Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

no smoking law: the depth of pettiness

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
now i dont really mind so much the new legislation, particularly regarding not smoking in work premises. let face it, how many could any way as a matter of company policy. but what is with all this signage crap? i notice church i walk past has had put up little signs. when did you ever see anone smoking in or around a church? and then on every building entrance there is a stupid little sign. not only that, but ive just read that you even have to have signs at the entrance to different businesses within the same building. :tosser:

have you ever seen a "do not steal" sign? why all this crap for this law?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
nanny state.

That and the fact that theft is no longer a crime. Unlike speeding, smoking or being a taxpaying law-abiding citizen

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
now i dont really mind so much the new legislation, particularly regarding not smoking in work premises. let face it, how many could any way as a matter of company policy. but what is with all this signage crap? i notice church i walk past has had put up little signs. when did you ever see anone smoking in or around a church? and then on every building entrance there is a stupid little sign. not only that, but ive just read that you even have to have signs at the entrance to different businesses within the same building. :tosser:

have you ever seen a "do not steal" sign? why all this crap for this law?

The regulations are quite draconian at the moment to prevent people using the "oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you couldn;t smoke here" excuse. Would expect that some of these would be relaxed over the course of time.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The signs will gradually disappear, I think it is way OTT at present tho.

I drive a company car and even though I am the only one who drives it, and I also pay the extra tax to use it privately I still got issued with a sticker, I don't smoke anymore but still think this is unneccessary.

I often see cabbies having a smoke on the rank, does this law mean that, if they are spotted, some fag patrol officer can fine them?, are they going to be able to ask anyone smoking in a car whether it is a shared vehicle??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can see loads of confrontations with drunken chavs on railway platforms and other places where some poor employee is going to be expected to enforce these ridiculously over the top restrictions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I got an e-mail today saying the I can't smoke in my car. I don't smoke so I don't care , but they are sending me signs for the car. "It will be the responsibility of the driver to display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in a prominent and safe position". Will it f***, I'll look like a right jobsworth twat putting no smoking signs in my car

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can see loads of confrontations with drunken chavs on railway platforms and other places where some poor employee is going to be expected to enforce these ridiculously over the top restrictions.

The difference is, by smoking, you are affecting other's health around you through passive smoking.

If you sit and have a pint in a pub, you are not damaging other people's health and that is why smoking in public places is going to be against the law.

I smoked for 16 years until last year so I can see both sides of the argument.

Yes, I agree it is an inconvenience having to find a place to smoke, but it's not as inconvenient as the child of the non smoker who is diagnosed with chest problems, or with the person who has never smoked but has been diagnosed with cancer.

Also, personally, I'm glad the ban is being introduced. At least when I go to a pub in future, I won't have to wash my clothes 100 times to remove smell of stale tobacco!

The difference is, by smoking, you are affecting other's health around you through passive smoking.

If you sit and have a pint in a pub, you are not damaging other people's health and that is why smoking in public places is going to be against the law.

I smoked for 16 years until last year so I can see both sides of the argument.

Yes, I agree it is an inconvenience having to find a place to smoke, but it's not as inconvenient as the child of the non smoker who is diagnosed with chest problems, or with the person who has never smoked but has been diagnosed with cancer.

Also, personally, I'm glad the ban is being introduced. At least when I go to a pub in future, I won't have to wash my clothes 100 times to remove smell of stale tobacco!

I think Icy Gull just meant that the drunken Chavs will be smoking on the platforms! :lolol:

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
I got an e-mail today saying the I can't smoke in my car. I don't smoke so I don't care , but they are sending me signs for the car. "It will be the responsibility of the driver to display a no-smoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in a prominent and safe position". Will it f***, I'll look like a right jobsworth twat putting no smoking signs in my car

I got one too...apparently if it is a company car or your own car but you do more business miles that personal miles you have to display sign... Mine has gone straight in the glove compartment.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Generally with a decent non bio at 30 degrees it should be just the once.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I got one too...apparently if it is a company car or your own car but you do more business miles that personal miles you have to display sign... Mine has gone straight in the glove compartment.

Does that include commuting TO work? I thought this legislation was supposed to be simple....

:ban:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There was a bloke on the tv news tonight, banging on about the fact that smoking should still be allowed in pubs and that the staff should accept that when they take a job there...I don't smoke myself and really don't care if people want to smoke themselves to death as it is their choice, however that bloke is a poor advert for the pro-smoking lobby, how about the fact that the employer of those bar staff who serve him his pint are bound to provide a safe workplace...how there could be an exemption from the carcinogens in tobacco smoke is a mystery to me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
let face it, how many could any way as a matter of company policy. but what is with all this signage crap? i notice church i walk past has had put up little signs. when did you ever see anone smoking in or around a church?

Most weeks especially when we lay on the free meal for the homeless on a Monday night.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
were i work we havent got the signs up, the owner is a smoker, only time he smokes is when he road tests car and stinks them out, ive tried telling him but nothing, i will laugh if he gets caught out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here