Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker -- it could all have been so different...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
has she just sat on a spike?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gah, its so wrong having anything to agree with Baker on. :angry: :angry: :angry:

DNA databasing is something I rip in to my local politicians over. We don't have one but the Law Reform Commission (aka a Government Patsy) advised that we set one up, with infinite retention and no right to destruction. Like the UK, in fact.

Oddly enough the candidates from the government parties have done head-in-the-sand over it by email and in person. The opposition parties have all responded :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mrs Coach said:
Nah, her boyfriends called John.

....and we drift off into the twilight zone.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gilliver's Travels said:
If only Baker hadn't decided to oppose the stadium, people on here would probably be cheering him to the rafters...

Look at last Wednesday's exchange between Baker and our Prime Minister...

Norman Baker (Lewes, Liberal Democrat)

Under this Government, millions of innocent people have been added to the DNA database, which is the largest in the world. People are locked up without trial for 28 days—the Prime Minister wanted 90 days. Free speech outside Parliament has been banned, children are routinely fingerprinted in schools and there are plans to curb trial by jury and force ID cards on us. Yet, last year, the Prime Minister said:

"I don't want to live in a police state or a Big Brother society or put any of our essential freedoms in jeopardy."

Is it not time the Prime Minister showed some consistency between what he says and what he does?

Tony Blair:
I gather from that rant that the hon. Gentleman is not entirely in favour of my position on those issues. I caught at least part of it, about the DNA database. Let me explain why it is an important policy for the country and for fighting crime. As a result of the DNA database, we can now match samples, sometimes several hundred and even several thousand a month. Consequently, we are solving murders, rapes and some of the most serious burglaries and assaults. It is essential to use new technology, such as CCTV and other things, to ensure that we make our country safer. The idea that, by doing that—and thereby, for example, solving some of the unsolved murders from years ago—we are creating a police state shows how far the Liberal Democrats are out of touch with reality.

Sorry - I disagree with Norm on both Falmer AND the above. I actually think Blair's response is spot on.

If the state would like to take my fingerprints, DNA, and skin sample, and some photographs of the imprint my trainers leave, then they are very welcome. If ever I decide to rape and murder someone, then I would wish they didn't have all that info, but until then I'm not bothered.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
He WONT loose his seat in the next election, far to popular locally for that to happen.

Still a CANT tho.:nono:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
Storer68 said:
oh dear, an MP gets castigated because he represents his constituents, voices their concerns and asks a few (hundred, I know I've had to answer some of them) questions trying to keep Ministers accountable for their actions.

And just because we may to disagree with him, doesn't make him a C@@t. It makes him a democrat.

and I would just point out that last Friday, he spoke for nealry five hours so that the Private members Bill preventing MPs being included in the Freedom of Information Act failed to make any progress......

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this (normally I find myself agreeing with your posts). At the moment the A&E services in mid-sussex and Brighton are being taken to the cleaners, basically there is an attempt to down grade and shut Princess Royal and move these services to brighton, unfortunately Brighton cannot cope which means both the people of Brighton and Mid-Sussex (part of which is in Norm's consituency) are getting a very poor service, AS WILL the people of Lewis. SO you would expect Norman to get involved wouldn't you? well he did ... last April, the fact that Fatty Soames and the other Tory who name escapes me have been involved for years seemed to have passed him by. The only reason he got involved is becase the local rag got a few sly digs in. Hypocrite of the highest order, as are the LD of mid-sussexwhich doesn't please me as I' ve voted LD for 25 years.

Secondly, he's been 'giving it large' concerning the death of the Guy who committed suicide over WMD (apologies to all as I'm having a bad name day). All very rightegous until you realise that all will be made clear in a book that good old Norm is going to write Kerrr f**king Ching. :tosser:

Finally, he publicly stated that he'd stand by the decision, he hasn't. He states that it's nothing to do with him as it's down to LDC, yet he sticks his oar in at every possible moment but takes step a back everytime he gets flack ... and for someone who claims to be 'on the ball' with his facts, why is he so factually incorrect ..... He deals in mis-information and and innuedo ..

Sorry, but he's as bad as all the rest .....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He can't win a local election because he is an MP.
Councillors win local elections. MP's win seats in a General election.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I have a small amount of respect for him as he replied to two of my letters Re:Falmer with an explanation of his position. As I'm not one of his constituents, I'm not sure whether he really had to. So that's one positive for him. Also, as far as I know my MP Tim Loughton is against it also, or so I've heard. So he's not the only one.

Basically, I disagree with his position on Falmer, and hope for that he gets voted out because of that. But apart from that I couldn't give two hoots about the bloke as he ain't my MP. Although I suppose he comes across as someone who stands up strongly for what he believes (even if we know he's wrong), so again another plus point.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kinky Gerbils said:
The thing about Baker is apart from the Falmer issue he is a quite good mp

Is correct.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Re: Re: Norman Baker -- it could all have been so different...

hans kraay fan club said:
Sorry - I disagree with Norm on both Falmer AND the above. I actually think Blair's response is spot on.

If the state would like to take my fingerprints, DNA, and skin sample, and some photographs of the imprint my trainers leave, then they are very welcome. If ever I decide to rape and murder someone, then I would wish they didn't have all that info, but until then I'm not bothered.

:clap:

To all those who oppose a database to help catch murderers and rapists: What do you have to hide?

If nothing, why would you oppose any measure that improves conviction rates?

[edit: typo]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Norman Baker -- it could all have been so different...

DTES said:
:clap:

To all those who oppose a database to help catch murderers and rapists: What do you have to hide?

If nothing, why would you oppose any measure that improves conviction rates?

[edit: typo]

It's everything else the Government might do with the data in the future that scares me. I don't trust them an inch and for that reason alone I oppose the DNA database being used to store data on people who have never been convicted. The ID scam they are trying to pull is another reason to be very afraid.

I'm sure the Nazi's collection of data seemed very reasonable to start with ....

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
baker singing

apparently he belonged to a band and they got asked to stop playing as they emptied the elephant and castle obviously a shit party:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here