Nokia n900

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've found the Brighton site performs very oddly on it, unlike pretty much any other site with video embedded.

Have you actually got that site to play a video ?

And IPlayer really doesn't work on it as yet. You'll have to wait for the BBC to bring out an app like they did for the other Nokias. As the phone is very new and has an operating system like no other, you mabye be waiting a while.

I'm not aware of Sky being available on it either, yet.

Having said that :) - I quite like it, but it does have a few issues which they can hopefully fix.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've found the Brighton site performs very oddly on it, unlike pretty much any other site with video embedded.

Have you actually got that site to play a video ?

And IPlayer really doesn't work on it as yet.

mmm strange? I tested iplayer yeasterday by watching 20 minutes of the incredables and Eastenders and videos on the seagulls player worked fine albeit with a little bit of a delay. This was through wifi though. I watched the Exeter norwich highlights on the train this morning and it streamed well.

The only one that's a little dodgy is itvplayer, it takes a good 40 seconds to load! Maybe try fiddling with your settings?

edit; I've not tried Skyplayer but i'm led to believe it works.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like it comes in third behind iPhone and HTC Hero. Sounds good though.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Sounds like it comes in third behind iPhone and HTC Hero. Sounds good though.

Not a huge fans of htc phones and although the iphone has comparable specs to the n900 (600mhz processor/256 ram) the 3mp camera put me off.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
mmm strange? I tested iplayer yeasterday by watching 20 minutes of the incredables and Eastenders and videos on the seagulls player worked fine albeit with a little bit of a delay. This was through wifi though. I watched the Exeter norwich highlights on the train this morning and it streamed well.

The only one that's a little dodgy is itvplayer, it takes a good 40 seconds to load! Maybe try fiddling with your settings?

edit; I've not tried Skyplayer but i'm led to believe it works.

Sky Player is a windows application, Sky Mobile is probably what you are thinking about. I think it's usually bought through the service provider (e.g. Vodaphone) and they don't appear to offer it.

I'll try again with the Seagulls site.

Firefox is available for it, I downloaded it - but the current browser is better in my opinion.

Iplayer doesn't work as well as it could because the site isn't optimised to supply content to the phone (I think)

The BBC have been writing Nokia IPlayer applications in the past, I had it on an old Nokia.

Once something like becomes available, I'd imagine it will p*ss all over the IPhone and the HTC Hero in terms of that at least.

So we are only really talking about software issues, not general performance.

I'm not that worried because I not really into watching tiny videos on a phone, it's got a great browser and multi-tasks.

What I really like about it is the fact it comes with a stylus, built in AND virtual keyboard.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Sky Player is a windows application, Sky Mobile is probably what you are thinking about. I think it's usually bought through the service provider (e.g. Vodaphone) and they don't appear to offer it.

I'll try again with the Seagulls site.

Firefox is available for it, I downloaded it - but the current browser is better in my opinion.

Iplayer doesn't work as well as it could because the site isn't optimised to supply content to the phone (I think)

The BBC have been writing Nokia IPlayer applications in the past, I had it on an old Nokia.

Once something like becomes available, I'd imagine it will p*ss all over the IPhone and the HTC Hero in terms of that at least.

So we are only really talking about software issues, not general performance.

I'm not that worried because I not really into watching tiny videos on a phone, it's got a great browser and multi-tasks.

What I really like about it is the fact it comes with a stylus, built in AND virtual keyboard.

I've just tried to access videos on the club website on the 3g network and it doesn't work! Perhaps it only works through WIFI?
You're right about watching videos on a tiny screen though, hardly ideal but another great feature is the tv out.

I'm sure it has it's limitations but i'm fairly impressed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just tried to access videos on the club website on the 3g network and it doesn't work! Perhaps it only works through WIFI?
You're right about watching videos on a tiny screen though, hardly ideal but another great feature is the tv out.

I'm sure it has it's limitations but i'm fairly impressed.

I tried to access the videos over WiFi with no success, I'm glad you've managed so keep trying !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not a huge fans of htc phones and although the iphone has comparable specs to the n900 (600mhz processor/256 ram) the 3mp camera put me off.

HTC phones on Windows Mobile are rubbish, whereas Android 2.0 is quality.

Funnily enough, my old iPhone's 3mp camera kicks the crap out of my current HTC's 5mp one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well I finally got it doing what I really wanted it for. Listening to the commentary after the usual issues of looging into the site with it. Shame you can't do that with an i-phone but that's what happens when you buy something from the Microsoft of the mobile phone industry.

Croydon if you haven't already get the operating system update, they've fixed a few annoying bugs.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Far too chunky.

I'd never get that in my pocket.

Rivals should be looking at making handsets that are THINNER than the iPhone, not even fatter

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Well I finally got it doing what I really wanted it for. Listening to the commentary after the usual issues of looging into the site with it. Shame you can't do that with an i-phone but that's what happens when you buy something from the Microsoft of the mobile phone industry.

Croydon if you haven't already get the operating system update, they've fixed a few annoying bugs.

Sounds like you have got your head round the phone a bit quicker than me! Did the update earlier, although i'm not certain what that achieved?!

Got the commentry to work too, started up very quickly and I can confirm that the highlights definetly work! both on wifi and 3g! Very impressed.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Far too chunky.

I'd never get that in my pocket.

Rivals should be looking at making handsets that are THINNER than the iPhone, not even fatter

I take your point, I was almost put off by it's size but I think it's full flash compatability and superior camera swung it for me. Its a proper little power house.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm sure it is very impressive but for me whilst I want my phone to be capable of doing as much as possible I don't want that to be in favour of sacrificing size, weight and style. My phone does everything I need very competently, looks the business and slips neatly into my pocket almost unnoticeable.

I'm a fan of Nokia and like the feature list for this handset but the problem is that unless you urgently need all of its many functions you're not going to give up precious pocket space to it when so many slimmer and better fitting handsets are available.

I also think time is running out for the Symbian OS and I can't imagine it will be too long before there's just a 3 way battle between Apple, MS and Android to run the software on phones

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I also think time is running out for the Symbian OS and I can't imagine it will be too long before there's just a 3 way battle between Apple, MS and Android to run the software on phones

It doesn't run Symbian, it uses Maemo a cut down variant of Linux.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here