Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nigel Farage and Reform

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Understand that, and maybe they'll be a way of accommodating this, not with strict PR, but that'll be a part of the debate I'm sure. That said, Labour are predicted to win 39.7% of the votes cast, which will see them with around 72% of the seats in Parliament, representative?
Representative of the proportion of all of the vote. No obviously not. Representative of the wishes of 660 or so sets of local people ? Yes, absolutely.

Personally I think the latter is better. In theory working class people get a representative who understands their needs, “woke” places like Brighton Pavilion or Hove & Portslade get a rep who “gets” them and, frankly, so might Clacton’s racists.

I like that system, you prefer PR and that’s fine. We’ve both got good reasons why I think.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If the Tories were prepared to go against the wishes of their rank and file and defenestrate Johnson, I can hardly see them embracing Farage. And Farage won't want to do this anyway. He is making good money as a grifter. His Reform 'Party' is a private company owned by himself, and member fees god directly into his bank account. He isn't going to give that up in return for an actual job that requires actual work.

So I suspect your concerns will prove to be unfounded.

There may be mass Tory MP defection to Reform after the GE, but we are talking about what would be left of the current talentless shower, plus the more hairy-arsed element of the new intake (if there is one).
I think you're right. Farage will run a mile from anything that looks like work or accountability. He is a thin-skinned perpetual victim. I am hoping that the scrutiny he is getting, although far from as robust as it should be, is showing what a drama queen he is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Labour don't want to lose FPTP, half the votes they receive this election will be tactical, and due to FPTP.
I probably would prefer FPTP to PR, in returning an MP for each constituency, but I hate having to guess which way to cast my vote to not get a Tory, and would like to be able to select my preferred candidate, and an alternate if my preferred candidate is not well supported enough by others to be in the race.
If we had PR, and there were 7 candidates in a seat where the sitting MP is a tory, I would not have an effing clue how to vote to stand the greatest chance of not having a Tory MP. Instead, with FPTP, I can look up who is in second place (there are websites) and vote accordingly. As it happens, this is Labour in my constituency. So I am cock-a-hoop. Alas it is likely the tory will win, whether it is by FPTP, PR or interpretative dance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The

Said ran

Said rank and file voted for Truss as leader, she made Boris look like a “wet” unfortunately anything is possible.
Let’s look on the bright side, at least we are not facing the choice between a man with severe dementia and a felon!!
But the parliamentary conservative party booted Truss out even more ruthlessly than the booted Johnson out.

Not sure that the old fellah's dementia is 'severe' either. That aside, you are right hat we do at least have someone sensible to vote for.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Strictly speaking you are voting for a person and not a party. Indeed you might see an independent or two get in this time and it was how Martin Bell got elected.

While I agree with a lot of what Harry said, my fundamental opposition to PR is that it rejects Independents and great local candidates for the sake of a few more extreme cranks in Parliament. No thanks.
Alternative vote or Supplementary Vote would allow you to vote for your independent candidate, but also for another if your first choice is not popular enough in the rest of the constituency.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the absolute slapping the Tories are about to get will be the start of a Five Year rebuild, the establishment won't want them to disappear and the planning for this started way before the election was called. They know what's going to happen and may, in a perverse way, encourage the narrative that their over, as it may galvanize what "was" the rank and file.
Indeed. It will be interesting to see whether they stick with Sunak (who has a 5 year plan, apparently) or will pressure him to stand down. Even though Sunak isn't himself a raving lunatic, he failed to ditch the madcap Rwanda nonsense when he had a chance, and may therefore be weak. And the Tories hate a loser. It may take them a couple of goes (and byelection defeats) before they find someone sensible though. It will probably be someone none of us have heard of. I certainly hop so. Having a sensible Tory party would be very pleasing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do apologize for getting aeriated. Maybe if we had time we might be able to reach some sort of agreement. I certainly don't subscribe to the Thatcher strategy of depriving the enemy (Sinn Fein) of 'the oxygen of publicity'. Farage is free to gob off as much as he likes (as long as he stays within the limits of the law). Ironically were he to become an MP he could use parliamentary privilege to defame and lie to the nation.

I agree that fascism won't just disappear. And what goes around comes around. But there is no evidence that forcing something underground inevitably makes it bigger. For example, there is a lot of chat about fox hunting still happening despite the ban. 'Forced underground'. This is correct but the number of foxes killed by hunts has fallen hugely. Most of the 400,000 foxes that are killed each year (to keep the population stable) used to be killed by hunts. The league for cruelty against animals reports currently maybe 600 illegal hunt events a year. Sounds terrible but if each event kills 3 foxes, that's 1,800. There would need to be more than 200 times as much illegal foxhunting for 'forcing it underground' to have made foxhunting worse. It has clearly not made it bigger.

I would also add that the 'web of hate we are unaware of' isn't such a bad thing if none of us are made aware of it. In any case, we would be very aware of it, as we already are, via the secret service. Fascism spreads via normalization, not by its suppression.

In any case our discussion was not about how to deal with fascism. It was about what the consequences would be of a 'fair' electoral system that gave Farage 70 seats. You still think Farage with 70 seats is preferable to underground fascism (or the overground fascism we have now, which is more likely if the status quo remains) and a price worth paying if we get 40 Liberals and 30 greens? OK. I don't. Let's leave it there.

I would imagine that we have a common view on 85% of issues. It's a bit sad that it is possible to disagree so fundamentally over the other 15%. Humans, eh? :wink: :thumbsup:
You've got to love a debate though, after all, we use to be able to do that ....

We probably agree on so much more, the vast majority of the country are decent people who look after one another, and NSC is no different. You'll always have the "Nigel's" ;) :LOL::LOL:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Indeed. It will be interesting to see whether they stick with Sunak (who has a 5 year plan, apparently) or will pressure him to stand down. Even though Sunak isn't himself a raving lunatic, he failed to ditch the madcap Rwanda nonsense when he had a chance, and may therefore be weak. And the Tories hate a loser. It may take them a couple of goes (and byelection defeats) before they find someone sensible though. It will probably be someone none of us have heard of. I certainly hop so. Having a sensible Tory party would be very pleasing.
Sunak's a busted flush, they'll go for a candidate from a council estate, who has "made good".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Alternative vote or Supplementary Vote would allow you to vote for your independent candidate, but also for another if your first choice is not popular enough in the rest of the constituency.
That’s what we’ve already rejected in a referendum though, right?

IIRC a bit of a compromise that didn’t really excite anyone. Lost 67/32 on a 40% turnout.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If we had PR, and there were 7 candidates in a seat where the sitting MP is a tory, I would not have an effing clue how to vote to stand the greatest chance of not having a Tory MP. Instead, with FPTP, I can look up who is in second place (there are websites) and vote accordingly. As it happens, this is Labour in my constituency. So I am cock-a-hoop. Alas it is likely the tory will win, whether it is by FPTP, PR or interpretative dance.
f*** PR, I understand and agree to an extent with your issues with PR. Its the love for FPTP I dont get.
I get that it works for you in your constituency because Labour are your party, but it isn't like that everywhere.
Let's say its close between all 3 major parties, you want Labour, but if it can't be Labour, you would prefer Liberal to Tory. With FPTP, Tories nick in, Liberals come a close second, and Labour 3rd, are you sure you would be happy that you didn't get the chance to have your Labour vote converted to a Liberal one in this circumstance?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
"Interpretative Dance", you may be on to something!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
If the Tories were prepared to go against the wishes of their rank and file and defenestrate Johnson, I can hardly see them embracing Farage. And Farage won't want to do this anyway. He is making good money as a grifter. His Reform 'Party' is a private company owned by himself, and member fees god directly into his bank account. He isn't going to give that up in return for an actual job that requires actual work.

So I suspect your concerns will prove to be unfounded.

There may be mass Tory MP defection to Reform after the GE, but we are talking about what would be left of the current talentless shower, plus the more hairy-arsed element of the new intake (if there is one).
Hope you're right Harry -
And totally agree on slimy Nige (even if the Tories want him) - hopefully he will crawl back into the sh*thole he's crawled out of.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hope you're right Harry -
And totally agree on slimy Nige (even if the Tories want him) - hopefully he will crawl back into the sh*thole he's crawled out of.
He'll be on Dancing on Ice before getting a proper job and working 9-5

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
f*** PR, I understand and agree to an extent with your issues with PR. Its the love for FPTP I dont get.
I get that it works for you in your constituency because Labour are your party, but it isn't like that everywhere.
Let's say its close between all 3 major parties, you want Labour, but if it can't be Labour, you would prefer Liberal to Tory. With FPTP, Tories nick in, Liberals come a close second, and Labour 3rd, are you sure you would be happy that you didn't get the chance to have your Labour vote converted to a Liberal one in this circumstance?
If I game my vote like that in a three horse seat, what's to stop the tory gaming it exactly the opposite? I would add that it is hard enough getting the thickies and the infirm to vote now. How would they cope with something more complicated than FPTP? Furthermore, I don't particularly want my vote transferred to the liberals just to keep the tory out. It would depend on who the liberal was. Finally. if the tories and labour all put liberal as their second preference, it would be wrong if the liberal won the seat with fewest first preference votes.

If I have got the system wrong please don't explain it to me. I am happy with FPTP and even though I have had other systems explained to me, and some of them sounded quite nice, I can never remember what they are and they all seem a bit silly, and will only appeal to supporters of minority parties because it will get them more seats.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is hard to legislate against lying. And what makes you think someone prepared to join the Tories under cover would flock to out himself and stand for reform just so that PR can convert him from a member of the Tory opposition to a member of the Reform opposition? And why would someone unprincipled become principled just because of PR?

Please correct me if my logic is flawed.
It isn't lying, it's keeping their mouths shut about what they really think and getting elected on a Party Manifesto that is much more centrist than they are. If a party existed that was closer to their view, and had a chance of winning a seat, there would be no need to hide in the Tory or Labour parties and try and shift those parties further left or right.
As it is, each party is a coalition anyway, but until they start voting or making speeches in Parliament, we don't always know how far left or right some of the buggers are.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
They smelled blood on Sunak before the election and he has limped through it like an aged impala with a compacted hoof. If they lose, he'll last as long as it takes the contenders to consult their backers and then he'll be gone whether he wants to go or not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If I game my vote like that in a three horse seat, what's to stop the tory gaming it exactly the opposite? I would add that it is hard enough getting the thickies and the infirm to vote now. How would they cope with something more complicated than FPTP? Furthermore, I don't particularly want my vote transferred to the liberals just to keep the tory out. It would depend on who the liberal was. Finally. if the tories and labour all put liberal as their second preference, it would be wrong if the liberal won the seat with fewest first preference votes.

If I have got the system wrong please don't explain it to me. I am happy with FPTP and even though I have had other systems explained to me, and some of them sounded quite nice, I can never remember what they are and they all seem a bit silly, and will only appeal to supporters of minority parties because it will get them more seats.
Yeah you've got it wrong, and accept that you don't want to consider an alternative, it just surprises me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You've spilt so much (electronic) ink on PR but, it seems, that you quite literally don't understand what it is. Ditto with the impact of a flat tax.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You've spilt so much (electronic) ink on PR but, it seems, that you quite literally don't understand what it is. Ditto with the impact of a flat tax.
1. I don't really care
2. The latter is easy to understand shirley?

(edit: the latter with some tweaks.)

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Representative of the proportion of all of the vote. No obviously not. Representative of the wishes of 660 or so sets of local people ? Yes, absolutely.

Personally I think the latter is better. In theory working class people get a representative who understands their needs, “woke” places like Brighton Pavilion or Hove & Portslade get a rep who “gets” them and, frankly, so might Clacton’s racists.

I like that system, you prefer PR and that’s fine. We’ve both got good reasons why I think.
I think we both know that in practice this doesn't happen so I don't think you can use it as a reason to keep FPTP.

a) FPTP encourages tactical voting - I will likely be voting who has the best chance of keeping out the Tory in my seat. That means Labour, and I really don't want to vote for them but would do so if it means keeping out the Tory.
b) Parties parachute unpopular-but-nevertheless-senior politicians into safe seats knowing that an area can be taken for granted.

This idea that fair representation shouldn't happen because you don't like their politics is for the birds. I hate Farage/Tice but if 20% vote for them, they deserve that representation. Let's see what a mess they make if they ever get a whiff of power. Would we prefer that he gets to make a merge deal with the Tories and those people who voted Tory then get a political position they didn't vote for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here