Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nimby mailshot....grr

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Came in last night to discover my ticket for the home leg waiting for me....and a mailshot from the Campaign for the Preservation of Rural England asking for a donation to fight proposed developments within rural areas. One of the things they drew my attention to was light pollution affecting the countryside, although they managed to miss out on bats.

I feel personally affronted about this: how dare they send me such stuff. What next, recruiting leaflets from the BNP?

I'm baffled as to why they singled me out. I don't subscribe to Nimby News or any other similar publication. Nor do I belong to any organisation in agreement with their views (unless they count CAMRA). In the past I've been perplexed to receive mailshots offering me cigarettes and a trial drive in a new car (I'm a non-smoking non-driver) but this is even more bizarre.

Has anyone else had this or have I been singled out?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Campaign for the Preservation of Rural England = pickling the countryside in its present state, most of which is a man-made environment anyway.

Conservation = maintaining the countryside to allow for changing circumstances.

I know which I'd rather support

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am indeed a south London resident; it's the most baffling mailshot I've ever had. The CPRE is a repellent organisation, one with the sole aim of preserving rich bastards' property prices. I just do not understand why I have been singled out. I thought that it might be part of a mass campaign but no-one else I know seems to have had one.

Still, sounds like Nimbydom is getting desperate.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
chips and gravy said:
Campaign for the Preservation of Rural England = pickling the countryside in its present state, most of which is a man-made environment anyway.

Conservation = maintaining the countryside to allow for changing circumstances.

I know which I'd rather support

Spot on!

Was this personally addressed to you, or was it one of those 'to the householder' letters? If it was addressed to you, I hope you have sent it back to them, demanding that you be removed from their mailing list and making it quite clear why you think they are repellant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was personally addressed to me. And I am indeed going to reply to 'Sir' Max Hastings telling him that I will continue to campaign against the aims of the CPRE and any similar nutty right-wing organisations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here