Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No player embargo

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If Alan Pardew was such a big fan of Cullip then why didn't he come in for him? Don't forget Cullip was transfer listed for ages and we didn't even get a sniff!

Reading have a better squad than they did last season and they did ok then so I don't really think they can justify spending. Coppell id good at getting the best out of the PLayers he has. I think he'd shit himself if he was given money to spend!

If they want Cullip then fine. But it'll cost them more than they can afford!

What I don't like is the way they posted this on their site! "No Player embargo!" Wow! That's big news for a club a division lower! It's as though they're diliberately trying to rub our noses in it!

God I can't wait until we get Falmer!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Not to mention pardew may do the same at reading or is there an imbargo there,but lets be honest there is a way round everything these days.:lolol:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Trigger said:
So how come Madejski can put an embargo on West Ham buying Reading players?

Is Dick Knight thick or someting?

angry.gif
No, He doesn't mind selling our players,cos then he gets more money to keep the club afloat/put into the Falmer campaign.That's why he was happy to let Coppell go,cos he knew he could get compensation.

Don Tmatter said:
That's why he was happy to let Coppell go,cos he knew he could get compensation.

Oh, for fucks sake how many more times.......................

IF DK had been happy to let Coppell go he would not have spent the last fortnight very publically begging him to stay.........................

Compensation only became an issue once Coppell had made his mind up that he was going to Reading.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
dwayne said:
not Knights style is it (the guy can be TOO nice sometimes)

I thought that too, Dwayne. I wonder if DK's integrity is slightly anachronistic in football, and may not be in the best interests of the club. A knotty moral dilemma - I want what's best for the club at all times, but sometimes that means they have to act like shits. What if we go after Dowie, for example? Picking the best bits from a club on its knees is hardly morally pure, but it's what everybody else would do (and have done already in the case of their players).

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Ah, but Storer68....
once SC had said he wanted to think things over, DK would have had doubts about Coppell's loyalty to us, but nevertheless obviously publicly stated that he had been trying to persuade SC to stay; DK would not want to give the impression that he was happy for Coppell to leave for two reasons - (a) if SC decided to stay, it would be a massive publicity coup for Knight, and (b) if DK let him go without a 'public' fight, he would neither have a good hand to play in the subsequent compensation battle, nor would he gain much credibility or support from us, the fans.

I have no doubt that DK wanted SC to stay, but he was also very aware of the state of our finances, and, as such, had to make the decision based on the long term good of the club. Hence he allowed Reading to approach Coppell, knowing that he could secure a substantial fee for his departure providing he played his cards wisely (which he did, securing substantially more than the figures reported in the press, according to DK himself), and, as i'm sure will become apparent imminently, DK already has a potential manager lined up, and has done for some time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here