Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NIMBY sympathising in the Daily Telegraph

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Page 12 of the Daily Telegraph today carries a distinctly RUBBISH piece about the decision, presumably written by a lazy journalist who lives in some fluffy Gloucestershire hamlet and thinks the world should stay the same forever.

The bit I like is from Falmer Parish councillor Melanie Cutress, who seems to think she lives on set in the Vicar of Dibley:

"We are an idyllic Sussex village with a little church, a duck pond, flint cottages and downland views"

And a stadium, Mrs Cutress :lolol:

It also features a photograph of the site, taken presumably from the most favourable angle the Telegraph could find, thus minimising the university prefabs, along with Mrs Cutress looking solemnly on. I'm afraid to say they haven't captured her best side...

She's definitely superimposed on that picture. Synthetic, manufactured pic for a synthetic, manufactured controversy.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
it still winds me up when listening to these "People". Lats night on Meridian (I think) the reporter was banging on about how detrimental it was gonna be for the sceanic village. Then up pops some old bloke with scribbles of the stadium dimensions on abit of paper!?! He then proceeds to tell us that it will be visable from the top of the Church Tower.....who the bloody hell live sat the top of a church tower I ask you?!

Also in the same report, a Seagulls "Fan" who upon hearing the news said it was Terrible....Fan my arse mate :angry:

ARGH....time for food!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
edna krabappel said:
Page 12 of the Daily Telegraph today carries a distinctly RUBBISH piece about the decision, presumably written by a lazy journalist who lives in some fluffy Gloucestershire hamlet and thinks the world should stay the same forever.

The bit I like is from Falmer Parish councillor Melanie Cutress, who seems to think she lives on set in the Vicar of Dibley:

"We are an idyllic Sussex village with a little church, a duck pond, flint cottages and downland views"

And a stadium, Mrs Cutress :lolol:

It also features a photograph of the site, taken presumably from the most favourable angle the Telegraph could find, thus minimising the university prefabs, along with Mrs Cutress looking solemnly on. I'm afraid to say they haven't captured her best side...

yeah very true, but near the back there is a pro falmer one!:bounce:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
yeh i saw that...........sad bastards clutching at straws. FFS concede defeat......its over.YOU LOST deal with it

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
from nimbys in paper ' The football club has been able to pay huge sums to consultants,expert witnesses and so forth in the inquiry but we have had to fight our corner our selves.'

YEAH WITH THE HELP OF LEWIS COUNCIL!

Drumstick said:
from nimbys in paper ' The football club has been able to pay huge sums to consultants,expert witnesses and so forth in the inquiry but we have had to fight our corner our selves.'

YEAH WITH THE HELP OF LEWIS COUNCIL!

Why would a Scottish island council want to help the NIMBYs?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
did the 'locals' have any objections when the TWO uni's were built?

i wonder how house prices wil lchange (up or down?) when building starts...

also, will the (Swan?) pub extend premises, to cater for all the extra fan$$ ? or ban them all, and swiftly go out of business?

desprateseagull said:
did the 'locals' have any objections when the TWO uni's were built?
Or when they drove a motorway through their village? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: It really is two villages, Falmer East and Falmer West :clap: :clap: :clap:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My auntie in Norfolk rang to congratulate me and she's such a middle england dedicated tory-graph reader / gardeners questiontime listener that I'm sure she irons the paper. Love her to bits though. But even she said re: page 12 article "how can they (Falmer opposition) still get away with calling it an AONB?! It simply isn't one with the A27 running through it".

Nice one auntie J, there lies the reason why the NIMBY's lost. They talked a load of shite! Of course, I may have "influenced" my aunts views down the years.....

:lolol:

1066gull

All talk about Falmer is a AONB and that is bull.

If anything, it will be one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here