Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
You aren't following @Eric the meek 's narrative.

But it is hard to 'hear' irony in flat text so making an interpretation mistake it is an easy mistake to make.

And it's the meat John West rejects, that makes John West the best.

Or something.
In regards to @Eric the meek I'm confused about how else to interpret your narrative to be honest, you may have to explain it to me. From my point of view you are saying that people stuck in crap jobs at the bottom of the ladder are blaming immigrants as a cop out because they can't be bothered to skill up and get better paid work. Or that they haven't realised they should try and do this. My point is that irregardless of their views on immigration it is very hard for some people to do this and in other context you would never offer it as a solution.
I'm not sure what your first sentence has to do with the rest of what you have written. Are you saying that such people . . . . are being mean to brown people who use food banks? That would surely be unreasonable, given the vast majority of people who use food banks are white.
If I'm being dim, please put me right :thumbsup:
My point of is that middle class Liberals have no problem sticking the boot into the working class, in the same manner as a Tory, the moment they can label them as a bigot. Specifically due to their anti immigration views. It's fine to disagree with them but painting them as an unwashed mass of ignorance helps no one. Telling them to get a simply get a better job is equally pointless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In regards to @Eric the meek I'm confused about how else to interpret your narrative to be honest, you may have to explain it to me. From my point of view you are saying that people stuck in crap jobs at the bottom of the ladder are blaming immigrants as a cop out because they can't be bothered to skill up and get better paid work. Or that they haven't realised they should try and do this. My point is that irregardless of their views on immigration it is very hard for some people to do this and in other context you would never offer it as a solution.

My point of is that middle class Liberals have no problem sticking the boot into the working class, in the same manner as a Tory, the moment they can label them as a bigot. Specifically due to their anti immigration views. It's fine to disagree with them but painting them as an unwashed mass of ignorance helps no one. Telling them to get a simply get a better job is equally pointless.
Middle class liberals? I am not a liberal.

A bigot is a bigot is a bigot. I don't need to lable someone who is not a bigot a bigot. That would be silly.

And I am not a liberal.

I would never tell someone to get a better job if they can't. I would expect they would have thought about that themselves, though. If they can't, if they blame foreigners, that would be bad. I would not criticize them until they did that. Otherwise, people who cannot get a better job and are stuck in a job that does not pay well, because they have reached the limit of their employability, because they are not capable of better, have my sympathies. 'Because' is doing a lot of heavy lifting, there, though.

Oh, and I hate to say this but there is no such word as irregardless.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Middle class liberals? I am not a liberal.

A bigot is a bigot is a bigot. I don't need to lable someone who is not a bigot a bigot. That would be silly.

And I am not a liberal.

I would never tell someone to get a better job if they can't. I would expect they would have thought about that themselves, though. If they can't, if they blame foreigners, that would be bad. I would not criticize them until they did that. Otherwise, people who cannot get a better job and are stuck in a job that does not pay well, because they have reached the limit of their employability, because they are not capable of better, have my sympathies. 'Because' is doing a lot of heavy lifting, there, though.
Firstly, I never called you a liberal. Apologies if you think I did.

Secondly, it's not bigoted to question if mass immigration, at it's current level, has a negative effect on those at the bottom of society. I'm not saying you believe that but some people absolutely do.

Thirdly, I think that most people are stuck in shit jobs because of circumstances. Debt, kids, illness. It's a cycle that's hard to break. How can someone skill up when they need to spend all their time working? And would you also agree with me that's it's relatively hard for someone from a true working class background to escape menial labour?
If you dismiss someone who querys whether 800,000 immigrants a year might make the scramble at the bottom a bit harder by telling them to shut up and get a better job, where do you think that leads to? Brexit and reform at 17% in the polls is my answer.
Oh, and I hate to say this but there is no such word as irregardless.
Okay but I still think my use of verbatim was correct.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
@Ike and Tina Burner, allow me to clear a few things up.

First, my intentions are always good. Please do remember that. Hold that thought throughout reading the following.
Second, you make an awful lot of assumptions. An awful lot. I lost count of the number of times you have used the prefix 'you seem to' when describing Herr Tubthumper and myself. This leads to you making numerous mistakes. That's the price of having a pre-conceived idea, before you've examined the evidence.
Third, I don't see any point in defending or confirming things I haven't written.
Fourth, I didn't see any need to defend myself with things like 'we should help the vulnerable', i.e. those on benefits and use foodbanks. I was hoping that is a given.

I came on here to explain how blaming immigration and 'foreigners taking our jobs' can prevent you taking the necessary steps to improve your life. I didn't claim, hint or suggest that it is the only reason why some people have a low paid job. I didn't read the Tory manifesto, and I didn't take an idea from Jacob Rees-Mogg's autbiography. I don't think the contributor from Burnley is fictitious, but even if he is, as luck would have it, you still have the actual, real-world experience of my many family trips to nearby Accrington.

East Lancashire is a land of contrasts. Old cotton mills in the valleys, rows of terraced houses up the valley sides, and glorious walks up on the tops. The contrasts are also stark in the two main communities - white British and British Pakistani, who tend not to mix, and only then around the edges. The victimhood I wrote about is primarily in some white British and is sometimes accompanied by unpalatable views on the Asians, who are held responsible for their problems. Locals have a name for such people, whose lives are blighted by their own prejudices.

But the good news it isn't all like that. There are people on both sides of the community, who do very well for themselves, with their own businesses and large houses out on the outskirts of town. I would suggest that these people have learned to work with the other half of the community, rather than against them. This is the message I wanted to convey.

Please do try not to be so suspicious of someone's motives. It doesn't help anyone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am not going to sully the Dday thread with this, but wanted to point out the fool that calls himself Tommy Robinson aka Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

He has deleted the original post but doubled down at first. A couple of his followers tried to make out it was Dunkirk (apart from the fact these are American troops.

Then when brought to task about there being no stretchers nor wounded in the AI picture, tried to claim he was the best journalist in Britain

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
GPZftu6bEAA0X2i.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Before the calm comes the storm.

The lunatics are out in force in a last hurrah across Europe.

They think they are about to 'win'.

But they are close to being properly recognised as the rats that they are.

The more the noise rises for the likes of Farage, the more the people will see them for the rats they are.

But there is still some storm to endure. Buckle up and resist.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why did Farage feel the need to tell us he was there in a personal capacity?

He could have still got his dig in on Sunak without saying that.

Is he telling us he paid for his own expenses?

Well I can't imagine an official capacity for a seven times failed General Election candidate. But then again I thought much the same about Question Time and he's appeared on there more than any other politician in it's history :shrug:

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Farage is a clever politcian but like so many so easy to say what should be done when you are not in the position to have tomake the decision.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well I can't imagine an official capacity for a seven times failed General Election candidate. But then again I thought much the same about Question Time and he's appeared on there more than any other politician in it's history :shrug:
The frequency with which Farage has been invited to appear on QT rather undermines the Right's repeated claims about Left-wing bias at the BBC - although we know that honesty, logic or consistency are not qualities which are abundant among Right-wingers!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Indeed.

But my question wasn't 'why was he there in a personal capacity'? (We've only got his word that he was).
My question was 'why did he feel the need to tell us he was there in a personal capacity'? (When most people could not imagine an official capacity).

Do you see my point? It is as if he was trying to head off any questions on who might have paid for his expenses to be there.

The reason I have raised this question, is that the following was posted on the Ukraine war thread a few days ago.

From the Washington Post:
"Russia is co-opting far-right politicians in Europe with cash, officials say. Our colleagues Catherine Belton and Souad Mekhennet report that a Kremlin-backed media outlet, the Prague-based Voice of Europe, is being used to funnel hundreds of thousands of euros to dozens of far-right politicians in more than five countries to plant Kremlin propaganda in Western media that would sow division in Europe and bolster the position of pro-Russian candidates in this week’s European Parliament elections, according to interviews with a dozen European intelligence officials from five countries. "

(I realise the article is about the EU and the EU elections).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Along with quite a lot of other stuff including free movement for musicians etc.

Hopefully Sir Keir will start drip feeding the idea of European reintegration and step by step over the next few years, we’ll gradually get a lot of these things back.
'Hopefully', you say.
When the EU recently offered the UK a limited freedom of movement deal for young people, the UK government and Labour rejected it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here