Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Jonny Dixon Thread Then?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I understand that Dixon was unimpressive at Luton (I didn't go) but yesterday he showed a couple of nice first touches and movement, without setting the world on fire. I try not to judge people on first impressions Tom, and I'm sure you don't - I think that you're fishing a little here. Please give Dixon more than 2 games to show what he can do. Remember Currie's first couple of games? He was dreadful but soon turned that around with a run of games under his belt.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I understand that Dixon was unimpressive at Luton (I didn't go) but yesterday he showed a couple of nice first touches and movement, without setting the world on fire. I try not to judge people on first impressions Tom, and I'm sure you don't - I think that you're fishing a little here. Please give Dixon more than 2 games to show what he can do. Remember Currie's first couple of games? He was dreadful but soon turned that around with a run of games under his belt.

Indeed. Even Nicky Forster looked a bit poo in his few four or five games for us.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sometimes, even the great sportsmen take a little while to settle when they step up in class.

Shane Warne's test debut, he took 1 wicket for 150 runs, but that didn't mean he wasn't up to it. He turned out to be more than a little decent.

That is all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Many good points, all well made DRF :clap:

I confess I may have been a tad OTT with my comments last night. But - jeez! - it was not a good game to watch. Too many such games recently for my liking. My fault, I'm sure :down:

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
Dunno :shrug:

To me, it's like being introduced to a random person at work or in the street. You suss them out pretty quick. What is it they say, you make an impression at an interview in about 20 seconds or something?

It's the same with football.

er, no it's not. no comparison at all. you cannot "suss out" a footballer's quality on 1 or 2 performances in a new team. i thought he was unspectacular but showed a few glimpses of quality (i remember good control and pass in the build up to murray's goal at least).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wish Forster would hurry up and get fit, and then the intelligensia of NSC can get back to accusing Murray of being lazy, and not worth £300k.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This Cognoscenti bollocks didn't quite hit the spot with the plummeting career of Leon Knight, did it?

Dixon has just made the step up from non-league (see Revell) and he has not had a great deal of time to settle. Surely the more discerning fan would defer writing him off completely, until he has had a pre-season under his belt and gained some more experience.

Gatting shows glimpses of being a good footballer, in my opinion, but the jury is out on that one. He has the footballing brain and decent positional sense, but it remains to be seen if he can apply it properly.

I think you are being very unfair on Thomson. It is an acknowledged fact that the Scottish and English game differs and he is adapting (in my opinion) well. I thought he was MoM this afternoon.

Was McFaul ever going to be a super signing? I thought his signing was pretty much an extended trial as there were other suitors for his signature.

Loft, I will agree with.

One thing that is important to remember is that a footballer is not a machine and it is not as simple as programming them to perform. They need to learn, adapt, grow and so on.

Still, why let reasonable doubt (etc.) get in the way of a decent chance to run down some players.

Have to agree with all of that 100%

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wish Forster would hurry up and get fit, and then the intelligensia of NSC can get back to accusing Murray of being lazy, and not worth £300k.

How do you mean get BACK to? When Coxy's screaming at a team-mate for not even trying to make a run then there's big trouble brewing somewhere down the line. The cognoscenti are NEVER wrong. Murray may not be lazy, probably isn't in fact, he's probably just be chronically lacking in pace, but to anybody looking on, it amounts to much the same thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bloke behind me yesterday was giving murray all kinds of grief after he went through in the first half but noused it up

"f***ing £300k for him we paid, what the f*** 'ave we got for it, f***ing la..."
(murray scores 10 seconds later)
"YEEEEEAHHHHHH !!!"

He returned to type in the 2nd half though. Even though murray had won most headers all afternoon and held things up pretty well, there was a skyward welly from Whing...

"Don't suppose you'll jump for that murray. Naah, thought not".

:shrug: the guy is just fighting a losing battle with some people.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Dixon should not be written-off just yet... and, please note that Whing is a permanent signing...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:shrug: the guy is just fighting a losing battle with some people.

Why IS that do you suppose? Nothing wrong with the boy's goal scoring rate. But Zamora never got that kind of grief on the pitch. Neither did Knight. Neither does Forster. Same goes for the also-rans like Revell and Bas Savage. Sorry, but there's something about Murray's playing style that rubs Albion fans up the wrong way. Maybe cos he doesn't appear to be either a grafter or an entertainer. Not sure what can be done about it, or whether anything should. Probably just a body language thing :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why IS that do you suppose? Nothing wrong with the boy's goal scoring rate. But Zamora never got that kind of grief on the pitch. Neither did Knight. Neither does Forster. Same goes for the also-rans like Revell and Bas Savage. Sorry, but there's something about Murray's playing style that rubs Albion fans up the wrong way. Maybe cos he doesn't appear to be either a grafter or an entertainer. Not sure what can be done about it, or whether anything should. Probably just a body language thing :shrug:

Zamora could look pretty uninterested at times, but he had a god-given gift for sticking the ball away. I'm not suggesting murray is another Zamora, but given time, I think he can improve his game and sharpen up his finishing.

I reckon he's good for 20 next season, don't you ?

Zamora could look pretty uninterested at times, but he had a god-given gift for sticking the ball away. I'm not suggesting murray is another Zamora, but given time, I think he can improve his game and sharpen up his finishing.

I reckon he's good for 20 next season, don't you ?

Zamora was prolific in the lower divisions, but not in the Prem. He scored his first goal of the season yesterday, incidentally.

Even with the (supposedly) weakened side we are fielding at this part of the season, Murray is knocking the goals in. I don't think anyone can rightly complain about the lad - he's better than Revell on the ball, gives defences more to worry about, and takes some of the attention off other players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree.
El Abd has still cost us the playoffs though.

*runs into the garden*

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Why IS that do you suppose? Nothing wrong with the boy's goal scoring rate. But Zamora never got that kind of grief on the pitch.

Amazing that's not true. There is a guy who sits behind me who had a go at Zamora a few times in his last season, and I'd often turn round and pick him up on it.

His general complaint seemed to centre around Zamora (in his opinion) not putting the effort in anymore, as he knows he's moving on.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Murray knocker really piss me off. Some people just WANT to believe he's lazy/misses every chance/is offside all the time.

What a load of bollocks - yeah, Cox had a go at him yesterday, but that was because he's an ego-maniac who couldn't cope with the fact that he played a shite pass. Obviously, it's Murray's fault though.

He might score 25 goals next season, but he'll still miss too many, be offside too much, and fail to do the Alex Revell job of running around like a headless chicken.

:rolleyes:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He arrived in Jan

FROM a conference team

and was injured before playing

There is no way you can possibly tell how he will do at this stage. But watching purely his off the ball movement yesterday, he did all the right things. just a lack of sharpness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here