Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That's a fair point. I worded that badly. I can only speak for the people I know. However all my family are right of centre, I live in a town that always votes Conservative (even this time!), the majority of my friends are right of centre and almost everyone I work with is right of centre (Army) so i guess i'm just basing it on my own discussions.

Not sure about the Reform manifesto. I haven't studied it.
Hell's TEETH, man. Look at the size of your echo chamber!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Reform’s manifesto includes a commitment to scrap the £170 a year television licence and to reform the “institutionally biased” and “out-of-touch” BBC.

The party would also introduce a new free speech bill to “stop Left-wing bias and politically correct ideology that threatens personal freedom and democracy”.

The manifesto adds: “No more de-banking, cancel culture, left wing hate mobs or political bias in public institutions. Stop Sharia law being used in the UK.”

Elsewhere it would make St George’s Day a bank holiday and would reform both the Lords, to make it more democratic, and postal votingto tackle fraud.

Reform says it would reject the World Health Organisation’s pandemic treaty and quit the organisation itself “unless there is fundamental reform to its structure and funding”

From The Telegraph.

It’s like ppf wrote it 🤣
" Stop Sharia law being used in the UK " , truly shocking part of The reform manifesto if what you have posted is correct .
What is the problem with Sharia law anyway , seems to work just fine in Saudi Arabia and Iran for their citizens

As for scrapping the BBC TV license payment though , that seems quite sensible to me when there are plenty of other media options available now.
Those that can't do without would I am sure be perfectly well served by a subscription based BBC service .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Putin thinks so.
Putin loves the likes of Farage, Trump, Le Pen etc, they all seek to create division which weakens the west.

Anyone that votes for these people are essentially enablers of Russia, useful idiots I'm afraid and there are a few on here. We've always had them on the far right and the far left, its a cult nothing else. What is different today is social media gives them amplification they never had in the past.

All we can do call these people out and expose them for what they are really are.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As for scrapping the BBC TV license payment though , that seems quite sensible to me when there are plenty of other media options available now.
Those that can't do without would I am sure be perfectly well served by a subscription based BBC service .
We need public service broadcasting, the licence model used by the Beeb is used in many European countries. If you pass everything to the commercial sector, everything is on financial viability rather than public interest. You end with with Infotainment based on clicks. Proper journalism is expensive, where was Netflix during covid?

Here Ofcom needs greater power to remove or suspend broadcast licences to those who spread misinformation, the gene needs to be put back in the bottle before when end in with the idiculously polarised media of the USA, the product of weakened regulation. Cue Murdoch TV....

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I am not sure if anyone will be able to access this article, I hope so.

John Burn-Murdoch is a data-led journalist and I always value his insights.

The conclusion here is that within the UK anti-immigration, anti LGBT+ and a push back against environmentalism have broader support than within current Reform UK voters and that the most successful parties in Europe have combined this with left wing economics, rather than the US right leaning model.

It also highlights a limit in ReformUK's appeal due to a predominantly older male leadership and poor organisation structure, both of which SHOULD be eminently addressable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
" Stop Sharia law being used in the UK " , truly shocking part of The reform manifesto if what you have posted is correct .
What is the problem with Sharia law anyway , seems to work just fine in Saudi Arabia and Iran for their citizens

The bbc and its license system a serve us all very well and are very important.

Otherwise you get Fox TV, adverts every few minutes, and the needs of shareholders being met before consumers.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Otherwise you get Fox TV, adverts every few minutes, and the needs of shareholders being met before consumers.
Labour need to sure up BBC local radio and TV. With the demise of local newspapers these sources of public information have never been more important.

World service need shoring up too, a great source of soft power for the UK

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Imagine being forced to pay for the Daily Mail every day whether you choose to read it or not. That's how those of us to the right of centre feel about being forced to pay for the BBC.
Putting the question of perception aside, I'd be happy to pay for the Daily Mail every day if it provided in return:

All of these radio stations: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/stations
About three quarters of the BFI's top 100 ever TV programmes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_TV_100
This web presence covering multiple topics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/
The World Service: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_world_service
Weather: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather
and Educational support to schools and pupils: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

The argument against BBC bias is generally an argument against BBC News only. It is made by different people who have differing perceptions of where the centre is, but it is also made by the BBC's direct competitors and the politicians that they lobby. There are also some who make the argument on an ideological basis, believing that nothing should be state owned despite how successful that model may have been for a century. Reform UK fall into this camp.

The privatisation of nationalised industries argument that started under Thatcher was, at first sold to the public as a means to efficiency and better public services. It has morphed / been revealed as an approach that is just as ideologically based as Labour's Clause 4 was. The pragmatic view would suggest that having a nationalised industry doing house removals probably wasn't the best model, but that creating an artificial market to allow private companies to run trains and water supplies seems equally perverse and inefficient.

Reform UK is populated by true believers in this, now obviously discredited 'market is always best' doctrine and the BBC and the NHS are the two big targets. We must all read between the lines and not get caught up by the lesser argument about whether news coverage best matches our own personal views. The argument is not about political bias in the news coverage. It's about the vast amounts of money that could be made if vultures were alllowed free reign to cherry pick what they could sell and abandon what is being provided for the public good.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't generally have any issues with the BBC - except for the 2 weeks a year where they insist in saturating both channels with the only sport they have left - bloody tennis. They are the country's leading public service broadcaster for which I pay a licence fee and I have no interest in watching tennis. But for two weeks every year I have no choice. They should at least show regular programming on BBC1 or BBC2 (if they continue to refuse to wakeup BBC3 or BBC4 before 7PM).

I turned over to BBC2 at the start of this week for Newsnight (10.30pm as advertised) and they were still showing bloody tennis.

Aunty needs to understand that not all (I would say only a fairly small minority) of licence fee payers want wall to wall tennis 24/7.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

No what you will get is a streamlined service with programming aimed at the companies subscribers who are funding it

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am not sure if anyone will be able to access this article, I hope so.

John Burn-Murdoch is a data-led journalist and I always value his insights.

The conclusion here is that within the UK anti-immigration, anti LGBT+ and a push back against environmentalism have broader support than within current Reform UK voters and that the most successful parties in Europe have combined this with left wing economics, rather than the US right leaning model.

It also highlights a limit in ReformUK's appeal due to a predominantly older male leadership and poor organisation structure, both of which SHOULD be eminently addressable.

Interesting article. I don't think there's any doubt that Reform UK is currently the cult that is Nigel Farage (damn auto correct :wink:). What the other populist right wing parties have around Europe are established parties with structure and long term representation at all levels, which has taken lots of hard work to establish.

There is no doubt that this (and the move to left wing economics) are achievable if given time and the right leadership, and that is a worry.

However, I don't think Farage is up to the kind of work required to establish a proper party and all that entails. This election has proven that Farage is currently unable to put out significant numbers of prospective candidates at any levels without having the various racists, fascists, homophobes, islamophobes, misogynists, antisemites, nazi sympathisers, Putin supporters, Trump supporters, Andrew Tate supporters and conspiracy theorists diving in to become officials, candidates and canvassers for them.

I have no idea why that happens, it's not as if Nigel encourages those sorts. Maybe he's just unlucky :shrug:

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Reform UK is populated by true believers in this, now obviously discredited 'market is always best' doctrine and the BBC and the NHS are the two big targets. We must all read between the lines and not get caught up by the lesser argument about whether news coverage best matches our own personal views. The argument is not about political bias in the news coverage. It's about the vast amounts of money that could be made if vultures were alllowed free reign to cherry pick what they could sell and abandon what is being provided for the public good.
Agreed - and this is why I personally feel people need to realise that chancers like Farage and Tice are NOT ON YOUR SIDE.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Richard Tice said with a straight face in an interview the other day that Matlock NEARLY DIED of Pneumonia.

They're such relentless pricks these lot aren't they?
Went to the same Dr as Johnson did during covid? Must have been that doctor we had under the last days of poyet who seemly had all the bedside manner of Dr Crippen with similar successful recovery stats

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A rare non-partisan post on this thread:

I write this while watching the news on BBC2.

I am struck by the number of articles containing violence (the crossbow murders, the Holly Willloughby case, the Gurdwara attack, the manhunt in Bristol).

The only article that doesn't contain violence. is one about migrants dying off the French coast.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Imagine being forced to pay for the Daily Mail every day whether you choose to read it or not. That's how those of us to the right of centre feel about being forced to pay for the BBC.
I should have added that according to their website, an annual subscription to the print version of the Mail for 7 days a week would start at a cost of £382.20. A colour TV licence for a year is currently £169.50. Multiple times the content for less than half the price. Imagine what all of the BBC services would cost you if you had to buy them from private providers. If Reform got their way, that's what you'd have to do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I should have added that according to their website, an annual subscription to the print version of the Mail for 7 days a week would start at a cost of £382.20. A colour TV licence for a year is currently £169.50. Multiple times the content for less than half the price. Imagine what all of the BBC services would cost you if you had to buy them from private providers. If Reform got their way, that's what you'd have to do.
as BBC is such wide value across the nation, shouldnt the funding come from general taxation? it would certainly clear up one of the main objections, licence fee that doesn't really suit modern use of TV and broadcasting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here