Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No dunk

Oct 25, 2003
gus took the blame for the west ham goal, saying that he tells his players to pass the ball and take risks, so it's his fault

can't see why he'd go from that to telling dunk that it's his fault and because of one mistake never playing him again

aka i smell bullshit

Oct 25, 2003
Rumour doing the rounds in birmingham before the game is Gus blamed him for goal against west ham, said he shouldnt have passed to bridcutt, theyve had a row and hes been told he wont be playing again - dont shoot messenger - just what ive been told is what is being said, not that theres necessarily any truth in it.

What? He has announced officially that he's never playing him again?
I smell bullshit

i was replying to this

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can accept that he feels Dunk shouldn't have passed the ball, but also realises that he has the benefit of hindsight, and that generally passing to bridcutt is a fine decision, so it's unfair to blame Dunk for not foreseeing a slip up. So I find it quite unbelievable that they had an argument and gus has vowed dunk'll never play again. Maybe Gus feels Dunk needs a rest, but doesn't feel the need to publicly run him down for a decision to pass the ball to a player that no one expected to lose the ball?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Had so many scouts looking at him recently can see him just being rested so as to not let the praise go to his head and bring him down to earth a bit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
i was replying to this

I imagine NMH is saying that Gus will say one thing publicly, and another in private. Taking the blame in public to ease the pressure on the team, yet making the team know in private what they need to know. So him privately telling dunk he is to blame isn't really a big contradiction to telling the press gus was taking the blame.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can accept that he feels Dunk shouldn't have passed the ball, but also realises that he has the benefit of hindsight, and that generally passing to bridcutt is a fine decision, so it's unfair to blame Dunk for not foreseeing a slip up. So I find it quite unbelievable that they had an argument and gus has vowed dunk'll never play again. Maybe Gus feels Dunk needs a rest, but doesn't feel the need to publicly run him down for a decision to pass the ball to a player that no one expected to lose the ball?

I think the point is that it was an unnecessary pass. Dunk had nobody closing him down so wasn't drawing anyone out of position. If Nolan had been coming to him, then it would have been worthwhile. Maybe Gus is just emphasising the point that there is a reason for passing it around at the back and it's not just to be done for the sake of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he was genuinely being rested, he would have been on the bench, no?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He gave the ball away in the first minute of the Wham game with a terrible cross-field pass, did Dunk, so it was more than the one to Bridcutt that was off that night. I hold Bridders much more responsible for that one anyway. I'm happy with Gus to leave him out if he felt he needed to get his head sorted after so much sudden attention, and therefore pressure, placed on him so early in his career may have momentarily dizzied him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the point is that it was an unnecessary pass. Dunk had nobody closing him down so wasn't drawing anyone out of position. If Nolan had been coming to him, then it would have been worthwhile. Maybe Gus is just emphasising the point that there is a reason for passing it around at the back and it's not just to be done for the sake of it.

But if no one is closing you down and no one is being pulled out of position, you should pass it, hoping that either that person being in possession or the movement of the ball causing the opposition to move around and lose their shape or whatever.

Either way, the idea that Gus got into such an argument with Dunk over this just sounds too ridiculous to me, especially if Gus is explaining why the pass was wrong, as he should if he is coaching them to be better players.

I'm not arguing about whether dunk was to blame, or whether gus feels dunk was to blame and has dropped him to give him a rest as he is so young and still in his first year as a first choice player, just that the rumour of the argument between them over it resulting in gus saying dunk will never play again sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Dunk being rested doesnt sound equally ridiculous then?

I think it does, given what gus actually said after the game, doesnt make sense either to me, especially when we were/are so short staffed, why not have him on the bench?

And why is it so ridiculous that theyve had a row? He had one with Calde a few weeks ago just before the palace game, as with all chinese whispers it may have been embellished along the way but doesnt mean to say it didnt happen, he may even had said in the heat of the moment you wont be playing again, not meaning it at all, you`ll never know, neither of them are likely to say so. Its not possible that Gus is a bit hot headed at times??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Dunk being rested doesnt sound equally ridiculous then?

Nope. I don't see what is ridiculous about a manager dropping a young player in his first year as a regular starter, feeling that maybe he needs a break from the pressure that may have led to his unnecessary pass to Bridcutt. Or if you like a darker spin, maybe gus feeling he was responsible for the goal and dropping him, but telling the press he is being rested so as to protect him from the criticism.

I think it does, given what gus actually said after the game, doesnt make sense either to me, especially when we were/are so short staffed, why not have him on the bench?

Short staffed? We had four defenders on the pitch (plus the versatile Vincelot in midfield able to drop back if necessary), plus one on the bench and we comfortably kept a clean sheet. Not exactly dire straits.

And why is it so ridiculous that theyve had a row? He had one with Calde a few weeks ago just before the palace game, as with all chinese whispers it may have been embellished along the way but doesnt mean to say it didnt happen, he may even had said in the heat of the moment you wont be playing again, not meaning it at all, you`ll never know, neither of them are likely to say so. Its not possible that Gus is a bit hot headed at times??

So, your argument to believe that Dunk had a row with gus is "Calderon had one... maybe, it might just have been chinese whispers"

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Hope it's not a falling out. Most likely an injury, and also he's on 8 cards, maybe thought he'd run the risk of more in a physical game against Birmingham? Obviously, it's all just pointless speculation until we find out from the horse's mouth.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If he was genuinely being rested, he would have been on the bench, no?

nope i dont agree...a complete rest if not in the squad...good man management i would say imho dunk hasn't looked quite the same player over the last few games....it will though be interesting to see what happens next .the west from lad took a knock today...so maybe dunk will com back on tuesaday with calderon back to normal spot...who knows...but for me a very good and brave decision

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I feel that Gus probably bollocked Dunk for his shit pass in the opening minutes and then for playing the ball to Bridcutt which resulted in Nolans goal, but also that Lewis answered back, possibly in front of the squad and he is paying the price.
IMO, Gus can dish it out, and being manager, and having been there done that, and he is entitled too, but if you question his judgement then he will take umbrage, and if you belittle him in front of the squad, you will be dropped.
To me, it seems exactly the same senario as with Calderon against Palarse, not even on the bench.
But,I wouldnt mind betting that Dunk is back against Watford.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Why are some of you blaming Dunk for the pass, it was Bridcutt that slipped up allowing Nolan to run at goal, had Bridcutt remained on his feet I am sure he would have chased back, to me he had a mare of a game and gave the ball away on at least 4 occasions, yet he is still in the team, the point I am making is that Dunk being rested is not about one or two bad passes, otherwise several players would have suffered the same were it true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here