Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I should have added that according to their website, an annual subscription to the print version of the Mail for 7 days a week would start at a cost of £382.20. A colour TV licence for a year is currently £169.50. Multiple times the content for less than half the price. Imagine what all of the BBC services would cost you if you had to buy them from private providers. If Reform got their way, that's what you'd have to do.
DM owned by the Jersey-based holding company Rothermere Continuation Limited....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not everyone has a television or uses a device to watch the BBC or live tv . I don’t and haven’t done for over 20 years so although I appreciate I’m in a minority why should I fund other people’s entertainment? I am quite happy to access the news online from other media sources and pay a Netflix and Amazon subscription for streaming other stuff.

More importantly- If the BBC ( or any other PBS company ) is funded through taxation, you are talking about turning the BBC into a State funded/controlled TV news station which is highly undesirable in a liberal democracy.

The licence fee is really not much different to a form of subscription in that you have to pay a fee to use the service - if the BBC rebranded itself as a subscription service, perhaps that might be more palatable for those complaining about the annual licence fee cost.
these are the usual arguments used against the licence: why should people pay it when they dont watch BBC, and it's a tax on having a TV. and it is a tax, being compulsory for TV ownership and enforced by state pubishable by imprisonment.
indeed, if it did rebrand the licence to a subscription and removed the legal enforcement, near all objection would evaporate. though since so much value comes from the wide range of services and non-commercial programming, general tax would seem suitable. or maybe a combination.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't think its the press that this refers to. Besides the fact that hardly anyone reads a newspaper these days I think there is little doubt what the political views of a newspaper are before you CHOOSE to buy it. Similarly I CHOOSE whether or not to watch Channel 4 or GB News knowing their political leanings. What bugs a lot of people is being forced to pay for the BBC. Imagine being forced to pay for the Daily Mail every day whether you choose to read it or not. That's how those of us to the right of centre feel about being forced to pay for the BBC.
I’m right of centre and I am happy to pay for license.

The BBC is not a lefty organisation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There is a vast difference between the programmes on BBC which the right/anti-woke would hate, and the political programmes/news with Laura Kuenssburg and Fiona Bruce with the exception of Victoria Derbyshire.
Hopefully, the board will be sorted out with recommendations from Downing Street dropped and executives appointed on their merits, not on their political persuasions.

Imo, the licence fee £15 a month is worth it for many varied programmes even though I should now be getting it free of charge.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

There is a perception the Beeb is left, this exists because 80% of our print media is right wing and lightly regulated by rather ineffective IPSO.

The Beeb is often criticised from both the left and right, its usually a good sign.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There is a perception the Beeb is left, this exists because 80% of our print media is right wing and lightly regulated by rather ineffective IPSO.

The Beeb is often criticised from both the left and right, its usually a good sign.
The BBC is the biggest customer for print media in this country by a huge margin. This is in terms of both providing uncritical coverage of their front pages and in terms of providing a platform for some of their journalists. The latter is generally a good thing, when it means there is access to a wide range of views. Echoing the views of some pretty unpleasant media oligarchs via their headlines is neither helpful or necessary.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This thread is supposed to be about Farage, not the BBC, so start a new thread on that if that's what you want to talk about.

I watched Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart discussing Farage in the HoC as an MP and they both agreed that now he is an MP if he chooses to voice his anti-Tory rhetoric in / around the Chamber he will quickly lose what Tory friends he still has.

He must look at his pal Donald Trump and see how he has managed to turn the Republican Party into his own personal cult. If Farage was minded he could attempt the same thing with the Tories, but because he shows contempt for the Tories it is difficult to see both sides ever working together.

Farage will be keen on PR and I can't see the Tories going for that either. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It amazes me how many people moan about the BBC license fee at yet are quite happy to pay £500 ish a year for SKY and other subscription services.

I can not stand Laura Kuenssburg or some other things on the BBC but still feel it is fantastic value, especially for advert free listening and watching

I think Farage is a C U Next Tuesday

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It amazes me how many people moan about the BBC license fee at yet are quite happy to pay £500 ish a year for SKY and other subscription services.

I can not stand Laura Kuenssburg or some other things on the BBC but still feel it is fantastic value, especially for advert free listening and watching

I think Farage is a C U Next Tuesday
I don't think he's that nice.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Farage uses the migrant deaths in the channel to get in an early morning dig at Labour:

I bet every morning he's been getting up and hoping for some migrants deaths with which to beat Labour.

What an absolute c**t of the highest order, right up there with Bill Archer, Bellotti, Trump, Zaha and Mike Dean.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I bet every morning he's been getting up and hoping for some migrants deaths with which to beat Labour.

What an absolute c**t of the highest order, right up there with Bill Archer, Bellotti, Trump, Zaha and Mike Dean.
Mike Dean and Zaha might be bad, but not on the same level as the man of the people

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Mike Dean and Zaha might be bad, but not on the same level as the man of the people
At least the man of the people will now have both the Labour government and the rump of the Tory party, gunning for him, armed with parliamentary privilege and scrutiny. It should be rich seam of entertainment. Expect squeals of victimisation.

Perhaps we will actually see the contents of the Russia report, and find out where Farage made his millions (apart from harvesting Reform voters obviously).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
At least the man of the people will now have both the Labour government and the rump of the Tory party, gunning for him, armed with parliamentary privilege and scrutiny. It should be rich seam of entertainment. Expect squeals of victimisation.

Perhaps we will actually see the contents of the Russia report, and find out where Farage made his millions (apart from harvesting Reform voters obviously).
The more he squeals that he's being victimized, the more people will see him as the anti establishment man (see Brexit for example). It might make people double down and vote again

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
the more people will see him as the anti establishment man (see Brexit for example). It might make people double down and vote again
Nothing says "Man-of-the-people" like a Coutts bank account.

It's genuinely quite incredible how people get sucked in time and again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here