Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No American pale ales

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
No Guinness anywhere in the Amex...bring on the heavy beer,Guinness,Murphys...plenty of promises that they will stock it but no results:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
harveys wasn't as nice this week as last, someone may have to explain about cleaning lines and all that guff, given they have staff don't know about sediment and that plenty of pubs still get it wrong this could be the last week of acceptable ale
There are no lines! :lol:

Not tried that one yet. Sounds like my sort of thing.
I like APA, I do not like Hop Head. I'd have thought if they sold it more widely, it'd become more popular than Hop Head.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No Guinness anywhere in the Amex...bring on the heavy beer,Guinness,Murphys...plenty of promises that they will stock it but no results:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I imagine that the problem with draught Guinness is that it's not a quick pint to serve - there are already moans about waiting times so I can't see anything that will take even longer to serve being considered.

No reason not to have bottled stuff though.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
They only ever seem to export Hophead (was in Exeter Arms, Derby on sat) but i've never seen their APA up here.

Another vote here for the APA. It's really good. Would LOVE it if it found it's way onto the WSU concourse. Surely a couple of those Mobile pumps (like the Harveys ones) wouldn't be to much for Dark Star to come up with ...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Dark Star are already brewing at capacity, again, having moved to their big new brewery at Partridge Green. It is very true that their PR/marketing is non existent - but the beer does it for them, everyone wants it, they've just tured down Greene King at the moment cos they haven't got enough to supply...but the Amex IS a priority.
The plan is to have Hophead and APA in Dick's bar and Hophead on the concourses, and they are currently importing some flash new stuff from Germany so that they can do the mobile bars as Harvey's do. At the moment Hophead is available most of the time in Dick's. They should have been a lot quicker off hte mark but as i say, they already have demand far exceeding supply capability having moved to a new plant recently, they brew such wonderful beer that everyone wants it and they are still the same bunch of affable old hippies and punks they always were, don't worry Tub, we'll get there eventually :)

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
APA is ace. I like Hophead but after a couple of pints it does become a little too much. I could drink APA all night. Sadly, no sign of Dark Star in 1901 East Lounge... in fact none of the staff had even heard of Dark Star which is slightly worrying!

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
As a larger drinker for a considerable number of years I've never been very experimental with my drinks, but to avoid the queues I tried Harveys on the concourse and was really pleased I did. I am now a convert for the Harveys and quite happy to try anything else they want to set up in those little bars.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a larger drinker for a considerable number of years

Well, lots of us are carrying a few extra kilos :)

I've never been very experimental with my drinks, but to avoid the queues I tried Harveys on the concourse and was really pleased I did. I am now a convert for the Harveys and quite happy to try anything else they want to set up in those little bars.

Joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They only ever seem to export Hophead (was in Exeter Arms, Derby on sat) but i've never seen their APA up here.
The only seem to have it in their own pubs :shrug:
APA is ace. I like Hophead but after a couple of pints it does become a little too much. I could drink APA all night. Sadly, no sign of Dark Star in 1901 East Lounge... in fact none of the staff had even heard of Dark Star which is slightly worrying!
This.
As a larger drinker for a considerable number of years I've never been very experimental with my drinks, but to avoid the queues I tried Harveys on the concourse and was really pleased I did. I am now a convert for the Harveys and quite happy to try anything else they want to set up in those little bars.
Notters likes this!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I LOVE the idea that the Amex, as the newest Cathedral of Harveys is actually CONVERTING people to worship on the altar of real ale. Once Dark Star have got it sorted we'll be able open a second front in the war against lager.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
It seems that Sussex is just as thirsty for real ale as the rest of the country, so we might see some of the startups like WJ King on the pumps at the amex. Not that i've tried their stuff, but they could fill in the gaps perhaps.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I LOVE the idea that the Amex, as the newest Cathedral of Harveys is actually CONVERTING people to worship on the altar of real ale. Once Dark Star have got it sorted we'll be able open a second front in the war against lager.

That's what i was thinking. Sell proper ale in a place like a football ground and you'll convert so many to the good stuff. Bloom is a genius!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It's Hophead not APA that they do in Dick's Bar.

It has been on but apparently Dark Star haven't sent them a pump clip yet so most people don't realise it's on.

Attila should just nick a pump clip from the Evening Star I reckon.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
It's Hophead not APA that they do in Dick's Bar.

It has been on but apparently Dark Star haven't sent them a pump clip yet so most people don't realise it's on.

Attila should just nick a pump clip from the Evening Star I reckon.

Just for your information Darkstar use an APA recipe for Hophead:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.70 kg Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 94.87 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (26.0 EBC) Grain 5.13 %
45.00 gm Cascade [5.65 %] (20 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
60.00 gm Cascade [5.65 %] (10 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
60.00 gm Cascade [5.65 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Well this is what all the real ale geeks believe is in it. They may even use lager malt as it's so pale in colour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here