Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker v The Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Baker Meets With Albion Bosses

Lewes MP Norman Baker was at Withdean Stadium last week to meet Albion chairman Dick Knight and chief executive Martin Perry. Baker saw first hand the work the club does in its wider community role, observing a coaching session and being given a tour of one of the club's study support centres. Both Baker and the club found the meeting "constructive and helpful".

Norman Baker said, "I welcome this meeting. Of course the club and myself have taken different sides on the issue of the proposed stadium at Falmer, but I think it is important that that disagreement does not prevent sensible discussions on this and indeed other matters. I was, for example, pleased to be able to see first hand the good work the club has been doing to create really worthwhile educational opportunities for local people, and to get across to kids in a structured and effective way important messages about road safety or fire safety. All this clearly provides a community benefit and I congratulate the club on what it is doing in this regard. On the Falmer stadium issue, I think it helps if I am quite clear as to why the club has reached the position it has, and equally, if the club understands why many of us in Lewes, while wanting to be supportive to the club, have felt that we cannot support this particular proposal.

"In any case, it looks as if we may, thankfully, at last be entering the final straight. Given that, I strongly believe that the responsible course for those on both sides of the argument is now to start working together to prepare for the aftermath of either a yes or a no from Ruth Kelly, and I have indicated to the club that I am ready to do so."

Dick Knight said, " Our meeting with Norman Baker was constructive and long overdue. He was able to see the Albion's role in the community in a broader perspective and there was an open exchange of views on the Falmer Stadium issue. Mr Baker agreed that with Ruth Kelly's decision process back on track, the Falmer issue must now be finally resolved and that all parties should be working to achieve this. I am pleased that Mr Baker takes that view and in the interests of a better understanding on both sides, I am happy to expand further on the Club's stadium thinking with him, and Martin and I will doing so in the near future."

Didn't he make that promise before? ???

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Like anybody would trust that two faced snake.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He promised to accept the decision before - didn't he?

Ps Apologies for answering a question with a question!

This has been long overdue and perhaps the LDC should also have met with the club to see, first hand, what they are jeopardising with their anti-falmer(stadium) crusade.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I look at it another way, he is a politician and as such is keeping one eye on being re-elected, I reckon he has realised that Falmer is likely to get the nod so is positioning himself in a way which looks as though he is gracious and inclusive if the decision goes our way...otherwise why is he only now doing PR visits to Withdean and being so publicly impressed with the excellent work the club does for the community??

Watch out, next he will be wearing an albion shirt at some photo op.

???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
bhaexpress said:
Like anybody would trust that two faced snake.

Norman Baker could crawl under a snake with a top hat on....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
thought he was prepared to accept it before but LDC as a unit didnt. He was then tied by what they had chosen & towed the line

Same situation this time really , its not down to him to drop their arguement, is it ?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This story was on the Albion website. I suspect that Faker is not too keen to publicise his visit to Withdean. It wouldn't impress the Falmer nimbys if Faker started to behave like a reasonable man.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure this wasn't a Baker initiative, but a club one. And very clever, too. Baker being forced to acknowledge the club is a force for good in the community subtly reinforces a lot of the arguments for Falmer, from where that work will be bigger and better - despite him maintaining his opposition.

In fact I'm really surprised the weasel agreed to do it, his LDC mates can't be happy.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
I look at it another way, he is a politician and as such is keeping one eye on being re-elected, I reckon he has realised that Falmer is likely to get the nod so is positioning himself in a way which looks as though he is gracious and inclusive if the decision goes our way...otherwise why is he only now doing PR visits to Withdean and being so publicly impressed with the excellent work the club does for the community??

Watch out, next he will be wearing an albion shirt at some photo op.

???

THats exactly my thoughts!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
To be honest in the planning context, Baker is an irrelevance. What he does provide is comfort and support to LDC. If he is now backtracking then it leaves LDC even more isolated.

One thing is for sure. Baker is not wanted at Falmer

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He is scum

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Does he now accept that, whilst not ideal, Falmer is the best AVAILABLE site?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Norman Baker could crawl under a snake with a top hat on....
Why would a snake wear a top hat?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Still got his lies on his website though.

Oi Baker - who do you think you're kidding? Sucking up to both the anti and the pro-Falmer brigade? Hope you get shafted by both.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Buzzer said:

Oi Baker - who do you think you're kidding? Sucking up to both the anti and the pro-Falmer brigade? Hope you get shafted by both.

What he said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here