Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No VAR

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It was great at the game today. Goal goes in, quick glance at the lino, continue to celebrate. No slide rules, no spirit level and no spliff bring passed round Stockley park with the random decision wheel being spun in the background.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
IMG-20240106-WA0003.jpg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
To satisfy both VAR lovers and haters, the obvious thing is to restrict the time taken in making a decision. It has been mooted many, many times, and if (say) a maximum of 30 seconds/1 minute was allowed to spot a glaring error was allowed, that would be just about acceptable.
No need for this forensic-style several minutes of looking for 'something' - that's what makes it crap.
To satisfy (this) VAR hater(s) - f*** it off until the to be developed dedicated technology and rules catch up with a product DOMINATED by TV audiences at the expense of the in-stadium crowd.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
To satisfy both VAR lovers and haters, the obvious thing is to restrict the time taken in making a decision. It has been mooted many, many times, and if (say) a maximum of 30 seconds/1 minute was allowed to spot a glaring error was allowed, that would be just about acceptable.
No need for this forensic-style several minutes of looking for 'something' - that's what makes it crap.
If it takes more than 30 secs to 1 min to try and spot anything just keep to the original on field decision. It would be the same for all involved

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
1) hit the shoulder first so not handball.
2) you would. The past is full of incidents like that where events have been replayed over and over and referees complained about and video replays insisted on to help
3) you were ok with the amount of big 6 bias? The massive errors gifting points to big teams? VAR should stop this, but in it's current implementation it doesn't. It can be fixed. It would keep spontaneous fun at stadiums and remove glaring errors.
Interested to know how you think it can be fixed to maintain spontaneous goal celebrations? ANY delay ruins this.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Interested to know how you think it can be fixed to maintain spontaneous goal celebrations? ANY delay ruins this.
It should be based on a quick 30s or so set of replays in the booth. It should just check if anything is massively amiss (a player obviously offside or a dive for a penalty or a player punching a ball for example), nothing forensic.
That way it would be similar to a slightly delayed offside call by a linesman. People don't complain that ruins spontaneous goal celebrations so I don't see how VAR done right would either.

I think the big issue with var is that they have tried to get everything correct from the most tiny zoom-in and slow mo. That takes time, and we don't really need that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People still celebrate goals. The delay is in the restart after the goal is scored and the celebration has died down (and that results in a secondary celebration after a nervy period - either from the ream that scored and had the goal confirmed, or the one that conceded to see it ruled out).

It doesn't stop them celebrating. It's something fans have said it does since it came in, but in truth it doesn't. Not to any meaningful degree. One or two drunk/angry fans may stay seated like a petulant child, but the masses still jump up and cheer. They've always done it even when a whistle has gone and play is stopped and the striker decides to just take the shot even though everyone has stopped, people still celebrated. They still celebrate even after previous VAR denials.

Most of the time people have a) grown accustomed to VAR checks, celebrate the goal while noting there was that close offside call, or it might have hit the hand, or they don't even think about it until there is a delay in the restart (and then they celebrate again when the referee signals for kick off).

(EDIT: To be clear, this isn't intended as a defence of VAR, this is simply about the idea that VAR has ruined goal celebrations. It hasn't).

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Watched three games today without VAR. All of them better for it.
If we could be rid of it, I would be happy, but it's very unlikely to be binned. The thing is, it CAN be made better by setting that time limit for reviews - as said, maybe 30 seconds/a minute to rule out obvious errors.
All these minutes wasted looking for an error that the human eye is not going to spot is pointless and ruining the flow of the game, let alone the enjoyment of the fans.
Why can't the powers that be at least trial it that way, and see how it goes?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
People still celebrate goals. The delay is in the restart after the goal is scored and the celebration has died down (and that results in a secondary celebration after a nervy period - either from the ream that scored and had the goal confirmed, or the one that conceded to see it ruled out).

It doesn't stop them celebrating. It's something fans have said it does since it came in, but in truth it doesn't. Not to any meaningful degree. One or two drunk/angry fans may stay seated like a petulant child, but the masses still jump up and cheer. They've always done it even when a whistle has gone and play is stopped and the striker decides to just take the shot even though everyone has stopped, people still celebrated. They still celebrate even after previous VAR denials.

Most of the time people have a) grown accustomed to VAR checks, celebrate the goal while noting there was that close offside call, or it might have hit the hand, or they don't even think about it until there is a delay in the restart (and then they celebrate again when the referee signals for kick off).

(EDIT: To be clear, this isn't intended as a defence of VAR, this is simply about the idea that VAR has ruined goal celebrations. It hasn't).
IT f***ing HAS

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What penalty should we have had? The even more ridiculous than the one against us?

Btw VAR would have gone with the ref on either decision so it wouldn't have changed anything.
Agree with that but also think you never know with VAR these days so who knows what they’d have done!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we could be rid of it, I would be happy, but it's very unlikely to be binned. The thing is, it CAN be made better by setting that time limit for reviews - as said, maybe 30 seconds/a minute to rule out obvious errors.
All these minutes wasted looking for an error that the human eye is not going to spot is pointless and ruining the flow of the game, let alone the enjoyment of the fans.
Why can't the powers that be at least trial it that way, and see how it goes?
But why? Surely if a vast majority hates it, then it must be binned. Most people posting on this thread think football is better without VAR. How can anyone running football simply ignore this? If VAR is so hated by supporters (as this thread attests) then persisting with it is as perverse as requiring footballers to run around with an ostrich feather hanging out of their arse.

So how are the 'football better without VAR' majority planning to achieve their hopes and dreams? Or are they simply going to grumble and do nothing?

With apologies, my autistic take is that VAR is very effective at resolving incorrect decisions. There are fewer incorrect key decisions now (goals, sendings off) than before. My preference therefore is keep tweaking VAR till it is optimal. However I can't ignore that I am in a minority, so I am quite open to the apparent majority view that the loss of spontaneity is more important than getting a decision correct, and that VAR has to go.

But those who oppose VAR will need to do more than sing' f*** VAR' every time a VAR rules against your interests if they are serious about it being binned. What about boycotting matches? Or waving 'down with VAR' banners? Or going on marches?

Or are people in fact not actually that bothered, and just like piling into every new 'f*** VAR' thread every month for a bit of a laugh? I honestly don't know. If so it seems a bit niche and, to me, difficult to understand, especially if the prevailing view, paradoxically, is that VAR is here to stay. I suppose issues that are not important are quite good for allowing people to vent without consequence. Sorry....this is one of those that I simply can't unpack. I need to know if I need to do something or not. It's been a long day.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
But why? Surely if a vast majority hates it, then it must be binned. Most people posting on this thread think football is better without VAR. How can anyone running football simply ignore this? If VAR is so hated by supporters (as this thread attests) then persisting with it is as perverse as requiring footballers to run around with an ostrich feather hanging out of their arse.

So how are the 'football better without VAR' majority planning to achieve their hopes and dreams? Or are they simply going to grumble and do nothing?

With apologies, my autistic take is that VAR is very effective at resolving incorrect decisions. There are fewer incorrect key decisions now (goals, sendings off) than before. My preference therefore is keep tweaking VAR till it is optimal. However I can't ignore that I am in a minority, so I am quite open to the apparent majority view that the loss of spontaneity is more important than getting a decision correct, and that VAR has to go.

But those who oppose VAR will need to do more than sing' f*** VAR' every time a VAR rules against your interests if they are serious about it being binned. What about boycotting matches? Or waving 'down with VAR' banners? Or going on marches?

Or are people in fact not actually that bothered, and just like piling into every new 'f*** VAR' thread every month for a bit of a laugh? I honestly don't know. If so it seems a bit niche and, to me, difficult to understand, especially if the prevailing view, paradoxically, is that VAR is here to stay. I suppose issues that are not important are quite good for allowing people to vent without consequence. Sorry....this is one of those that I simply can't unpack. I need to know if I need to do something or not. It's been a long day.
I don't think there's anything that VAR haters 'can' do...other than boycott games, and that's not going to happen. The best outcome is to re-evaluate the power it wields and restrict it (as said previously) to a far reduced time-frame.
That way, surely only the most basic of errors will be spotted, rather than errant toenails, quiffs or a bit of protruding snot.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Surely it’s about much/how wildly you celebrate. Yes, people still ‘celebrate’ but I know for a fact some of my celebrations are far more curbed than pre-VAR. Any goal that looks to have an offside in the build up or some indiscretion then I limit my celebration - it isn’t a pure joyous moment, it becomes sheckled by worry. That is a very different celebration experience to a goal without VAR (or a goal that obviously won’t be ruled out by VAR).

tronnogull

May 17, 2010

It has for me, and most anyone I talk with about this...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here