Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No national anthem at the Championship play-off final so as not to 'upset Swansea'

Should there be a national anthem at the play-off final, even if the Welsh are there?

• Yes there bloomin' well should be

Votes: 62 89.9%
  • No, there shouldn't be

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There will be no 'God Save the Queen' ahead of the Championship play-off final at Wembley so as not to upset those sensitive souls from Swansea. Even though the British (of which Wales is part) has GSTQ as the national anthem.

Apparently this has also happened (or not happened) when Cardiff have reached the playoff finals too.

Do you think the national anthem should be played and sung regardless?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
its the ENGLISH football league

but i suppose better to not play it than have 30,000 sheep fiddlers drown it out with boos

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course it should or better still give them the chance to rule themselves but receive no financial support from Westminster. Set the own taxes to raise their own revenue and see how they proper or fall.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
English competition. f*** them all. If they don't like it then go and play in the Welsh League.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
was there god save the queen at the fa cup final with cardiff?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not something that overly bothers me, or I suspect most Swansea fans. Play the anthem, perhaps play the Welsh one as well.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
It's not though is it? I thought it was simply THE Football League. (I didn't bother checking before I posted this)

purely because it was the first - in much the same way as our fa is simply called the fa, rather than the english fa or similar

the competition is run by an english organisation, thus it is the english football league.

Dandyman

In London village.
Why are they playing any sort of anthem at a Play Off Final, it's not the FA Cup Final is it ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's a football match, why should there be that pretentious jingle before it anyway? The National anthem can do one.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
More importantly, why do you lot care? It's a f***ing football game.

Unless we're planning on going the way of America and doing it before every game.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't they play the National Anthem and the Welsh National Anthem when Cardiff got to the Cup Final?

If so, why can't they just do the same for the play-off final?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
More importantly, why do you lot care? It's a f***ing football game.

Unless we're planning on going the way of America and doing it before every game.

I'm not sure I care particularly. But if the 'norm' is for the national anthem to be played, the nation anthem that effectively covers both countries, then it should be played.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Surely it shouldn't have anything to do with it being the 'English League' or the 'English FA' seeing as God Save the Queen is the anthem for the UK and the Commonwealth, which Wales are part of? It's only caused a problem because the English national team use it, and probably wrongly. Don't we use 'Land of hope and glory' in the commonwealth games anyway? might be wrong there.

As highlighted already, I don't remember there ever being a national anthem at a playoff final anyway.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The amount of guff and fluff surrounding play-off finals almost makes it appear that finishing third to sixth and getting to a Wembley final is better than finishing first or second and being promoted automatically on merit over the whole season, rather than simply winning three one-off games right at the end.

Which is wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here