Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No one individual will ever own the club

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Slate me for a ever so slightly negative thread when we are all celebrating if you like, but what happened to the bit about one single person ever having a controlling interest in Brighton & Hove Albion?

I am delighted we are not having to rely on the scumbag banks to pay for the new Stadium, and thrilled that a bloke who has apparently supported the Albion for years has lent us millions and millions of pounds interest free.
Its bloody great news. Unbelieveable.

But 75% ownership of the club?

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Im not seeing the point here, all clubs have majority share holders dont they....

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Could rise to 90%

"Those loans are due to be repaid in 2023 but Mr Bloom could convert them into shares of the club which would see him control more than 90% of the club."

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Its not a big deal for me anyway, As long as he has our best intrests at heart I dont care.
I Trust the guy.:albion:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yeah, but the reality is that we needed a serious investor to fund our future, and they are hard enough to find, without having to tell them that they would have 49.5% in exchange for funding everything.

That was an honourable approach, but one we were bound to stand down from at some stage. I'm just delighted it's a Brighton fan, from a family of Brighton fans. If we can't trust Tony Bloom to have our best interests at heart, then I just don't know what you could be realistically looking for.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Sorry but I don't think Dick Knight ever saw someone coming along with the offer of a interest free loan of £93 million pounds!!!!!!!!!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Sorry but I don't think Dick Knight ever saw someone coming along with the offer of a interest free loan of £93 million pounds!!!!!!!!!

Yes - that's a little more than the last guy's 56 quid. When you're putting that sort of money in you get to write your own rules.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well I've slated Uncle Dick over the past few months, but am totally comfortable with what has happened tonight.

After all he went though, Dick Knight would never have left the club in the wrong hands.

Bloom can have 100% of it for all I care, because whilst I believed Dick lost the plot on the playing side last season (I was one of the few who absolutely slated him when he sacked Dean Wilkins and brought back Micky Adams) I wholeheartly trust him on off the field issues, and if he says Tony Bloom is the man to take the club forward, then Tony Bloom it is!!

My prediction is Russell Slade will take us to the Championship next season, he'll struggle the following year to fulfil the potential of the squad he'll have, his contract won't be renewed, and step forward a certain Mr Coppell to take us to the holy land.

........ and remember where you heard that first:)

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Well I've slated Uncle Dick over the past few months, but am totally comfortable with what has happened tonight.

After all he went though, Dick Knight would never have left the club in the wrong hands.

Bloom can have 100% of it for all I care, because whilst I believed Dick lost the plot on the playing side last season (I was one of the few who absolutely slated him when he sacked Dean Wilkins and brought back Micky Adams) I wholeheartly trust him on off the field issues, and if he says Tony Bloom is the man to take the club forward, then Tony Bloom it is!!

My prediction is Russell Slade will take us to the Championship next season, he'll struggle the following year to fulfil the potential of the squad he'll have, his contract won't be renewed, and step forward a certain Mr Coppell to take us to the holy land.

........ and remember where you heard that first:)

I agree with most of that except the Coppell part. We all know it will Micky Adams.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have to say I have my reservations but in doing so I am optimnistic that this is the way forward. However only time will tell.

Lush

Mods' Pet
This is a quote from Tim Carder's Clubs in Crisis website ...

"In the New Year the Football Association, through the initiative of David Davies, introduced the existing Board and the popular rival consortium to professional mediators. Against expectations, they secured an agreement for the future of the club in March 1997 that was announced the following month before the final game at the Goldstone Ground. Both sides had compromised to produce an agreement in which no single person was to have a controlling interest in the club."

So is this no longer true?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its not a big deal for me anyway, As long as he has our best intrests at heart I dont care.
I Trust the guy.:albion:

I think a hell of a lot of us thought the same about Archer , Stanley and Bellotti.

that was the whole idea of the "no one person...." idea.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great that we now have funding.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

"In the New Year the Football Association, through the initiative of David Davies, introduced the existing Board and the popular rival consortium to professional mediators. Against expectations, they secured an agreement for the future of the club in March 1997 that was announced the following month before the final game at the Goldstone Ground. Both sides had compromised to produce an agreement in which no single person was to have a controlling interest in the club."

Doesn't sound like it. Although a good principle to have in place I don't think it was ever part of the club consitution?

Anyway, let's face facts. If Bloom was pumping this money in, Falmer would not be built, so it's a case of needs must.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

It was true at the time but circumstances change. New ground funding about to be pulled in all probability by the banks, club losing money at Withdean for a decade, credit crunch squeezing revenues, clubs going to the wall left right and centre. And there's the option to accept a massive bail out from a Brighton fan whose family have supported the club for decades*.

Pragmatism says "grab it". Were there better alternatives - for finance or for a different path?

* I know his Dad slept with the devil but his grandad was their behind Bamber/Mullery.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Great news although I will be more comfortable if and when there is more transparency about TB's source of wealth. The truth is, if someone from outside had offered this sort of money most of us would have bitten their hand off. The fact that it is 'one of us' is great news.
I watched quite a few Albion games from Directors' boxes in the early years of the Knight regime and Tony was often there, at places like Notts County, his mobile glued to his ear placing in-running bets. He is a true fan. PG

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here