Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Wisdom RIP (Merged)

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I saw him at Horsham Arts Centre, of all places, in the mid/late 80s. I have yet to be as excited about seeing someone live as I was then.

Hopefully we'll get a slew of his films now so people can catch up on some proper British culture and see what they missed!

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He would have been King of Albania if he had taken up their offer. A great MAN who can never be replaced. R.I.P

Wasn't that other Sussex legend CB Fry also offered the Throne of Albania?

Perhaps we should just refer to the place as 'South Sussex'?

Oh and RIP Sir Norman.

I used to laugh a lot at his films when I was young. There is something wonderfully eccentric about the fact he was a national hero in Albania!

Wikipedia (which must be true!) claims "Wisdom's fondness for Brighton & Hove Albion is renowned in Albania and consequently there are many "Seagulls" fans" Has anyone any evidence to support this - I don't recall any postings by "Albanian Seagull" anywhere!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sad to hear this news. However, one of the planet's unfunniest men.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RIP Sir Norman , my memories are of watching his films on TV on a Sunday afternoon because it was raining and I wasn't allowed out to play in the street.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Very sad to hear this ... RIP Norman

Watched his life story on TV recently, what a life he lead, from being turned out of his house by his father on the day he left school (and having to sleep rough until he joined the army) through to becoming one of the biggest stars of his generation ....

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Comic legend and Albion fan died today.

Minutes applause on Saturday?

BBC News - Comedian Sir Norman Wisdom dies

Comedy genius. People just do not appreciate the debt that we owe the music hall style of comedy. Without them our quite spectacular comedy heritage, we are the funniest people on the planet, would be greatly lessened.

Therefore I propose a minutes falling over on Saturday. Complementary cloth caps should be handed out at each turnstile and broad grins, high pitched voices and the mantra' Mr Grimsdale, Mr Grimsdale, Mr Grimsdale' must be chanted whilst falling about.

My own abiding memory of Sir Norman was him walking around the boundary at West Chiltington Cricket Club watching his son Nicky , also a Sussex CCC 2nd eleven player, play for WCCC against The Old Varndeanians.
I was later teens, I suppose , but couldn't believe that he walked in real life near enough the same as he did on film! He always had a few words for you too, considering then he was early 60s it is quite amazing. Kind considerate man.
Thanks for your great films, I have never tried to mow my lawn like you did Sir Norman , but maybe I will try next year?

Thoughts and happy memories to Sir Norman's Family. Let's get promoted and name one of the Falmer stands after him.

TNBA

TTF:albion2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here