Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] No Budget thread?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just completed a sky news budget calculator and apparently I will be better of by £57 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t done the calculator but assuming all go’s to plan with the easing of lockdown and the eventual return to normality mid June I will definitely be better off next year which in turn means so will the Treasury [emoji106]

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thanks. I’m now really struggling to see the benefit as it seems nothing more than moving something to a less glamorous place at the taxpayers expense and also to then lose taxes from over the longer term. And this is completely ignoring the associated crime which goes with free ports. What’s the upside?
Ferry companies without any ships can use them ?

Grayling is on the case.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I seem to recall the outrage when labour proposed tax rises in the last election. The Tories do it, happy days...

not sure they are that many people happy. big business and the Tory backbench (and oddly Labour frontbench) will be harrumphing a lot about the £45Bn corporation tax, traditional conservatives and labour will not be happy about the £8bn raised from freezing allowances either. meanwhile pragmatists will say not enough has been raised to deal with the large deficit. the list of things not done is longer than the list of changes, opportunities missed.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Evntd8BXMAEvw6e.jpeg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Slight difference being COVID 19 hadn’t shut the world down then [emoji106]

Anyway nice to see there was a little something yesterday for those nice people at the NHS that have saved ten of thousands of lives over the last 12 months

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thanks. I’m now really struggling to see the benefit as it seems nothing more than moving something to a less glamorous place at the taxpayers expense and also to then lose taxes from over the longer term. And this is completely ignoring the associated crime which goes with free ports. What’s the upside?
The Baker Street Herald website has a pretty nasty explanation of Freeports / Charter Cities / Enterprise Cities.

Unsurprisingly Tufton Street seems to be connected to it all.

We shall see, I guess - but I'm certainly very uneasy about it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I know...

Thank god the Cayman Islands favourite hedge fund manager came to save us all....

View attachment 134458

It's ok though

The people of Britain are sharp and analytical enough to see through these double standards straight away

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Several people seem to be making this same misleading point over and over again. I can only think it is the Labour Party propaganda machine in full swing. There is simply no economic comparison between the events you are trying to conflate. We have been in the midst of this pandemic for a year. There is a huge demand deficit in the economy and an enormous fiscal deficit. Therefore the effect of these tax and spending decisions on inflation, employment, Balance of payments etc will be entirely different. You simply cannot compare economic policies used to address such circumstances with another time with totally different demand and fiscal circumstances. Well, you can if you are attempting to mislead by soundbite but you can’t if engaging in serious economic debate.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
“ Mr Sunak also announced that 750 civil service jobs at the Treasury will be transferred to Darlington, in the north-east of England”

Poor sods. They’re not called the nasty party for nothing are they?

Think of the nice properties available up there for what would be regarded as peanuts down here. Not for me mind you. Went there watching the Albion that's enough

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Several people seem to be making this same misleading point over and over again. I can only think it is the Labour Party propaganda machine in full swing. There is simply no economic comparison between the events you are trying to conflate. We have been in the midst of this pandemic for a year. There is a huge demand deficit in the economy and an enormous fiscal deficit. Therefore the effect of these tax and spending decisions on inflation, employment, Balance of payments etc will be entirely different. You simply cannot compare economic policies used to address such circumstances with another time with totally different demand and fiscal circumstances. Well, you can if you are attempting to mislead by soundbite but you can’t if engaging in serious economic debate.

What is the serious economic debate regarding why we didn't address corporation tax post 2008 financial crash to the Covid deficit? Would be good to know why corporation tax is a good vehicle this time but not last time?

I think I'm right in saying it was 28% ahead of 2008, then cut to 26% 2010, and pretty much a cut each year until we reached 19% in 2017 - an unprecedented set of cuts in such a small period of time, all the while austerity austerity austerity was the mantra. I don't know, I'm not an expert but I remember thinking the cuts to corporation tax were wrong when they were happening given that economic situation. Now it seems a good idea to not just raise them, but almost a complete reversal back to 2010 level.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think of the nice properties available up there for what would be regarded as peanuts down here. Not for me mind you. Went there watching the Albion that's enough

Been there a couple of times and to be fair it’s a good away day. They had a really good bar, best described as a modern real ale bar (Bar 35 or similar) and the CAMRA recommended beer section in Binns Department Store for train supplies. We went to Binns pre-match, chose our supplies which the store then looked after and we collected after the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here