Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] North Stand Expansion + Away fans to be moved

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I'm shocked we are doing it, (BUT PLEASED!) they must think moving away fans will help us win more games. Fine Margins etc because the cost of moving and losing prime costing seats in South West Lower will cost the club cash ultimately. Obviously if we win more games it equals out. Better Atmosphere should help the team etc.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Didn't they have to use the shelf in the SW corner to seat away fans during the Europa games? Something about having to provide side on seats? I wonder if if that is a large part of this decision, future proofing for if/when we get back into Europe.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I'm shocked we are doing it, (BUT PLEASED!) they must think moving away fans will help us win more games. Fine Margins etc because the cost of moving and losing prime costing seats in South West Lower will cost the club cash ultimately. Obviously if we win more games it equals out. Better Atmosphere should help the team etc.
Think about it, from Bart's view he's playing 45 minutes like we're away. It must be a bit shit.
As I posted before - SW makes no sense logistically. It'll be a section in the east.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Think about it, from Bart's view he's playing 45 minutes like we're away. It must be a bit shit.
As I posted before - SW makes no sense logistically. It'll be a section in the east.
I don't know why you're so adamant it will be in the East when we know it will be in the West. Most away sections aren't facing the main camera position, our moving the away fans will not make them more prominent on the TV coverage. They will be in the South West corner of the stadium.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm definitely a fan of shifting the away fans to the SW corner. Pisses me off NO END seeing thousands of them CAVORTING behind our goal whenever the away team scores. Get them out of my sightline. Get them off the telly. Begone with them.

There was one delightful exception though...
View attachment 189748
This!
Away fans should be in the south east. Not south west
See above!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've been sitting the SWC for many years.

Got good seats at the back with a good view.

Easy concourse entry, quick getaway to the station.

Never have the burning sun in my face.

Never get wet.

Made good friends down there.

If I have to move I am going to be really really hacked off and I'm sure many others will be too.

I remember them trialling moving the away to the SEC before and it worked ok as it's right next to the coach park.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
surely if many of those move across to the south as they lose their SWC seats they will still be next to the away fans just the opposite side
This is what's confusing me. I'm in West Upper v close to SWC and generally the only fans I'll hear are the visitors. I'm not sure how moving will help the atmosphere?

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
I've been sitting the SWC for many years.

Got good seats at the back with a good view.

Easy concourse entry, quick getaway to the station.

Never have the burning sun in my face.

Never get wet.

Made good friends down there.

If I have to move I am going to be really really hacked off and I'm sure many others will be too.

I remember them trialling moving the away to the SEC before and it worked ok as it's right next to the coach park.
All of this. I'll be well p***** off if forced to move.

Doug-ees-evil

Nov 18, 2011
Likewise, there's been four of us at least always sat in the same seats in W1A since the Amex opened. Love the view, the access, weather protection, the main large concourse/facilities, friends/family in the same stand. The away fans have always been just far enough away from us to be a) amusing to watch and b) not too irritating or directly offensive. In fact, they regularly add to the match atmosphere (where it lacks...cough, cough) in our own stands.

However, I am buggered if I'm sitting 5 meters away from them in the SW corner right smack up to or partially in W1A – within spitting/abuse distance. That would really arse up our match day experience. And I'd also be very hacked off being asked to move. They are pricey seats, with 1901 lounges behind and above/right in the SW corner shelf.

It makes no logical sense to put them here and not the SE corner where they are closer to the coach park and away from the most prestigious seats in the ground? You'd have away neanderthals right slap next to the West Stand entrances, which will also mean there'll likely use the West side route to the station, past main reception and most home fans route back for the trains. The SE corner is probably the least desirable area.. so stick em in there and half the south. As for TV, well currently, they dominate the whole goal view/south so I get the corner move reasoning. However, I can't see how moving the oppo fans into/near the club's largest home stand is going to improve match atmos?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All we need to improve the atmosphere is a drum and a co-ordinator of songs....right? ;)
We'd end up with two drummers and two cappos, one at each end with everyone in the middle looking thoroughly bemused.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the best option for the away fans is to remove the roof paneling from the south stand then build a scaffold stand on the top of the hill behind it so we can try and recreate that Withdean factor for the away fans!

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I wonder... (If they do move the away fans) If they might move the family section (E1a, E1B and half of E1C) round to the South stand, perhaps to S1A, S21b and S1C as the family stand is less lucrative so behind the goal makes more financial sense for the club.

I hope this doesn't happen as I sit in one of the sections that would have to move and i like where we are! I have a bad feeling that is what will happen. Most Family stands are behins the goal in the cheap seats in other stadiums.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whatever the eventual plan, I sincerely hope that the club are understanding and listen to the concerns of the displaced.
I know that not everyone can be content, but I pray it's not a 'like it or do one' approach.

Reactions: cjd

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I don't know why you're so adamant it will be in the East when we know it will be in the West. Most away sections aren't facing the main camera position, our moving the away fans will not make them more prominent on the TV coverage. They will be in the South West corner of the stadium.
Not really sure how TV coverage prominence comes into a decision on in stadium atmosphere?

As an aside having the away in the lower east visually masks the early leavers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here