Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No American pale ales

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Me thinks that one young member of catering staff in WSU (south kiosk) lst night urgently needs someone to explain real ale to him.

I ordered what is now my customary two pints of Harveys before the game and noticed they were both cloudy and sedimented with the dregs from the barrell, so I took them back and asked for two more and he proceeded to tip the barrell up of the stand. I explained that he mustn't do that as you get the crap at the bottom of the barrell into the glass and he looked at me and said "how else am I supposed to get it out then!!!

I went and swapped them at the central kiosk where they were very understanding and shook their heads in disbelief when they were told what one of their colleagues was doing!

D

Deleted member 18477

Me thinks that one young member of catering staff in WSU (south kiosk) lst night urgently needs someone to explain real ale to him.

I ordered what is now my customary two pints of Harveys before the game and noticed they were both cloudy and sedimented with the dregs from the barrell, so I took them back and asked for two more and he proceeded to tip the barrell up of the stand. I explained that he mustn't do that as you get the crap at the bottom of the barrell into the glass and he looked at me and said "how else am I supposed to get it out then!!!

I went and swapped them at the central kiosk where they were very understanding and shook their heads in disbelief when they were told what one of their colleagues was doing!

to be fair i wouldnt have known that when younger. all you drink is fosters and crap like that. he'll learn. glad to hear you got it sorted though!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There is Dark Star in Dick's Bar.

I've been to Dick's Bar twice, and both times they didn't have any Dark Star! Very disappointing, but on a brighter note, the Albion Ale was excellent.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I've been to Dick's Bar twice, and both times they didn't have any Dark Star! Very disappointing, but on a brighter note, the Albion Ale was excellent.

Really? Pretty certain it was on on Saturday pre-game, although I was drinking Harveys. Haven't tried Albion Ale yet, must do so.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They're supposed to be serving Hophead anyway, not American Pale Ale.

The principle reason, I am told (needs confirming from Attila) that Dark Star is in such short supply at the Amex is that they have received a mahoosive order from Greene King, which they are at (or beyond) capacity to fulfil. So it will have to be Harvey's for me for now.

Which suits me just fine.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
harveys wasn't as nice this week as last, someone may have to explain about cleaning lines and all that guff, given they have staff don't know about sediment and that plenty of pubs still get it wrong this could be the last week of acceptable ale

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
They're supposed to be serving Hophead anyway, not American Pale Ale.

The principle reason, I am told (needs confirming from Attila) that Dark Star is in such short supply at the Amex is that they have received a mahoosive order from Greene King, which they are at (or beyond) capacity to fulfil. So it will have to be Harvey's for me for now.

Which suits me just fine.

Hop head is an american pale ale, full of cascade hops.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not tried that one yet. Sounds like my sort of thing.

They are nice. If you're a lager drinker Hop Head and American Pale Ale will suit. Another nice one is Brewdog IPA which you can get in Tesco now.

I think Dark Star might have missed the boat with respect to the concourse bars. Harveys were very proactive, and have taken over. It's difficult to see how Dark Star will find a way in now. I hope I'm wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here