Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

norman baker

he may have been opposed to Falmer to support his constituents ( as a good MP should), but at least he has got the bo****s to stand up against the government
As a good MP, he should have supported the majority of his constituents who wanted the stadium built at Falmer.

As for standing up against the government, he's now a minister, doing nothing very much and hiding behind the excuse that he has no choice but to cut services because the Treasury is telling him to.

And, as a government minister, he's not allowed to ask the sort of awkward questions in parliament that built his reputation as a politician who might be worth voting for.

But, hey! £89,435 a year, plus expenses, isn't to be sniffed at.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He has constantly opposed improvements to the A27 between Lewes and Polegate, much to the detriment of his constituents who live at one end and work at the other.
Basically, he's an opinionated gobshite.

(oh, and didn't he get pissy because he couldn't claim for a bicycle on expenses, having to buy it himself like the rest of us ?)

Improvements in this context of a car-obsessed - admit you watch "Top Gear" whenever you can - lump of cow manure, would be a two-carriageway motorway between Beddingham and Polegatte right through one of the most picturesque parts of Sussex, right alongside the National Park boundary, - conveniently drawn along the north side of the A27, not the railway line or further inland to the north as it has been in Hampshire- so turning those rural Sussex communities along the way into a hel.

I've seen what the A27 is like at Emsworth, talk about turning life into a nightmare. This argument about a motorway box is 20th Centuury auto -obsessed thinking and should be left in the 20th Century.

People in Eastbourne bleat about not being linked to the motorway network, as if that explains why the place has progressively declined as a working town rather than a holiday resort for the geriatric. They should start instead looking at the rundown misery that is east of the railway station, the drugs, the shut shops, the crazy parking regulations and clean up the town first.

And if you live in Eastbourne and work in Brighton or vice-versa, why not take the train? That's what's been planned at Falmer...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As a good MP, he should have supported the majority of his constituents who wanted the stadium built at Falmer.

As for standing up against the government, he's now a minister, doing nothing very much and hiding behind the excuse that he has no choice but to cut services because the Treasury is telling him to.

And, as a government minister, he's not allowed to ask the sort of awkward questions in parliament that built his reputation as a politician who might be worth voting for.

But, hey! £89,435 a year, plus expenses, isn't to be sniffed at.

Spoken like a true rider of the Milibandwagon...but you haven't got his effete accent Ed, have you?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Surely it's a case of having to, the stadium is almost built, they might as well work with us to make it work as well as it can, for everyone, no sense in being awkward about it now.

Not true: LDC voted not to oppose the stadium once permission was finally granted, given that the field had been taken out of the National Park.

It then also didn't oppose the wholesale alterations that massively bulked the stadium up way higher than the original plans and removed the "green" roof which was supposed to blend in the stadium with the green areas around it.

Why not go back and look at the plans over which two national inquiries were held, and compare them to what is actually nearing completion? Some difference...not that I am against the stadium concept myself.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've seen what the A27 is like at Emsworth, talk about turning life into a nightmare. This argument about a motorway box is 20th Centuury auto -obsessed thinking and should be left in the 20th Century.

Well I think those towns west of Chichester are a lot better now that they're not choked with traffic, but that's just a personal view. Anyway, assuming we're not going to go back to the early 19th century and live work and die a few miles from our place of birth - how ARE people supposed to get from A to B?

PS - I don't watch Top Gear and I don't own a car (however my wife does as she has to drive around Brighton visiting sick people).

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not true: LDC voted not to oppose the stadium once permission was finally granted, given that the field had been taken out of the National Park.

It then also didn't oppose the wholesale alterations that massively bulked the stadium up way higher than the original plans and removed the "green" roof which was supposed to blend in the stadium with the green areas around it.

Why not go back and look at the plans over which two national inquiries were held, and compare them to what is actually nearing completion? Some difference...not that I am against the stadium concept myself.

The green roof was removed before the second public inquiry and the stadium has not been bulked up in size of height. It still is the same height and footprint as that which was decided on via the planning process.

But let's not let facts get in the way of your statement

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The green roof was removed before the second public inquiry and the stadium has not been bulked up in size of height. It still is the same height and footprint as that which was decided on via the planning process.

But let's not let facts get in the way of your statement

I stand corrected...but I could have SWORN the "Argus" was putting the "Green-roofed" option in the papers when the second public inquiry was current, and afterwards.

Footprint I would agree, but what about all the additional space which was put in underneath for educational purposes?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
In fact the footprint is SMALLER because City College pulled out and the building that was supposed to be linked to the back of the east stand hasn't been built.

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
Norman Baker, the bloke who FLEW to New Zealand to deliver a speach about the dangers of global warming!! (and I bet he claimed back the fare!!) :facepalm::tosser:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Norman Baker, the bloke who FLEW to New Zealand to deliver a speach about the dangers of global warming!! (and I bet he claimed back the fare!!) :facepalm::tosser:

Please provide evidence of this. I would LOVE this if it were true.
Truly he is a complete and utter git.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
he may have been opposed to Falmer to support his constituents ( as a good MP should), but at least he has got the bo****s to stand up against the government and its "services" to try and get the truth published about an innocent scientist and his "untimely" suicide. Respect to him :bowdown:

I hold no brief for the former administration's approach to Iraq.

However that does not mean that anyone opposed to their stance is necessarily right. In my opinion our Norm's book falls into the category of unproven (at best).

Whether Dr Kelly felt pressurised to do something drastic becuse of outside pressure is - sadly - something probably we'll never know.

Leaves a sour taste in the mouth whatever happened; mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here