Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker

sullyupthewing said:
What he did fail to say was that that the cut flower industry in Kenya employs thousands of people who would otherwise be living in poverty.
Alternatively, they could be growing food for local sale and consumption (and I'm not talking about french beans that are flown into Stansted Airport for Tesco's to pack and sell).

Baker is quite right on this issue. And he judges his electorate fairly well - this kind of high profile rant plays well in Lewes and costs him nothing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Norman Baker

Lord Bracknell said:
Alternatively, they could be growing food for local sale and consumption (and I'm not talking about french beans that are flown into Stansted Airport for Tesco's to pack and sell).

Baker is quite right on this issue. And he judges his electorate fairly well - this kind of high profile rant plays well in Lewes and costs him nothing.

I would assume that growing Tulips has larger financial benefits for the farmers than food, otherwise, surely they would grow food. Or perhaps the soil is suited to growing flowers as opposed to crops. Certainly flowers are less likely to be stolen than food crops.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
People in Kenya are starving because food isn't being grown locally.
Valuable growing land and water are being used for flowers.

Re: Re: Re: Norman Baker

BarrelofFun said:
I would assume that growing Tulips has larger financial benefits for the farmers than food, otherwise, surely they would grow food. Or perhaps the soil is suited to growing flowers as opposed to crops. Certainly flowers are less likely to be stolen than food crops.
The problem with agriculture in East Africa is that it has been forced to develop to meet the requirements of multi national corporations, not the needs of the local market. Faced with the power of Tesco, farmers have little choice. If they achieve a "financial benefit" from growing flowers, you can bet that the next thing that will happen is that Tesco will steal the profit off them, by forcing down the price of flowers. The alternative - growing food for local consumption - is only a realistic choice if the local market is properly developed and good local infrastructure is available to get produce to the market place. And - hey! - that never seems to happen, although, mysteriously, it seems quite easy to get tulips on to aeroplanes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'll take your words for it. I must confess I haven't looked into the Kenyan economy in great detail.......at all.

I was following along the lines of argument for Malawi. I visited Malawi and they have a very very dry climate and most of the land is only suitable for Tabacco, which is their greatest export. Without the Tabacco industry, Malawi would no longer be the 8th poorest country. Possibly the poorest.

I would have to agree that if the land is suitable for food then they must be encouraged by the Kenyan government and subsidised. Then we get onto the topic of national debt....cancel it!!

I would assume Baker is thinking more of spreading the money here though. Rather than looking at the wider picture. That is certainly what this article suggests.

Yorkie said:
People in Kenya are starving because food isn't being grown locally.
Valuable growing land and water are being used for flowers.
You're right, Yorkie. But keep your eyes open next time you visit Tesco.

Where were those french beans grown?

And do we REALLY need to be eating french beans in February?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
You're right, Yorkie. But keep your eyes open next time you visit Tesco.

Where were those french beans grown?

And do we REALLY need to be eating french beans in February?

I can't afford french beans. I buy cabbage and broccoli, although I will have a look next time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Norman Baker

Lord Bracknell said:
The problem with agriculture in East Africa is that it has been forced to develop to meet the requirements of multi national corporations, not the needs of the local market. Faced with the power of Tesco, farmers have little choice. If they achieve a "financial benefit" from growing flowers, you can bet that the next thing that will happen is that Tesco will steal the profit off them, by forcing down the price of flowers. The alternative - growing food for local consumption - is only a realistic choice if the local market is properly developed and good local infrastructure is available to get produce to the market place. And - hey! - that never seems to happen, although, mysteriously, it seems quite easy to get tulips on to aeroplanes.

Governmental subsidies are essential, but if they are making so much money out of the industries and have a huge national debt bill, I guess their hands are tied, and they would rather take the money from multinationals. The amount of corruption in Africa is beyond words. Surprisingly ;) the poorest countries.

Cancelling world debt would be a great start to free up funds. After all, many of the first world countries have "pillaged" the riches of Africa.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is depressing knowing that the vegetables and fruit that you are eating are better travelled than you. It has been a while now since I went to Cuba, Africa and South America. Yet I am about to eat some prunes from Italy, some Satsumas from South Africa and a mango from Trinidad.

Lucky buggers!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norman Baker

BarrelofFun said:
Governmental subsidies are essential, but if they are making so much money out of the industries and have a huge national debt bill, I guess their hands are tied, and they would rather take the money from multinationals. The amount of corruption in Africa is beyond words. Surprisingly ;) the poorest countries.

Cancelling world debt would be a great start to free up funds. After all, many of the first world countries have "pillaged" the riches of Africa.

Kenya have been told that their debt would be cancelled in accordance to cleaning up the corruption. The minister responsible for cleaning it up is in hiding in London right now.
It was being discussed on Radio 2 at lunchtime.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norman Baker

Yorkie said:
Kenya have been told that their debt would be cancelled in accordance to cleaning up the corruption. The minister responsible for cleaning it up is in hiding in London right now.
It was being discussed on Radio 2 at lunchtime.
Oh for god sake. Meanwhile the Kenyans suffer.....

A task force is needed to clean up. Come on United Nations!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's quite easy for Norman to come up with this sort of garbage. Making these sort of statements just show what a knobhead he is. A lot of people would have ordered flowers off the internet for Valentines Day blissfully unaware where they are sourced from and they dont particularly care , if they have been purchased at a resonable price. To satisfy consumer demand it sounds logical to me that you will have to fly in supplies from overseas so what is his problem ? Reading the post above with the word "corruption" in it made me think of Norman Baker's compatriot who now lives in Bath , allegedly.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Re: Re: Norman Baker

Lord Bracknell said:

I firstly misread the word "rant" as "xxxx" or was it something in my subconscious?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bromley shrimp said:
No wonder Nod's given up his seat next to you.

Sorry? What do you mean? If you are referring to last Saturday he was working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here