They can't seem to draw a distinction between older fans in the West Stand Lower and the teenagers in the North Stand. These things go in cycles however and after Poyet starts moaning that the noise has gone from the Amex after the stewards have won their weird and petty battle to throw teenagers out of a football match then the policy will change. By that time however, the club will have annoyed a large part of our younger fans who are, after all, the future.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Everyone knows that this is Brighton's latest attempt to shoot itself in the foot. Clubs like Spurs actively encourage fans to stand up in certain areas of the ground, sing and get behind the team because they see the benefit to experience of a game and makes people want to come back. It also helps the team, but sadly we seem to have have lower league, small club type amateurs calling the shots down at the Albion. They can't seem to draw a distinction between older fans in the West Stand Lower and the teenagers in the North Stand. These things go in cycles however and after Poyet starts moaning that the noise has gone from the Amex after the stewards have won their weird and petty battle to throw teenagers out of a football match then the policy will change. By that time however, the club will have annoyed a large part of our younger fans who are, after all, the future.

Very mixed age range around our area in the North Stand, so not correct to presume it's all teenagers/younger fans.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Please, for the love of God stop banging on about teenagers in the North Stand, old boys in WSL.

It's a completely inaccurate description and doesn't help at all. Have you actually been in either stand?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just had a read of this, from the sounds of it the club can turn a blind eye if they wanted to
Of course they can, they have done before and they will do again, Sunday being the next time.

The simple fact is the club wants all the fans to sit all the time and part of the stewards remit is to uphold that.
As proven it's impossible to 'win' the argument, so why have it.

Well over 90% of the North East was standing for Spanish Dave penalty, but after celebrating we sat down.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you a steward?
You post such bias 'stewards are gods' everyone else is wrong nonsense, I do wonder. Don't be so ****ing stupid. No really just stop being a ****ing tool. You tool.
Yes insults, you deserve it
They haven't enforced the sit down rule there SINCE THE STADIUM OPENED. Then they pick on ONE PERSON. ****ing tools if you ask me. Oh funny that, just like you. Don't you get it. Make the north sit and the atmos dies. If you get your way, a completely sterile nothing atmos, I'll stop going. So will thousands of others, you can sit there on your bloody own tell the guy next to you that you remember the good old days when the Amex used to be full.

Tool.

Wow ..... what did @drew post to deserve that rancid bile ? You really hate the stewards don't you - all 400+ of them ? It may surprise you to know a vast majority are Albion fans just picking up a few extra quid. There are a few meatheads ( exactly the same people you'll see on the doors of pubs and clubs ) but they are a minority.

What's your difficulty in sitting down for a few minutes when asked to do so and then re-standing when the stewards have gone ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's your difficulty in sitting down for a few minutes when asked to do so and then re-standing when the stewards have gone ?
When everyone else is standing.

Feb 14, 2010
He can call me a teenager if he wants, our area has fans from about 8 up to about 65 is say, a good mix

Sure but its the kids they keep throwing out and the North was meant to be the boisterous stand which as a result attracted the younger fans (this a good not a bad thing). Please dont let this detract from the main part of my post. Spurs actively encourage fans standing and singing in one stand. The reason being that this is what people want, it helps the team and they are perhaps a bit more experienced and professional than our lower league administrators down at the Albion. We have much to learn from Spurs both on and off the pitch. As an aside, I would love to have seen our stewards try and kick out Alex Ferguson for asking Old Trafford to stand and get behind the team!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sure but its the kids they keep throwing out and the North was meant to be the boisterous stand which as a result attracted the younger fans (this a good not a bad thing). Please dont let this detract from the main part of my post. Spurs actively encourage fans standing and singing in one stand. The reason being that this is what people want, it helps the team and they are perhaps a bit more experienced and professional than our lower league administrators down at the Albion. We have much to learn from Spurs both on and off the pitch. As an aside, I would love to have seen our stewards try and kick out Alex Ferguson for asking Old Trafford to stand and get behind the team!

Much as i agree with your posts and view, i'm really baffled that you are convinced it is the younger fans that sit in the NS, and the younger fans that get chucked out.
The fans that get chucked out are definitely the older ones.
My row has one fan under 40 years old.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a pity those in the North can't somehow organise themselves to get together and select a few to meet with the club and try and thrash this out. It may not be successful but I think it would be a good start point for a sustained lobby that might

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What's this ignorance about kids in the NS, bet there are more in WSL. It's not kids being banned either, all three I have seen banned are forty somethings and one of which was 100% as a result of steward imagination.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It's a pity those in the North can't somehow organise themselves to get together and select a few to meet with the club and try and thrash this out. It may not be successful but I think it would be a good start point for a sustained lobby that might

I'm still of the opinion that the club will only listen if hurt financially even if it is only for one match. There is no point in doing something that might effect the game in play or cause more customer bans but boycot the booze for a game or two should send a message and not get anyone into trouble.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Why don't we give the club what they want then; lets all sit down in the North stand and not sing for the first 10 minutes of the Charlton game. Then, after 10 minutes stand up and get behind the team. I've seen a similar protest done at Sevilla and it was very, very effective.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Or stay in concourse for first 5 minutes of the game

Which effects who? The fans and possibly players on the pitch. I wouldn't think the club gives a fiddlers fart about that type of action but reduced income is another matter, in fact cash is king and the only card fans can use without recourse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here