Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Assault is assault. As murder is murder. Try going and throwing a milkshake over a police officer and see how quickly you're arrested for assault on an emergency worker.

I'm not angry about it - just think it's sad that the politics has now been reduced to "well he's a far right cvnt so deserves assaulting".

If you take your Twatter feed as a barometer of public feeling then you're more than a little daft.
Absolutely true, but also...

...f that guy.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely true, but also...

...f that guy.
I disagree. Millions like Farrage in this country, and what he stands for. The fact he got a sniff at politics is the failure of the establishment and regardless politicians of every kind deserve to go about their electoral businesss without being assaulted by some silly little girl who’s clearly ignorant and immature amongst much else probably.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dangerous thinking. Who is the arbiter of whether a politician deserves to be assaulted — you? No. Just don’t do it. Use your brains to attack your political enemies if you must. How long will it be before someone who takes exception to Starmer or Sunak deciding to attack them? A milkshake today, a brick tomorrow. Then a knife? In a democracy, our politicians are accessible. Let’s keep it that way.
did I say I agreed? I didn’t. I said actions have consequences. If you are a politician then you have responsibilities regards your words, actions and behaviour. if you act like a dickhead then you’ll attract similar. It’s a two way street one which he thinks is one way only.

ironically he would be much more successful if he toned it down but he’s incapable of doing so.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Politics was reduced to that 20 years ago, when it happened to left wing John Prescott. :shrug:
And I don't take Twitter as a barometer of public feeling, I was just pointing out that the awful right-wing Dan Wooton, Isabel Oakeshott, Miles Gardner, Aaron Banks types couldn't get their tweets out quick enough demanding this "thug" be locked up and so on. And I'm afraid they were very much less on the ball as a group when a sitting MP was murdered. And I'm not going to refrain from saying as much just because that boring idiot @Colonel Mustard might cry.
That’s simply not true. There was/is universal condemnation when MPs are murdered. From all sides.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Where does it end though, and who gets to decide? What you find very distasteful about Farage, some in the hard left of the Labour Party feel about Starmer. If they feel strongly they’re right and he’s wrong, does that then justify them assaulting him?

I don’t think this kind of thing has a place in politics full stop. Not to anyone.
oh the deflection and outrage let’s see if we can get the hard left in on the argument.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That’s simply not true. There was/is universal condemnation when MPs are murdered. From all sides.
I agree there was universal condemnation, absolutely. My point here is the level of outrage was simply not there, and whilst lots of commentators on all sides had something to say on that when it happened, they did not rush to do so in the way we are seeing here.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It was a milkshake, not acid.

All the apologists for the far-thick and their Gbeebies/right-wing media chums are absolutely apoplectic with rage over this. It's funny, there simply wasn't the same torrent of outrage on my Twitter feed after Jo Cox. But then again, she was just murdered.
Yes, and politicians have been subjected to egg throwing throughout history (Cameron) (Prescott) (Corbyn) and green custard (Mandleson) purple powder ( Blair) …

There are plenty of things to be morally outraged at in British politics but dairy products being thrown at politicians while technically an assault and not pleasant for the victim, isn’t one of them.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don't remember @Colonel Mustard getting upset when Tommy Robinson's goons were assaulting people and publicly urinating in the name of politics, culminating in Laurence Fox, the leader of another 'party' drunkenly crashing into a bus and trying to blame some black kids on it.

But chuck a little milkshake around....

Almost certainly staged anyway.
I’ve no idea what you’re talking about or why you would have any awareness of what I thought about these events — had I known they were happening.

If it isn’t clear, let me spell it out. All acts of political violence, whether it involves a ‘little milkshake’ or something more lethal, are the acts of fascists and total losers, and if you can’t see where this leads, you’re an idiot. I’ve said enough on this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, and politicians have been subjected to egg throwing throughout history (Cameron) (Prescott) (Corbyn) and green custard (Mandleson) purple powder ( Blair) …

There are plenty of things to be morally outraged in British politics but dairy products being thrown at politicians while technically an assault and not pleasant for the victim, isn’t one of them.
Exactly. It's not nice, and certain types will always attract this sort of thing.

Careful though, Colonel Fücktard might cry if you don't demand this thug be locked up immediately.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’ve no idea what you’re talking about or why you would have any awareness of what I thought about these events — had I known they were happening.

If it isn’t clear, let me spell it out. All acts of political violence, whether it involves a ‘little milkshake’ or something more lethal, are the acts of fascists and total losers, and if you can’t see where this leads, you’re an idiot. I’ve said enough on this.
Correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here