Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No red card

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How on earth did John Eustace stay on after hitting Barnes in the face right in front of the referee? The inconsistency is unbelievable.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
maybe coz barnes fell like he was an extra in platoon. Embarrassing thought the ref had a good night could have been harsher on watford time wasting. Could easily of sent El Abd off in the second half as well for kicking out... pretty consistant i thought.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He slapped him round the face. Regardless of Barnes' reaction, that's a straight red in any game.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
stange how people see different things and proves what a hard job the ref actually has. I thought he raised his arm and pushed his chest? I didnt see a strike - of course i could be wrong.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The ref probably saw Barnes' provocation, as well as his absurd over-reaction. I reckon if Eustace had gone Barnes would have been booked, at least. He was lucky not to be booked when he gave away the penalty.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Probably the same as how Barnes stayed on when he left his foot in on a Watfords player stomach/bollocks in the second half.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The ref probably saw Barnes' provocation, as well as his absurd over-reaction. I reckon if Eustace had gone Barnes would have been booked, at least. He was lucky not to be booked when he gave away the penalty.

Probably the same as how Barnes stayed on when he left his foot in on a Watfords player stomach/bollocks in the second half.

:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
stange how people see different things and proves what a hard job the ref actually has. I thought he raised his arm and pushed his chest? I didnt see a strike - of course i could be wrong.

chest or face, it was still a raised arm in aggression. i thought its a straight red for violent conduct. i didnt know there was leeway in the rules for the ref to give a yellow. both the other points raised, El abd and Barnes, where debatable as unintentional. dont think he had a bad game a few incidents apart (didnt look like a penalty to me), but for the hands raised he simply ignored the rules of the game.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
maybe coz barnes fell like he was an extra in platoon. Embarrassing thought the ref had a good night could have been harsher on watford time wasting. Could easily of sent El Abd off in the second half as well for kicking out... pretty consistant i thought.

From the North I thought that Barnes had been shot by a sniper in the stands.

Comedy

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It looked to me like he didn't even make contact, or like it was a flick on the nose at worst. Barnes was going down easily all through the game, and I thought the yellow card was enough. I thought the ref had a good game. I also thought Dicker as lucky to stay on the pitch, diving in with studs showing in the second half.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It looked to me like he didn't even make contact, or like it was a flick on the nose at worst. Barnes was going down easily all through the game, and I thought the yellow card was enough. I thought the ref had a good game. I also thought Dicker as lucky to stay on the pitch, diving in with studs showing in the second half.

barnes seems to be making more of a habit than usual this season.
that is the thing that most bugs me about him, the sight if him on his knees /on the floor, with his arms in the air, when would clearly have a good chance of getting up and winning the ball back

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
chest or face, it was still a raised arm in aggression. i thought its a straight red for violent conduct. i didnt know there was leeway in the rules for the ref to give a yellow.

"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball"

Plenty of leeway there. You can raise your arms in aggression without using brutality or excessive force.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agreed. Barnes was very lucky to stay on for that challenge. But two wrongs don't make a right. Eustace should have been sent off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I also thought Dicker as lucky to stay on the pitch, diving in with studs showing in the second half.

But that was a challenge he started in the first half and only just made it, the ref gave him the benefit

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed. Barnes was very lucky to stay on for that challenge. But two wrongs don't make a right. Eustace should have been sent off.

He slapped him round the face. Regardless of Barnes' reaction, that's a straight red in any game.

How on earth did John Eustace stay on after hitting Barnes in the face right in front of the referee? The inconsistency is unbelievable.

You're absolutely spot on with all you say by the way (and yes Barnes reaction was awful but that doesn't matter he still slapped him ffs). Just didn't want you to think you were going crazy, I see a few on this thread who are the top moaners on here last night / this morning so they won't accept that the ref did us on this incident and continue to blame Gus or the team etc...

Refs haven't been so bad this season (bar Burnley) but we've hjad 2 shockers in the last 2 home games that have without doubt cost us points.

Where's the consistency? I refer again to Sparrow's red vs Northampton last yr...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here