Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No national anthem at the Championship play-off final so as not to 'upset Swansea'

Should there be a national anthem at the play-off final, even if the Welsh are there?

• Yes there bloomin' well should be

Votes: 62 89.9%
  • No, there shouldn't be

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure I care particularly. But if the 'norm' is for the national anthem to be played, the nation anthem that effectively covers both countries, then it should be played.

Like the post before said, they played both when Cardiff made the final. So if it's a case of playing both or neither of them, I'd prefer neither.

D

Deleted member 18477

national anthem should be played in community shield, fa cup final & league cup final. not playoff finals. however if this is the norm usually, then yes swansea should indeed f*** off back to wales and take cardiff with them. should never have been allowed into the english football league in the first place:sheep:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did Swansea protest or did some idiot decide that they would be upset?

I guess it avoids a chorus of booing, even though the heir to the throne is the Prince of Wales. I am not sure why they should have the national anthem anyway, unless a Royal member is in attendance and guest of honour.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The League One and League Two playoff finals will have the National Anthem played this season, as usual.

It all adds to the sense of occasion for the fans. its a massive match for the clubs involved, and as its the norm for the NA to be played then it bloody well SHOULD be played for the Championship one as well.

Swansea are guests in OUR country, they are permitted to play in OUR league, so they should shut their welsh gobs and stop being such a bunch of PRICKS over the playing of the anthem, of f*** off back to their own country and play in their own league with the likes of Merthyr Tydfil and Cwmbrysnnydrfwymryyhiwlangwyddnsyn Town, isn't it.

national anthem should be played in community shield, fa cup final & league cup final. not playoff finals. however if this is the norm usually, then yes swansea should indeed f*** off back to wales and take cardiff with them. should never have been allowed into the english football league in the first place:sheep:
Swansea Town (as was) played in the Southern League right from the start of their existence. Like the Albion, they were founder members of the Third Division of The Football League in 1920.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Whilst I think it's a nonsense that they're dropping it just for Swansea I agree with others that it shouldn't be played at all anyway. Save it for the national team and the FA Cup Final, keeping it special.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's the UK National Anthem, which Wales are part of.

trouble is they don't think they are part of the UK, it was not till we moved here that we realised just how anti-English some of them are(we were shocked to see some fat bloke running around Llanelli market with an Australian flag just before we won the egg chasers world cup)
pity of this is I would like Swansea to win the game.
it is being played in the home of English football and if they want to boo the British national anthem then so be it it would show the ignorance I see every day

Well I grant you there ground is now but they also represent Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain from Montgomeryshire, which is in Wales.

And Total Network solutions were definetly from Llansantffraid.

Tricky one this LB.
They are officially called The New Saints of Oswestry Town & Llansantffraid Football Club.

I know Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain well. I did some of my early under-age drinking there ... a VERY long time ago.

The amount of guff and fluff surrounding play-off finals almost makes it appear that finishing third to sixth and getting to a Wembley final is better than finishing first or second and being promoted automatically on merit over the whole season, rather than simply winning three one-off games right at the end.
Which is wrong.
This is what I have always thought, but you didn't mention the fact that the winners are also awarded a CUP - which is pathetic!

Cwmbrysnnydrfwymryyhiwlangwyddnsyn Town
:laugh:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here