Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No red card

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball"

Plenty of leeway there. You can raise your arms in aggression without using brutality or excessive force.

That can't be right, I've often heard MOTD pundits such as Mark 'Lawro' Lawrensen say "he's raised his arms so it has to be red", which must be true.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
sheebo how can you say the refs haven't been rubbish this season when they have

Well I mean more 'big decisions' Mark. The ones against us that spring to mind are all the Burnley ones to an extent, the Saints away one (don't think this cost us points though), Reading ones - especially CMS getting wiped out when clean through - should have been a pen and red, and last nights failure to send off Eustace for raising his hands and slapping our player.

We've had a few go for us i'm sure but these are the wrongs that stick in the mind...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The ref probably saw Barnes' provocation, as well as his absurd over-reaction. I reckon if Eustace had gone Barnes would have been booked, at least. He was lucky not to be booked when he gave away the penalty.

None of which changes the laws of the game which are fairly clearon raising your hands and striking the opponent.

What I wondered was ... what was the yellow for? Presumably for the kicking and pulling back that the free-kick was given for, as "striking an opponent" is simply NOT a yellow.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Eustace should have been sent off, was voilent conduct and enough for Barnes to fall over. With him studding someone he was unlucky to have studded him (it wasn't a malicious tackle) but lucky to not be sent off for it

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
How the hell has this turned into Barnes' fault!??? From the West Upper you could clearly see Eustace smack him in the face with the palm of his hand, which is a red card in the first minute as it is in the 90th regardless of the player and their reaction. The ref bottled it though because it was so early in the game. Complete polar opposite to the Burnley ref at home!!

Reffing standards have been awful most of the season, and I do think we have a reputation now that immediately makes refs cautious of us as a side and maybe 50/50's go to the opposition.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I thought the ref had a really good game last night. To begin with I thought Eustace should have been sent off, but there is leeway in the rules. It wasn't particularly violent it was just handbags.

Also how can we complain about Eustace not being sent off when Barnes should have been sent off for leaving a nice imprint of his boots on a Watford players stomach?

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
And El Abd gets elbowed in the face right in front of the linesman and Watford get a free kick. Quality

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How?

Barnes was in possesion, got grabbed round the back, slapped/punched on the back first, swung round and slapped in the face.

As I said from my view - it just look like he had been shot by a sniper - I'm willing to change my opinion once I see it from a different view of course.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just before the incident Barnes had left a foot in when challenging Eustace.

Again, makes no difference. There was an element of 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' about the initial confrontation but hitting an opponent in the face is a straight red, even if it's retaliation. Yellow for one, red for the other.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
maybe coz barnes fell like he was an extra in platoon. Embarrassing thought the ref had a good night could have been harsher on watford time wasting. Could easily of sent El Abd off in the second half as well for kicking out... pretty consistant i thought.

Perhaps he picked it up on the training field from one of our foreign players? ElAbd did exactly the same at Wednesday last year! If they do that sort of thing, players should be sent off for "bringing the game into disrepute".

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
barnes seems to be making more of a habit than usual this season.
that is the thing that most bugs me about him, the sight if him on his knees /on the floor, with his arms in the air, when would clearly have a good chance of getting up and winning the ball back

100% Agree. Really don't like this from Barnes. Stay on your feet and play to the whistle! He spent the whole game diving to the ground at the slightest bit of contact. :censored::rant: Quite a few times (and rightly so) the ref played on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought the ref had a really good game last night. To begin with I thought Eustace should have been sent off, but there is leeway in the rules. It wasn't particularly violent it was just handbags.

Also how can we complain about Eustace not being sent off when Barnes should have been sent off for leaving a nice imprint of his boots on a Watford players stomach?

also credit the watford player for getting straight back up and not rolling around in agony

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
100% Agree. Really don't like this from Barnes. Stay on your feet and play to the whistle! He spent the whole game diving to the ground at the slightest bit of contact. :censored::rant: Quite a few times (and rightly so) the ref played on.

i agree with you re Barnes playing on and not waving his arms around..its not as if ref is going to change his mind...but then even players like Roberts of Reading was dong that most of the game last week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here