Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No more talk of wilkins please!!!!!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
When we lost the Goldstone, it was entirely down to the board, and as the years have past, and we remain without a ground of our own, then I have held the grudge against the board for that. Completely unable to put it behind me until we have our own ground once more.

As much as I love DK for ousting those tossers, I will also be unable to forget or forgive him for his treatment of Wilkins until we have regained the League 1 status we are inevitably about to lose. In fact, I may need to see us back in the top 10 of League 1, with a group of home-grown young talent, with BHA coursing through their veins. Seeing endless wasters come through this club, caring nit a jot for us as they try to regain fitness, or pass through waiting for a better deal, replacing our young talent who were every bit as good as those coming into their places, has been like a dagger through my heart.

This has been a very hard 12 months to deal with. Until we get back to where we were, I for one, will be dishing up plenty of "talk of Wilkins." If you don't want to hear it, then just ignore me, but it's an itch I can't stop scratching just yet.

spot on. this is exactly why this season has been so painful. watching our own home-grown lads replaced by journey men on fatter wages who offer nothing more but care less. they were OURS and they took us to seventh last season.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
The way the club is being run currently we will lose all us truly vocal and passionate fans to the Cucumber sandwich brigade and i am sorry that just ain't football as i know it - and as a loyal fan why should we have to put up with the spin Knight keeps serving up to get his power status.

If the board doesn't act soon on Dick, we won't have a club and who will be moaning then MR Gullable?

Well obviously you will be moaning but then your monaing now so not much would change.

Heres an idea lets get rid of knight.

And then what??????

I would suggest in the current climate getting rid of knight would be a total disaster and much more likely to see the end of the club.

I am sick and tired of all the wankers coming on here saying get rid of knight, calling me and others lickers, when all you tossers can do is bitch and moan, i have not read one decent post from the non lickers which puts forward a vaiable different option.

Knight has worked wonders at this club (not spin), have you seen the diggers at falmer, yes he has made mistakes but i for one believe he always act in what he and the board believes is the clubs best interests. And incidentally he obviously has the support of the board, perhaps now our club needs us more than ever and all we seem to want to do is drive out the one man who cares more for the club ( and has invested more time and money) than anyone else alive !!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
90% hindsight. 10% bullshite. Of course it could have been possible that this season would have been a disaster under Wilkins too.

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
Ha ha ha

ok so were down, knight has made mistakes but is still the guy that came in and saved the club when no one else would, is still the guy that has despite all against us has started building us a new stadium, is still the guy that has managed the club in such a way that we have been in the championship twice in a ground that isnt fit for the conference and is still the guy that has kept this club out of administration made money available for players despite ridiculous overheads that would have sent any other club to the wall years ago.

But despite all this he should go becuase he sacked wilkins
because if wilkins wasnt here we wouldnt be in this mess because after all we did finish a distant seventh last year.

This is utter bullshit total and utter bullshit!!!!!

Look at the top ten in the league

pboro liecester mk dons scunthorpe stockport none of them were in this league last year its much stronger that is a fact.

And i might add souces close to the club will tell you wilkins was a arrogant jumped up little shit who let the top job go to his head who had no respect from the staff directors and the majority of the players (except all the ex youth teamers who he played every week who if this season is anything to go on (lynch excepted)can all f*** off as the obviously played for him but have shown a total disresepect to the club and its loyal fans this season.

u should take your head from out of your arse and get your facts straight

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
u should take your head from out of your arse and get your facts straight

You should put yours up your arse and never take it out again to save us from your drivel, once again no alternative put forward surprise surprise

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
90% hindsight. 10% bullshite. Of course it could have been possible that this season would have been a disaster under Wilkins too.
The only people who are talking about hindsight are those who thought it was a good decision at the time and are now trying to explain away their position.

Another, unrelated, point, it is interesting reading this thread to see how many people still think Knight is still the real power in this club. Maybe he wanted to keep Wilkins and it was the Blooms who wanted to sack him? Who knows? Whilst I don't think Knight's totally blameless I do think it's unfair to lay all the blame for the mismanagement both on and off the field at his door; he has to take the flack as the public face of the club but others are equally culpable.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
I still think it was a good decision to get rid of wilkins so not trying to explain away anything.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
No its been a terrible season, but in the long run wilkins was never gonna be the answer, my opinion is that getting rid of wilkins was the right thing to do but the big mistake was appointing adams.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I cannot understand is why everybody is saying Wilkins was sacked, which he wasnt. It was considered, by whoever the board or DK that he wasnt suitable as the manager in the long term so he was moved from that position and offered another one within the club. If he was so bad that wouldnt have been offered he would have just been sacked as per all previous managers. What ever he did it couldnt have been that bad. Granted it was unlikelty that he would accept the coaches job but at least it was offered to him.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't get this belief that soome hold that because we finished 7th (abeit along way from 6th place and the play-offs) we would do just as well the following season, when there are countless examples throughout football of teams doing well one season and struggling the next. Thats what sometimes happens in football.

This insistance on being told every little detail of the day to day running of the club is childish and pathetic, and if they are not careful, it could mean that those in charge of the club get fed up with it all, and leave, meaning that the club will then go into administration and out of business.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I don't get this belief that soome hold that because we finished 7th (abeit along way from 6th place and the play-offs) we would do just as well the following season, when there are countless examples throughout football of teams doing well one season and struggling the next. Thats what sometimes happens in football.

This insistance on being told every little detail of the day to day running of the club is childish and pathetic, and if they are not careful, it could mean that those in charge of the club get fed up with it all, and leave, meaning that the club will then go into administration and out of business.

Does that mean it's ok that we've been so utterly shit then? I don't think anyone thought the playoffs were guaranteed but with a squad that on paper was/is a lot stronger than last year's, surely it's reasonable to expect better than third from bottom?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately the club will not acknowledge their mistake and that to me is the most worrying thing and the reason we will keep on mentioning the 'W' word. If they can't see they made the wrong decision for the wrong reasons they will probably make it again.

To me, this is the bigger issue. Of course I'm curious as to why Wilkins as 'fired', why each member of the board voted in favour of it, but for me the bigger issue is whether or not the board have learned from their mistake.

Another, unrelated, point, it is interesting reading this thread to see how many people still think Knight is still the real power in this club. Maybe he wanted to keep Wilkins and it was the Blooms who wanted to sack him? Who knows?

In another thread someone posted an argus article from shortly after the incident in which Knight is quoted as saying:
“I didn’t believe he would take us forward in the way I wanted the club taken forward. “I can assure you the same decision would have been made by the board, whether we had been promoted or not.”

North Stand Chat - View Single Post - Did Harty seem a bit unbiased towards Knight?

It was considered, by whoever the board or DK that he wasnt suitable as the manager in the long term so he was moved from that position and offered another one within the club. If he was so bad that wouldnt have been offered he would have just been sacked as per all previous managers.

This is where knowing why he was removed from his position (it's quicker and easier to say 'fired') would help.

Perhaps they thought he was a great benefit to the team, but Mickey wanted to come back so they either removed Martin Hinshelwood and make MA director of football, or remove Wilkins, and Knight didn't want to upset his friend Martin, so it was a case of jobs for the boys.

I've provided a quote above from Knight suggesting he was the driving force behind 'firing' Wilkins. Perhaps one or more members of the board were unhappy or uneasy with the plans, but seeing he was outnumbered insisted he would only vote in favour (giving knight the ability to protect himself with the unanimous vote) if we offered Dean another position.

(Not saying either were the case, just giving them as a scenario in which they 'fire' Wilkins despite him being good at his job, showing that there are explanations)

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't get this belief that some hold that because we finished 7th (albeit along way from 6th place and the play-offs) we would do just as well the following season, when there are countless examples throughout football of teams doing well one season and struggling the next. That's what sometimes happens in football.

True. But it isn't simply that we haven't been successful this year. It's that we haven't been good.

Every little detail? Come off it! People want an explanation for a major event in the management set up, one that backfired spectacularly.

Someone else was wondering about an important step in the building of the stadium. If that is every little detail of the day to day running of the club, then it must be the most uneventful job ever.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In another thread someone posted an argus article from shortly after the incident in which Knight is quoted as saying:
“I didn’t believe he would take us forward in the way I wanted the club taken forward. “I can assure you the same decision would have been made by the board, whether we had been promoted or not.”

The Argus has subsequently quoted that one of the board spoke out against removing Wilkins but when it came to a vote it was unanimous.

As for Knight's quote - from Day 1 Knight has always personalised statements on behalf of the board. He talks about signing players, he talks about selling players etc etc With this tactic he takes the credit when things go well and the blame when they dont. That's fair.

Although there are some on here who would like him to take the blame and none of the credit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As for Knight's quote - from Day 1 Knight has always personalised statements on behalf of the board.

I'm always sceptical of that argument, since this is football and in football, most people, even chairmen, do not talk in the first person. "We won today", "Our defence was awful", "we're playing at home", "we signed this winger".

But when he is quoted talking in the first person, alongside referring to the board, I just think there's no way he means "the club" or "the board" when he says "I".

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Argus has subsequently quoted that one of the board spoke out against removing Wilkins but when it came to a vote it was unanimous.

As for Knight's quote - from Day 1 Knight has always personalised statements on behalf of the board. He talks about signing players, he talks about selling players etc etc With this tactic he takes the credit when things go well and the blame when they dont. That's fair.

Although there are some on here who would like him to take the blame and none of the credit.

I missed the bit when he put his hand up and took the blame for this seasons debacle.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What I cannot understand is why everybody is saying Wilkins was sacked, which he wasnt. It was considered, by whoever the board or DK that he wasnt suitable as the manager in the long term so he was moved from that position and offered another one within the club. If he was so bad that wouldnt have been offered he would have just been sacked as per all previous managers. What ever he did it couldnt have been that bad. Granted it was unlikelty that he would accept the coaches job but at least it was offered to him.
Oh come on! Do you REALLY think he'd have accepted it under the circumstances? They KNEW he'd turn it down! It's a bit like your wife bringing home another man and telling you that you haven't got to leave, you can still stay and do all the oddjobs round the house because you're good at them, but the main 'husbandly' duties would now be performed by the new man. Would you stay under those circumstances?

The board replaced him behind his back and then didn't even have the decency to sack him cleanly. Instead they made him an offer which they knew that any man with an ounce of pride and dignity would reject; it was a pathetic attempt to put a figleaf of decency on a sordid affair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here