Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicolas is our best central midfielder

It was the fourth time I've seen him play this season and Nicolas has got better and better. But Full Harris, it's WAY too early to give him that accolade.

The carnage of last night convinces me that McGhee will not start any game without Oatway, but if he can find a midfield balance that includes Chippy and Nicolas too, then we may on to something in about a month's time. Patience until then, peeps.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Nicholas was by far our best player last night. Let's just hope that we can hold on to him.

:rolleyes:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Zebedee said:
Nicholas was by far our best player last night. Let's just hope that we can hold on to him.

:rolleyes:

Disagree. Jarrett was easily our best outfield player last night. No contest. Nicolas did OK, but did nothing to make him stand out from the overall mediocrity.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought Nicolas was good again today, tigerish and good at keeping the ball, something we badly needed. Once he has settled in he will cause selection headaches for Mr McGhee.
Andy Naylor describes him in the Sport Argus as a Paul Kitson lookalike, can anyone see it because I'm damned if I can.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
dougdeep said:
I thought Nicolas was good again today, tigerish and good at keeping the ball, something we badly needed. Once he has settled in he will cause selection headaches for Mr McGhee.
Andy Naylor describes him in the Sport Argus as a Paul Kitson lookalike, can anyone see it because I'm damned if I can.

He was my MOM again yesterday,just gets on with it with out any fuss and just does the simple things with the ball.

I suppose in a way a bit like Ray Wilkins a few years ago now,but not quite in the same class yet,but give it time!

As for Paul Kitson lookalike,black hair and big nose??

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seems much better than most of the midfielders we've had on loan. I think with Carpenter alongside he'd work well, as possibly a bit lightweight.

Surely he won't get a game for Chelsea this season so he might as well stick with us :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gareth is clearly talking shite.

Nicolas has been excellent in all three matches this season - quite neat and tidy, if a little lightweight with one or two of his tackles. The main thing that concerned me yesterday was how easily both him and Hinshelwood got caught ball-watching.

At least three or four times, the Albion were on the attatck, it broke down, Coventry broke and it took far too long for Nicolas and Hinshelwood to get back - leaving the defence exposed. I am all for attacking football, and at times we were very good in the first half, but the possibility of a counter-attack must be considered the whole time, and these two were a little guilty of not covering their back at the time.

But that's a little picky, as generally I though they played together really well. Just don't play Hinshelwood at right back.

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
The Large One said:
Gareth is clearly talking shite.

Nicolas has been excellent in all three matches this season - quite neat and tidy, if a little lightweight with one or two of his tackles. The main thing that concerned me yesterday was how easily both him and Hinshelwood got caught ball-watching.

At least three or four times, the Albion were on the attatck, it broke down, Coventry broke and it took far too long for Nicolas and Hinshelwood to get back - leaving the defence exposed. I am all for attacking football, and at times we were very good in the first half, but the possibility of a counter-attack must be considered the whole time, and these two were a little guilty of not covering their back at the time.

But that's a little picky, as generally I though they played together really well. Just don't play Hinshelwood at right back.

Yeah the ball watching was a feature, particularly in the second-half. But he is quite tidy with the ball, and again, he will get better.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I thought he was impressive; a good passer and keeps the ball well which is exactly the sort of thing you need to do to stay in this division

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
dougdeep said:

I think he looks like Diego Maradona.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
saafend_seagull said:
virgo? the man cant pass at all, and harding gets skinned by every right midfield player, and he also cant pass. these two are no where near this levels standard. two loan signings in these positions would be need to improve this team.

...but then, who would score our last minute equalisers?;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here