Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No disrespect to the Championship but ...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No disrespect to the Championship - but League One is where it's at in the Football League next season.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
When will Newcastle realise it's about winning matches, not how 'big' the club is, how passionate the supporters are, or the messiah ranking of the manager???

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
When will Newcastle realise it's about winning matches, not how 'big' the club is, how passionate the supporters are, or the messiah ranking of the manager???

No disrespect to Newcastle, but they don't deserve to be in a league with real loyal fans, competitive football, honest players, reasonable ticket prices and a league which isn't garanteed to be topped by the same 4 teams at the end of the season - not to mention which they might have a chance of winning a few more than 7 games!

Hope they finish lower mid table next year and the Geordies start booing Shearer in late September because they are only in 5th place, only for him to be sacked and the club to appoint Terry Venables who just about keeps them in the league. They truely are the definition of a circus club.

Also, no disrespect to Newcastle, but they deserve clowns like Jokin 'ere and Alan 'Messiah pt. 3' Shearer for manager and overpaid also-rans like Damien 'I used to play for Ranieri' Duff and Joey 'Say Championship again and I'll put me fag out in yer eye' Barton for players.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I read that from Duff and now realise the Newcastle are complete and utter thunder *****!!

I hope they keep falling and pass us on the way as we go up!! I hate them now more than Leeds!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
No disrepect to Newcastle but the premiership aint gonna miss you!!!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Vast majority of Newcastle fans are not as deluded as the ones who constantly protest outside St James'. If you speak to many they will cite the sackings of Robson and Big Sam as the real issues. Many of them didn't want either of them to be sacked. Tarnishing all Newcastle fans with the same 'deluded' and 'arrogant' brush is a bit harsh.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Vast majority of Newcastle fans are not as deluded as the ones who constantly protest outside St James'. If you speak to many they will cite the sackings of Robson and Big Sam as the real issues. Many of them didn't want either of them to be sacked. Tarnishing all Newcastle fans with the same 'deluded' and 'arrogant' brush is a bit harsh.

There's some truth in this. Certainly, most of the people who seem to gather outside St James's Park whenever something happens to the club appear to be certfiably insane but I don't think that it's quite true to imply that there was no mass call for Alladyce to go. The booing and the chanting from the crowd wasn't a handful of people - that was a mass demonstration. I'd have said that the majority would have wanted Big Sam out.

And no other clubs seem to have this obsession with a local Messiah. There's some (just a little) dissatisfaction with Wenger right now but I haven't yet heard a Gooner say "You know what we need? We need Tony Adams back as manager" And I bet we won't hear it - no matter how unhappy the fans get. But Newcastle fans seem to be a breed apart from anyone else.

Still, I bet if you'd surveyed Brighton supporters this time last year and asked who'd you rather have as manager - Wilkins or Adams - it would have been "Bye-bye Dean" so what do fans know?

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Newcastle have 15 players on 50K plus per week contracts withourt relegation clauses. Their income from the league will drop from £60 million to about £4 million. They raised £27 million through coprorate boxs, will they sell that against the smaller teams in the championship?

Don't they get some quite chunky parachute payments still ?, not sure how much and unlikely to offset the benefits of staying up but I thought it was still a hefty sum ?.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Premiership clubs are probably the worst run clubs financially out of all the leagues, they throw all their eggs in to one basket and never have a plan for relegation. I think we will see a lot more Leeds cases as the seasons go on.

I don't take joy at seeing clubs relegated, but after reading the comments, I hope they have a bloody hard time of it in the championship, and have a short sharp shock to see what life is like in the world of real football.

If they think they are going to walk this league they got another thing coming. Teams will rubbing their hands looking at their fixtures next season. Newcastle will not be used to the grounds, attendances and the most they can look forward to is a five minute slot on ITV championship show.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
West Brom are much better equipped to go straight back up IMHO.

Newcastle will need to move on a lot of under-performing, over-paid players (Smith, Viduka, Owen, Coluccini to name but a few) before they can think about building a side which is suitable for winning promotion.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The thing is, you CAN just about manage the finances - it just takes some balls. Sunderland have player contracts that all stipulate a huge wage cut if they go down. That will not have been easy to negotiate with players or agents, and there will have been some ultimatums, and players who went to other clubs as a result.

But what you are left with is a group, albeit of slightly lesser quality, that genuinely want to be there and are playing for their own futures as well as the club's. Fans have to buy into that as well, realising that going for top players on four-year deals on big money when you could get relegated after a year is a recipe for disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here