Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Wisdom last night!

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
A man who made the nation laugh for so many years, his kids sale his cars, and put poor old Norm in a home, beacause the spoilt daughter wont leave her flea ridden dog? and the son wont leave his poxy sports shop? Normans kids must feel very proud !!!!:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He has got advanced dementia, hasn't he? I would have thought he would need 24 hour care and a nursing home would be the best place for him. Certianly preferable to being stuck in a flat with just a nurse (actually on second thoughts...).

On reading Wikipedia, it says...

"Wisdom is a well-known and loved cult film icon in Albania and was the only Western actor whose films were allowed in the country during the Communist dictatorship of Enver Hoxha.....His fondness for Brighton & Hove Albion is renowned in Albania and consequently there are many 'Seagulls' fans in Albania."

I know he wrote lyrics for 'Good Old Sussex by the Sea'.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
"Wisdom is a well-known and loved cult film icon in Albania and was the only Western actor whose films were allowed in the country during the Communist dictatorship of Enver Hoxha.....His fondness for Brighton & Hove Albion is renowned in Albania and consequently there are many 'Seagulls' fans in Albania."

I know he wrote lyrics for 'Good Old Sussex by the Sea'.

In March 2001 when England played away to Albania Norman Wisdom went on a lap of honour before the game kicked off. It took us a while to realise who it was!

Also from memory I believe that when that game finished 7 of the 11 players on the England side were Manchester United players - I think that is a record!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i read somewhere that he doesn't actually support the albion, he's an orient fan or something weird like that.
He appears to keep changing his allegiances. Orient's a new one on me but in the last ten years or so I've read articles where he's described himself as an Arsenal fan and then as a Newcastle fan (he was an STH at St James' Park for a while). In the 'Arsenal' article he DID profess to having a 'soft spot' for Brighton but he declared that 'Arsenal are the team for me.'

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
He appears to keep changing his allegiances. Orient's a new one on me but in the last ten years or so I've read articles where he's described himself as an Arsenal fan and then as a Newcastle fan (he was an STH at St James' Park for a while). In the 'Arsenal' article he DID profess to having a 'soft spot' for Brighton but he declared that 'Arsenal are the team for me.'

Yeah, but to be fair he is suffering from advanced dementia:jester:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A man who made the nation laugh for so many years, his kids sale his cars, and put poor old Norm in a home, beacause the spoilt daughter wont leave her flea ridden dog? and the son wont leave his poxy sports shop? Normans kids must feel very proud !!!!:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Did you actually watch the program ?

The man is nearly 93 years old, dosent want to leave the Isle of Man...and has advanced dementia !
On doctors advice he was moved into a home.
The man needs an audience and at the home he gets that, not stuck rattling around in a big house all on his own effectively.
He looked made up to be in that home to me.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I didnt think his family came out of it very well. It was them who actually said they didnt want him to leave the Isle of Man. Wouldnt have anything to do with tax would it? The son said he didnt like using the name Wisdom, but whats the name of his sports shop? Is it Daves Sports Shop? The Sport Shop? No its Wisdom Sports. When he went to meet his father at the airport he looked embarrased and like he didnt want to be there. O.K it might have been because the cameras were there, but why agree to them filning that then?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He didnt say he didnt like using the name Wisdom, he said he didnt like being introduced as Norman Wisdoms son, a big difference.

Norman Wisdom has always said he dosent want to leave the isle of man, its where all his friends are that visit him.

And as you say how comfortable would you look with an army of camera men following you around.

I personally thought they came out of the program very well and get a great deal of sympathy from me.

He agreed to the filming because of all the bad press the family had been getting about moving him into a home and wanted people to see the truth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didnt think his family came out of it very well. It was them who actually said they didnt want him to leave the Isle of Man. Wouldnt have anything to do with tax would it? The son said he didnt like using the name Wisdom, but whats the name of his sports shop? Is it Daves Sports Shop? The Sport Shop? No its Wisdom Sports. When he went to meet his father at the airport he looked embarrased and like he didnt want to be there. O.K it might have been because the cameras were there, but why agree to them filning that then?

I can only imagine what it must be like to have a relative with, and to deal with, advanced dimentia. I am sure the family are under a lot of pressure and emotion so please cut them a bit of slack and dont be so judgemental.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I thought it was a great programme and the family were doing a stirling job.
Norman is obviously a very loved bloke, who likes drives in the country and ice cream. Good man.

To slag off his family seems totally unnecessary and frankly rather bizarre.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the programme was a response from his family to some extremely unfair headlines that were in the Sun (or some such newspaper) to the effect that the family had just abandoned "much loved comedy legend Norman" without so much as a backward glance.

If you saw the programme, you'll see the lengths they went to to care for him- they actually turned their whole family lives around to come up with some kind of plan. OK, it didn't work in the end, but you can't say they just dumped him in a home without a thought.

Sufferers of Alzheimers or dementia don't just turn into forgetful but endlessly smiling old geriatrics. It can affect their personalities too, and people who were previously cheerful and friendly can become angry, frustrated and verbally abusive, all without having a clue who you are.

Unless you've ever had to watch someone close to you get to the point where they don't even recognise you, let alone remember your name, I'd suggest you're in no position to judge Norman Wisdom's family for the decisions they've had to make.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
The Newspapers first broke this story late last year, slagging off the family just for the sake of a "good" story, and without giving them their chance to give their side.

Why shouldn't Nick use his name for his shop? He doesn't call it Norman Wisdom Sports, and I doubt anyway if anyone would go there just because they thought there was a connection with Norman. As to the cars, they were sold to prevent him from driving. I wouldn't have fancied him coming the opposite way to me on a narrow lane.

I suspect that the dementia is now more advanced than was shown last night as most of the filming clearly took place last summer, and for all we know Norman is now "out of it". As anyone who has dealt with dementia knows, it gets to the stage where visitors aren't recognised, it is difficult to even have a conversation, and all this can go on for years. Whilst it is nice to have the family close by, realistically there isn't much benefit to either side, and clearly Norman is better served by being in a home where he can get 24 hour care, and the attention on which he clearly thrives.

I for one have every sympathy for both Norman and his family.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well said GO Norman was one of our greatest exports to Albania and done wonders over there for the children of that country,he also put Brighton on the map with his film(s) and was a good supporter of the Albion and in my books that makes him one of us.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I think the programme was a response from his family to some extremely unfair headlines that were in the Sun (or some such newspaper) to the effect that the family had just abandoned "much loved comedy legend Norman" without so much as a backward glance.

If you saw the programme, you'll see the lengths they went to to care for him- they actually turned their whole family lives around to come up with some kind of plan. OK, it didn't work in the end, but you can't say they just dumped him in a home without a thought.

Sufferers of Alzheimers or dementia don't just turn into forgetful but endlessly smiling old geriatrics. It can affect their personalities too, and people who were previously cheerful and friendly can become angry, frustrated and verbally abusive, all without having a clue who you are.

Unless you've ever had to watch someone close to you get to the point where they don't even recognise you, let alone remember your name, I'd suggest you're in no position to judge Norman Wisdom's family for the decisions they've had to make.
Correct. I finally put my mother in a home last week. She has advanced dementia. I have managed to keep her in her own home for six years but there comes a point when you cannot provide the care she needs. Heartbreaking and a relief at the same time.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Correct. I finally put my mother in a home last week. She has advanced dementia. I have managed to keep her in her own home for six years but there comes a point when you cannot provide the care she needs. Heartbreaking and a relief at the same time.

I really feel for you. My mum had vascular dementia and went into a home (sadly she died in May).
She's in a better place now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here