Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Ah, the manipulation of figures, been around for centuries. I agree that 40% could not be bothered, but of the 60% who did vote only 33.8%

Ah, the manipulation of figures, been around for centuries. I agree that 40% could not be bothered, but of the 60% who did vote only 33.8% supported labour. Or just over 1 in 3 if you want it that way. Agreed? Voting apathy is usually associated with voters whom have a vote, those that think it's pointless voting. I for one did not have the right candidate to vote for, so no vote from me. That's 100% of a vote that would not have been Labour's. Still figures eh!

Labour won more seats than those opposing them. I agree that as a measure it’s crude, yet it’s our electoral system. If you have a different party you want voted in, then they have to have an achievable message to voters that’s more compelling than the competition. Good luck at the next election.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How are these people allowed to get in and disrupt the electoral process its like the Tory MP that had stuff ripped up campaigning its surely a police matter for public disruption etc.
Yes, I know mile oak. The army should be on the streets, knocking them into shape.

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
The 2011 referendum asked if FPTP should be replaced by Alternative Vote. This voting system would not have been any more representative than FPTP.

We have not been given a referendum on proportional representation.

Farage will be pushing for a referendum and it is also in the interests of both Green Party and Liberal Democrats* to back it.

*Even if the Lib Dems benefitted from the tactical voting under FPTP this time around. That won’t happen at every election.
That's true.
Makes me wonder 2 things.
I don't get why the Lib Dems, when finally given the opportunity, didn't insist on making the referendum about PR instead of the Alternative Vote thing.
And had the referendum offered PR, would the British electorate have gone for it?

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Well, most racists are nationalistic and most English nationalists appear to be racist, so not 100% correlation, but…
I am not racist against any creed or colour but am slightly nationalistic. I want people to come to my Country, whether Black, white yellow or orange. But, I really want you to assimilate to my countries beliefs. Does that make me wrong?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
That's true.
Makes me wonder 2 things.
I don't get why the Lib Dems, when finally given the opportunity, didn't insist on making the referendum about PR instead of the Alternative Vote thing.
And had the referendum offered PR, would the British electorate have gone for it?
The result would have depended greatly on what false claims were printed on the side the side of the Vote No battle bus.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The thing about Farage is, he’s terminally work-shy. He’s a one-term wonder, because between now and his re-election campaign in 5 years time, nobody in Clacton is going to see him.

He did the same as a MEP, and just took the salary without turning up to the job. Now, I’m willing to bet that the same people who bothered to go and vote for Farage will note that they’ve been completely ignored for the gap between election and re-election campaign. Unless he’s actually put somebody competent in to run as his proxy throughout the coming 5 years, expect to see the seat taken by an established party at the next election.
He's the perfect role model for their idle supporters. Couldn't be arsed to put in the hard yards, delivering leaflets, knocking on doors. They just sit there moaning about the people that will be wiping their arses and cleaning up their mess in a year or two's time.

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
I am not racist against any creed or colour but am slightly nationalistic. I want people to come to my Country, whether Black, white yellow or orange. But, I really want you to assimilate to my countries beliefs. Does that make me wrong?
I think it behoves those who arrive in a place to adapt to the host culture.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"countries beliefs", "my Country"

That's the bit I struggle with, when over half of the people think Brexit is a good idea I don't want to "assimilate" with any of them.

Neither do I want to "assimilate" with the extreme religious views of the DUP, Rees Mogg or Miriam Cates.

The myth of a long lost England because of immigration is frankly bollocks. More to do with the indigenous choosing online over the High Street and thinking that Gogglebox and Britain's Got Talent are a viable form of entertainment.

Last edited:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Is it racist to be nationalistic?

Sometimes. There are many different forms of nationalism.

A nationalism where you want your country to be the best it can possibly be is not racist. Such a country wears its values as a banner for all to see, it welcomes visitors and those who wish to settle within it, that share its values.

A nationalism that believes in the innate superiority of those born within its borders is absolutely racist, and furthermore stupid. Borders move, geneticists can warn of the dangers of inbreeding, and where does such “puritanism” stop?

Is it those at the continent’s borders? Or those at the country’s? Or could it be the county/state? Or the town? What about the street? Or the house number on the same street?

This second form of nationalism is both racist and makes us poorer as a country. I hope this helps.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
So, does that mean Irish immigrants need to convert to Protestantism? Surely not.
And Brits are the absolute worst at integrating as immigrants - generally not even bothering to learn the language.
If everyone coming to the UK has to conform to some sort of “model Britishness” we as a society would miss out on so much.
Celebrate diversity and enjoy what other cultures bring to the UK 👍

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
So, does that mean Irish immigrants need to convert to Protestantism? Surely not.
And Brits are the absolute worst at integrating as immigrants - generally not even bothering to learn the language.
If everyone coming to the UK has to conform to some sort of “model Britishness” we as a society would miss out on so much.
Celebrate diversity and enjoy what other cultures bring to the UK 👍

Quite.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sometimes. There are many different forms of nationalism.

A nationalism where you want your country to be the best it can possibly be is not racist. Such a country wears its values as a banner for all to see, it welcomes visitors and those who wish to settle within it, that share its values.

A nationalism that believes in the innate superiority of those born within its borders is absolutely racist, and furthermore stupid. Borders move, geneticists can warn of the dangers of inbreeding, and where does such “puritanism” stop?

Is it those at the continent’s borders? Or those at the country’s? Or could it be the county/state? Or the town? What about the street? Or the house number on the same street?

This second form of nationalism is both racist and makes us poorer as a country. I hope this helps.
I call the first form patriotism: ‘We are brilliant.’

The second form is certainly racist nationalism: ‘We are intrinsically superior to other countries, races, and peoples.’

I’m not sure if many Reform supporters are able or inclined to draw the same definition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here