Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norovirus

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The virus is immune to the anti-bacterial gel; washing hands regularly with hot water and soap is the best way to avoid it. There is also a theory that those with B-type blood groups are far, far less likely to contract the virus, as compared with O-type blood groups.

Last week the Oriana arrived in Southampton and was called a Plague ship by the press, because there was about 300 case of Norovirus on board. Arriving a little later the Azura on which I was a passenger apparently had 10 cases. The previous 10 days were spent washing and gelling my hands at every opportunity, which fortunately kept it at bay.
It appeared on the ship on the second day of the Cruise, which as the passengers consisted mostly of sweaties and fat people from north of Watford shouldn't have been a surprise. Some of them must have told porkies on their embarkation forms.
Fantastic plague regime by P&O, if one person in a cabin had symptoms they had to stay in the cabin, alas any other people in the cabin were allowed to move around the ship as they liked, spreading the virus. :shrug:
Wash your hands frequently, especially after touching hand rails, door handles etc. Don't rub your eyes or stick your fingers in your mouth, and you should stay plague free. :thumbsup:

What's the Azura like? I am a bit of a cruise veteran but have never been on P+O before. I sail on December 27th for a 11 nighter.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep. Two days in bed, but wiped me and the Mrs out for around 5 days. Had it year before last when nursie Laura brought it down from hospital.

Yours sounds like what the Mrs has had and still has. Cold, flu, headache, lost voice and generally feeling run down and crap..mist employees at her school has it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In the old days your GP would have told you it was Gastroenteritis.

Is it the same thing just with a 21st century name?

I had "Gastro" and genuinely thought I was going to die. Got it while skiing in Chamonix ... discovered nobody invented a bog that would accommodate what was going on. Remember doc telling me to drink loads of water and eat just rice and carrots. Not sure why rice and carrots .. maybe because that's what one usually throws up ???

3 days of pure hell

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What's the Azura like? I am a bit of a cruise veteran but have never been on P+O before. I sail on December 27th for a 11 nighter.

My personal thoughts. Azura is too big. Too many people. There are no facilities on board that are not on other smaller Ships.
Staff are very good. Food is the best I have ever had, any where, ever. Balcony cabins are very nice and everything works, as it should the Ship is not that old.
Didn't go to any shows, not my thing, but Fogdon Flax ( I think that's what he's called) appeared, he's quite funny, you've probably seen him as you are a veteran. He's everywhere.
It's a 4 Stars from me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The best response is basic hygeine. Most contamination occurs via the fecal oral route. This basically means an infected person getting pooh / puke on their hands, not washing properly and touching someone elses hands or a shared surface touced by someone else who then touches something (e.g. food) that they put in their mouths. Washing hands with soap and water for a good 20 seconds (you don't have to kill the virus - just wash it down the sink) is the best method to get rid of it if you have it or think you've come into contact. Contaminted surfaces like loo seats and kitchen worktops should be washed with household bleach diluted with water - no point in spending loads on fancy cleaning agents. None of this means you definately wont get it - but if everyone behaved like this it wouldn't spread anyware near as much as it does every winter.

There's 20 odd thousand at the Amex every other Saturday pooing and touching things. Best to go in full biological warfare garb and bring your own sterile sandwiches.

The same goes for trains and the workplace.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
very strange

4 o clock yesterday i was puking violently everywhere, woke up this morning not feeling too bad at all, stomach is making some funny noises but assuming that's because i havent eaten since 12.30 yesterday. don't feel as cold as yesterday and don't feel sick at all.....can't have passed in 12 hours surely..

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't know if it was Norovirus or something similar, but a few years ago I spent four hours sat on the toilet while leaning over the sink clearing out both ends, before unblocking the sink and then passing out in bed

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I got this after Huddersfield away a season or two ago. Started vomming in the bar next to Manc Oxford Road Station. The co-editor of TSLR had kindly sorted me and my missus out with a couple of tickets to a club, where I spent the entire time in the toilet waiting for the bouncers to knock on the door. Got back to the hotel, which was near some park where I duly doused the shrubbery in spew, and just about avoided my gleeful missus persuading the taxi driver to take me to hospital. Spent the night excreting green, brown and mauve in a Fawlty Towers hotel, then just about managed to get in Yorkie's car for a lift back, including a visit to her elderly in-laws which left me worrying whether I'd given them the plague. Got back, went straight to my mate's spare room and stayed in there until I was able to stand up. All in all, not the best 48 hours of my life, and it's had some competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here