Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Vicente = Points

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Think including last season so perhaps unfair,it looks better if he does not play,maybe the others feel overawed and not able to play their natural game,when he is on the pitch..

Or.. it could be that the teams that we played with Vicente in the squad were better than those when he wasn't in the squad....

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We had a very poor run with him in the side at the end of last season, he is a very good player and improves us but his fitness is a concern. Why don't we use him as a super sub and play him for the last 30 minutes every game just to rip apart a tiring defence

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We had a very poor run with him in the side at the end of last season, he is a very good player and improves us but his fitness is a concern. Why don't we use him as a super sub and play him for the last 30 minutes every game just to rip apart a tiring defence

Been thinking this for a while now - use him as an impact sub when teams are tiring and would also help to protect him a bit from the rough and tumble of this division

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
At times I think some of our players are too in awe of him and too intent in passing to him rather than playing their natural game - even Buckley was the biggest culprit in this last season

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Kumquat; said:
We only beat Derby last season as a result of him coming on. Funny people forget that. It's an interesting stat and has been discussed before. If he'd come on earlier I think wed have beaten Cardiff last week too.
er He STARTED v Derby & KLL was MoM...funny people forget that.. Were you even there? They were both sensational. V had put us 1 up at Blackpool 3 days earlier before we leaked 3, hardly not pulling his weight

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do feel when Vicente plays we become more one dimensional. Last season I sometimes felt the other players were slightly in awe and its like 'get Vicente on the ball at every opportunity', rather than what is the best option. Of course Vicente IS a genius on the ball and should always be one of the first names on the team sheet. Against Chelsea this did seem to be much better with Bruno and Buckley getting more of the ball.

One of the players who seems to benefit most from Vicente is Ashley Barnes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As others have said the players need to keep the variety going when Vicente plays, we do seem to try and put everything through him when he's on the pitch and great though he is it becomes easier for other teams to defend against us as they know exactly how we will attack. Whether they can stop him running through them and playing the killer ball is another matter. We need to try and play our normal game when he is playing and that does seem to be a problem, coming on as a sub works better than playing him from the off.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What would be better: 10 or so games where he starts or 30 or so where he's a sub? based on results with him in the side from the start I know how I'd play him

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
That we perform better without Vicente in the team... Simples really when you read the post. nd the stats back it up :drool:

I've made this point a few times before. If you've got a player who is totally fit, and you're playing whenever possible, such stats mean something. When you've got a player who you only play against tougher opposition (against whom we're less likely to get points) and routinely rest against weaker opposition (when we're more likely to get points), what do you think the stats tell you then?

Here's a hint: if your answer is anything other than "we only play him against stronger teams" or "we don't play him against weaker teams", you've got it wrong!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Gareth Bale was a curse on Spurs for about his first 30 games - not a win when he was in the team. Check his status out now. Coincidental / perhaps an element of pressure... Gus will work it out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The him playing vs win ratio is meaningless unless you consider who else was in the team and how strong the opponents were

Then factor in his actual playing minute ie when he came on/left the field and then you might be near to getting a meaningful statistic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The him playing vs win ratio is meaningless unless you consider who else was in the team and how strong the opponents were

Then factor in his actual playing minute ie when he came on/left the field and then you might be near to getting a meaningful statistic.

Alternatively just watch him play. It doesn't take a football genius to work out he is rather talented and attack minded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here