Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Why should the club really care anyway? With so many season ticket-holders it won't make any difference to the declared crowd or ticket income. it would be 25000 even if no-one turns up - and the on the day costs - staff etc could be reduced!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why should the club really care anyway? With so many season ticket-holders it won't make any difference to the declared crowd or ticket income. it would be 25000 even if no-one turns up - and the on the day costs - staff etc could be reduced!

They would care in terms of less pie and beer take up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If it goes ahead on Boxing Day, I reckon the crowd will be around 15,000. The fact that it is Millwall will have an effect on the gate (because it always does) and coupled with the problems created by an absence of public transport it will add up to a massive number of people just choosing to skip it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Less income from food, drink, programmes ?!?!?! Seeing as we sell shed loads as it is. Match by match ticket sales will suffer too, as will away ticket sales - the club would lose so much money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it goes ahead on Boxing Day, I reckon the crowd will be around 15,000. The fact that it is Millwall will have an effect on the gate (because it always does) and coupled with the problems created by an absence of public transport it will add up to a massive number of people just choosing to skip it.

There will be those who are away for Christmas to take into account also.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How often are the trains running London to Brighton and what about Portsmouth to Brighton? My reasoning being that people could get to Brighton The bus company could put on buses as per park and ride but from Brighton station.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No other club has 80% of its fans using public transport to get to matches - you can't compare us and other clubs.

Is this correct? I find it hard to believe that only 20% of people walk, cycle, use a P&R or one of the three car parks.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Is this correct? I find it hard to believe that only 20% of people walk, cycle, use a P&R or one of the three car parks.

A survey was done during the very first few games last season and the figure came out near 80%. This was based on how people got to the Amex, rather than how they got to Brighton, so all P&R were counted as using public transport. The information was used as part of the additional planning app, which is where i read the details etc. Compared to surveys done at other clubs i recall we were at least double most other clubs in this respect.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
P&R Boxing Day?

I was supposed to work Boxing Day and would get 2.5x pay for it. If the buses or trains offered this rate (which is a fairly standard rate), then I'm sure there would be no shortage of staff willing to miss out on a nice trip to the shops.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is only a limited (about 9 each way) service between London and Brighton because of the high costs to run a service. I highly doubt much, if any, money is made on this service. And in the past was before there was a lot more union interference, unions would strike if you force staff to work Boxing Day. Weekends and Bank Holidays are totally different to Boxing Day too.

Should bare in mind the amount of staff required to run a service. Train Crew, station staff, cleaners, depot staff, signallers, network rail response staff and transport police are some of the staff what are needed, supplying these isn't cheap.

Don' talk out of your fanny about things you know nothing about, if Southern wished to run a service on Christmas Day let alone Boxing Day then staff are contractually obliged to work albeit for triple time. If the club came to an agreement to pay the costs for a railway service on Boxing Day then one would be running, staffing isn't an issue as long as contracted terms are met and staff can't refuse to work on the day. It is all down to the club paying Network Rail and Southern the money needed to run an acceptable level of service.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don' talk out of your fanny about things you know nothing about, if Southern wished to run a service on Christmas Day let alone Boxing Day then staff are contractually obliged to work albeit for triple time. If the club came to an agreement to pay the costs for a railway service on Boxing Day then one would be running, staffing isn't an issue as long as contracted terms are met and staff can't refuse to work on the day. It is all down to the club paying Network Rail and Southern the money needed to run an acceptable level of service.
Ernest, can you remember when Boxing Day trains last ran along the East and West coastway lines?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sure it was not to many years ago that BR, as it was, ran a service on Boxing Day, although not even as much as a Sunday service it was at least a service.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A survey was done during the very first few games last season and the figure came out near 80%. This was based on how people got to the Amex, rather than how they got to Brighton, so all P&R were counted as using public transport. The information was used as part of the additional planning app, which is where i read the details etc. Compared to surveys done at other clubs i recall we were at least double most other clubs in this respect.

But in the context of this thread P&R is not public transport and could run on Boxing Day so it cannot be included in your 80%. How many P&R places are there out of interest? And how many people use P&R as just 'ride'?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just sent an e mail to FL asking how they expect fans to get to the game and pointing out that is common knowledge that we only got permission to build The Amex because of our agreement to use public transport. Will print the reply if I get one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But in the context of this thread P&R is not public transport and could run on Boxing Day so it cannot be included in your 80%. How many P&R places are there out of interest? And how many people use P&R as just 'ride'?

But the opening post of this thread is pointing out that there will supposedly NOT be P&R buses on Boxing Day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here