Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's interesting. The Amex is a stadium where they want most out-of-town fans to arrive by bus (either direct or P&R) or by train - so if there are no buses or trains it does make it very difficult to stage a match. Or at least stage a match with a sizeable crowd. Sure us locals, or relative locals, can walk (takes me an hour), but if too many decide to do that then it may get postponed for 'safety reasons'. Can't have the pavements too crowded can we? Someone might get forced off into the road and knocked down. (The good news is at least they won't get knocked down by a bus)

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I will be very disappointed if they move it.

Me too.

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Boxing Day 2012: Albion v Millwall

That piece above is a prelude to a postponement surely?

As mentioned many times, we know the uniqueness of The Amex & its large reliance on public transport as part of a sustainable plan. However, the 'Boxing day situation' is unique in itself. We'r facing a situation where our public transport providers are telling us, we can't or won't provide the usual facilities on Boxing Day. The trains haven't run for many years on a Boxing day so isn't that unique a situation. The park & ride buses however are a chartered service rather than a scheduled regular service. If they fail to provide their contracted services on the grounds of "its Boxing Day, "its too expensive", "can't get the staff", "blah blah blah" then Brighton & Hove Buses are surely in breach of contract? I find it hard to imagine there is a get out clause for Boxing Day in that contract? That is a side issue though......,

No other club in the Country will have a public transport service to ship their fans to games en masse, bar a few tubes & buses in the London area. Fans of other teams will be relying on private cars much more than usual. There will be a serious strain on parking at many grounds. If the Millwall game goes ahead, would our transportation issues be that radically different to many other clubs? Particularly those who have a similar average attendance as us? If there are no trains or buses on Boxing Day, it will be a huge inconvenience & gigantic pain in the arse for many. HOWEVER, with a bit of pre planning by the club & authorities, the situation is surely manageable?

I mentioned earlier in the thread about possible alternative car parks in the area that were a half reasonable walk to The Amex. If its a long stroll, then fine. Thats what many people do on a Boxing Day. Of course, there are people with mobility issue's & I accept that it won't be possible for everyone. Stanmer Park? Brighton University? Using other City car parks with chartered private coaches from ANOTHER provider to ship fans to The Amex? These suggestions will no doubt send Jason Kitkat & his gang of wet farts into meltdown, but due to circumstances beyond the clubs control, they have been put in a situation where they are unable to implement the usual matchday transport plan.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me too.

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Boxing Day 2012: Albion v Millwall

As mentioned many times, we know the uniqueness of The Amex & its large reliance on public transport as part of a sustainable plan. However, the 'Boxing day situation' is unique in itself. We'r facing a situation where our public transport providers are telling us, we can't or won't provide the usual facilities on Boxing Day. The trains haven't run for many years on a Boxing day so isn't that unique a situation. The park & ride buses however are a chartered service rather than a scheduled regular service. If they fail to provide their contracted services on the grounds of "its Boxing Day, "its too expensive", "can't get the staff", "blah blah blah" then Brighton & Hove Buses are surely in breach of contract? I find it hard to imagine there is a get out clause for Boxing Day in that contract? That is a side issue though......,

No other club in the Country will have a public transport service to ship their fans to games en masse, bar a few tubes & buses in the London area. Fans of other teams will be relying on private cars much more than usual. There will be a serious strain on parking at many grounds. If the Millwall game goes ahead, would our transportation issues be that radically different to many other clubs? Particularly those who have a similar average attendance as us? If there are no trains or buses on Boxing Day, it will be a huge inconvenience & gigantic pain in the arse for many. HOWEVER, with a bit of pre planning by the club & authorities, the situation is surely manageable?

I mentioned earlier in the thread about possible alternative car parks in the area that were a half reasonable walk to The Amex. If its a long stroll, then fine. Thats what many people do on a Boxing Day. Of course, there are people with mobility issue's & I accept that it won't be possible for everyone. Stanmer Park? Brighton University? Using other City car parks with chartered private coaches from ANOTHER provider to ship fans to The Amex? These suggestions will no doubt send Jason Kitkat & his gang of wet farts into meltdown, but due to circumstances beyond the clubs control, they have been put in a situation where they are unable to implement the usual matchday transport plan.

True. If the game is moved it also sends a very worrying message to the rail and Brighton and Hove Bus mob ie they can hold us to ransom.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Me too.

A scenario which would have proved Lewes District Council right all along - that we can put matches on without the need for public transport, and that Sheepcote Valley would have been the cheaper, better option.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A scenario which would have proved Lewes District Council right all along - that we can put matches on without the need for public transport, and that Sheepcote Valley would have been the cheaper, better option.

Which is totally immaterial. Who gives a monkeys what LCD think?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure that matters any more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Aside from that, why is public transport a problem? Surely public transport is better than private transport, so if there is no public transport, a day when there is, would be better, than 10,000 cars turning up ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think there's a difference between putting on the odd game without public transport ('rising to the challenge' I think Herr Tubby called it) and being able to do it every single time. There's no way I could walk to the Amex for every match, I don't always have the time for one thing.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ah! Just found out this thread is now of academic interest only for me as my wife has to work Christmas Day; therefore Boxing day will be our Christmas Day - so I won't be going anyway!

(I'm sure you all really wanted to know that ...)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This match is a certainty to be moved. The Amex cannot manage without getting people to and from the game without Trains, Buses, and particuarly P&R. There simply isn't the capacity to support the amount of parking near the stadium that would be required.

Why it has been left this late to sort I have no idea though, and I am astounded that we didn't request an away game for Boxing Day knowing that trains don't run.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
They already gave us away games because of Pride and the Lib Dem conference, they can't meet every request.
I'm quite happy to walk 7 or 8 miles there and back from my house, maybe further if I take a detour to a pub in town.
It's bollox if we can never have a home game on Boxing Day again.

Any chance of a piggy back?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think there's a difference between putting on the odd game without public transport ('rising to the challenge' I think Herr Tubby called it) and being able to do it every single time. There's no way I could walk to the Amex for every match, I don't always have the time for one thing.

The point I was - obviously poorly - trying to make was that the reasons we screamed that Sheepcote was a hopeless scenario were for reasons that are going to make Boxing Day a nightmare - not enough car parks, nowhere near enough buses (however many are hired), no trains etc.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Ah! Just found out this thread is now of academic interest only for me as my wife has to work Christmas Day; therefore Boxing day will be our Christmas Day - so I won't be going anyway!

(I'm sure you all really wanted to know that ...)

I'd have thought that whether the game is moved is of more than academic interest to you now!

PG

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Don't worry, it is going to snow and the match will be called off.
But as mentioned before, the Goldstone would have 30,000+ playing Palace or Pompey or another 'local' team and it worked. Boxing Day always has a local club because of transport problems. The Amex does have local parking, we're just not allowed to use it. Goldstone was a good 20 minute walk to the car and then 30 minutes trying to get out of Dyke Road.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Would be very very sad if we can't hold this fixture at some stage on Boxing Day. Moving the kick off time is one thing, but changing the day is another.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
People on here should also remember that not EVERYONE can drive or is able to get a lift. I mean you can hardly get a lift there and expect the person to wait around Brighton for a couple of hours (unless they are a woman, in which case they can knock themselves out with the sales).

Driving also means that a lot more people wont be drinking either, something Azure wont be happy with. Get the impression from some people on here that all STHs are from Brighton and they dont seem to care about anyone who isnt from Brighton.

Moving the match may also mean Sky could put it on TV, gaining the club more money. It also gives us an extended Christmas break - both positives. But it will mean that we will have 1 game in hand for a couple of months and adds another midweek game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Indeed. Rise to the challenge! Dunkirk spirit and all that. A flotilla of large cars. Your club needs you! Can we do it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Indeed. Rise to the challenge! Dunkirk spirit and all that. A flotilla of large cars. Your club needs you! Can we do it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just don't understand why if it was so vital that we didn't play at home on Boxing Day it wasn't sorted when the fixtures were worked out

Maybe part of the reason Ken Brown got the elbow?

Edit: actually he went before the end of last season didn't he :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here