Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non 3pm Sat KO's - grumble alert!

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
As a follower of the fortunes of Newport County (currently pushing to win the Conference), I can report that only 13 of this season's league games are scheduled for a 3pm Saturday kick-off. And this is likely to be reduced as the season goes on and TV interest in promotion issues intensifies. It irritates County supporters as much as it irritates us.

What is your link to Newport County, Lord B? For myself, its my father in law's team... he's 86, and can still quote their 1938-39 promotion side off by heart. We went with him to Wembley in May to see them play York City - good day out, shame about the result. Im hoping they get back into the FL whilst my father in law is still around to see them....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What is your link to Newport County, Lord B? For myself, its my father in law's team... he's 86, and can still quote their 1938-39 promotion side off by heart. We went with him to Wembley in May to see them play York City - good day out, shame about the result. Im hoping they get back into the FL whilst my father in law is still around to see them....

Wow 14 posts in 8 years! Sorry, just observed it.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Wow 14 posts in 8 years! Sorry, just observed it.

Yes.... do I have to explain this every time? In short: Regular poster up until about 2002 ish when the NSC changed its format or something. Found that my PC browser did not work properly for reasons still unknown to me. Tried re registering the same name again in 2004, but could not get NSC to work on my old PC... had a few fruitless emails with Bozza around 2005 or 2006 ish about this. In the end I gave up and lived without NSC. Then, a few months ago, with a new whizzy PC, thought - "I wonder if I can get onto NSC now"..... and here I am. All 14 posts (now 16), are from the past two or three weeks.

Im back - no idea why my old browser didnt work properly - and Bozza ( I think it was) didnt know either. ANyway - it seems to be a badge of honour, the number of posts ... so Id better get posting regular crap every day to get mself up to scratch ;-)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So that it can finish earlier for the World Cup I presume, therefore not helping.

No, specifically voted for by the clubs so they can have one more Saturday fixture.

The first team I ever watched. We lived within walking distance of Somerton Park and I went regularly with my dad, my mate Jeff Thomas (who later played for the County) and his dad, Jack. This was in the late fifties / early sixties, when Billy Lucas was manager and players like Alf Sherwood, Ken Hollyman, Len Weare, Ray Wilcox, Rock Hudson (who played once for the Albion), Harry Harris and Bryn Jones were the heroes.

I too was at Wembley in May and, like your father in law, I'm eagerly anticipating the climax of the current season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
and if we ever reach the premiership it will be worse.3 on a saturday wont be the norm then.
On the contrary, 3 on a saturday will be the norm, question is when will the other 16 games be played!!!!

Hoping that if Newcastle beat us, and Blackburn beat Bristol City in the cup, the Tuesday away v Bristol City is moved to Saturday 26th at 3pm, as the Blackburn game on that date gets moved to midweek.

Might be a fool's hope, and of course we'll beat Newcastle anyway.

So when will the home game against blackburn be played????

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On the contrary, 3 on a saturday will be the norm, question is when will the other 16 games be played!!!!

So when will the home game against blackburn be played????

It'll be midweeked if Blackburn beat Bristol City, or if we beat Newcastle. That is unavoidable.

The point is that if we lose, but Blackburn win, Bristol and us are both free on that date, and it's theoretically possible that the midweek away fixture could be moved to that Saturday.

Is that the same Harry Harris who was at Portsmouth a traditional wing half.
That's the one. He was bought by Pompey from Newport County in 1958, after playing 156 games for County. He then stayed at Portsmouth until 1970, playing 380 games for them, before returning on loan to Newport for another 16 games.

I remember him as an inside forward and a regular goalscorer. I still have his autograph.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it just me, or does moaning about International breaks ruining the fixtures make us look decidedly small time.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately, it is a way of life for teams in the top 2 divisions

Except, every other team is shown AWAY on Sky as well. They love the Amex TOO much!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here